Librarium Online Forums banner

1496 Eldar

782 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Dire 
#1 ·
I've been trying to make an entire wave serpent mounted army, and this is what I'm thinking of so far. What does everyone think?

Farseer with doom
10 dire avengers
Wave serpent with twin linked shuriken cannon, and shuriken cannon

10 dire avengers

10 dire avengers

7 Fire dragons

7 Fire dragons

9 Howling Banshees + exarch

Will this work?

See less See more
#2 ·
I think you have an overreliance on Fire Dragons for anti-tank purposes. Maybe one squad of them (no more than 6 should be needed), but I wouldn't take two. Instead, consider giving a few of your Wave Serpents some twin-linked Bright Lances. Also consider grabbing another CC squad; your Banshees are pretty much alone.

Your Dire Avengers could use an Exarch with Bladestorm etc., and what purposes does your Banshee Exarch have?

#3 ·
the exarch was there just to eat up some of the last points that I had leftover, so basically nothing.
So you think i should make it one unit of 6 dragons and then add another unit of banshees?
I figure that a unit of scorpions would be best suited fighting larger units with dodgy armour, but that's basically what my cannons are going to be used for, making any unit of scorpions redundant.

#5 ·
if you want some ideas, i posted a mech eldar list a little while ago and this is what mine looks like.

-farseer- doom, fortune, stones

-10 banshees- executioner, warshout
-- wave serpent- scatter lasers, shuriken cannon, stones
-6 fire dragons- exarch, tank hunters, firepike
-6 scorpions- exarch, scorpion claw, shadowstrike

-2 X 10 dire avengers- exarch, bladestorm, twin catapults
-- wave serpent- lances, stones
-- wave serpent- EML, stones

-falcon- starcannon, holofields, stones

the farseer is in with the banshees to help in assault, the scorpions infiltrate to cause havoc, and the rest just hop in and out of their transports after shooting. hope this helps with ideas.

#7 ·
The DAs really benefit greatly with an exarch with bladestorm in each squad. If you dropped one squad of DAs and thier transport, as well as one fire dragon from each squad, you may have enough points for the exarchs and a second farseer with doom for the second squad of DAs, as well as some TL bright lances on the waveserpents. Mayeb something like this:

farseer- doom
farseer- doom

10 DAs with exarch, bladestorm and extra shuriken cat
waveserpent, TL shuriken cannons, shuriken cannon

10 DAs with exarch, bladestorm and extra shuriken cat

6 firedragons
waveserpent, TL Bright lances, shuriken cannon

6 firedragons
waveserpent, TL bright lances, shuriken cannon

10 banshees + exarch

With about 50 or so points to spend on upgrades to the serpents or extra farseer powers. The farseers can go with whatever unit needs them the most, i.e. for hordes like orks or nids they can go with the DAs, against marines or CC armies they can help out the banshees in CC.

Let me know what you think of these idea, hope they are of some help!

Zezza

#8 ·
To be perferctly honest, I don't understand why everyone swears by bladestorm so much. What makes it so good? Sure you get assault 3, but you lose the 2 shots next turn. You lose so many shots in a game, especially if I'm dropping an entire unit of DA to achieve it. I can't justify justify losing 20 shots every turn, so that I can score another 10 in two other units every second turn.
Or is there something I'm not getting?

#9 ·
I'm not sure if you're aware of how mounted avenger squads work. When done unleashing their bladestormy payload, they can hop back into their taxi the following turn to be moved to a location where they can again be of use.

#10 ·
ah, I get it, so basically every turn that their out of the vehicle, they get their bladestrom attack. See I was looking at more a WW1 light cavalry approach, where you charge in on your mounts, then dismount, and attack like normal, leaving your horse where you dismounted. The major difference being that my mounts are wave serpents, armed to the teeth with shuriken cannons. I just had a weird approach to the whole mounted army thing.
Anyways thanks heaps for the input, all of it was helpful.

#11 ·
I really think you can exchange full-shuriken mounts with scatter-laser + twin catapults combination. The same cost, just a little lower firepower (and with so many Avengers you don't need it) and far better range. To have 12 inches and not to have 12 inches is 24 inches in total. :)

Bladestorm? I find it great in lightning strike tactic (all avengers in big group with serpents dismount, bladestorm and kill every enemy in sight, then next turn they mount in and transport float with 36" away). It's really great, and this army could use it well.

I personally like to take Fire Dragon Exarch with Dragon Breathe's Flamer combined with Crack shot, as it causes many wounds on marines and leave no survivors when you are shooting at Sv 4+ targets. 5 Meltas + 6 meltaboms is enought to destroy almost every vehicle, and flamer makes them more versalite.

I like the idea. Only exchange Farseers with foot Autarchs, Increase numbers of aspect warriors to 10 in every squad and you have doubled Aspect Attack Wave Apocalypse formation.

Then pray for Escalation. If you have it, you won. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.