Tau 1500 - Possible GT list. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x8)

Tau 1500 - Possible GT list.

List A - Tweeked
    HQ
    Shas'el Plasma Rockets Multitracker HW Targetting Array 102

Troops
    Fire Warriors, 10 Shas'ui Markerlight HW Target Lock Bonded
    Kroot, 10
    Kroot, 10

Elites
    Crisis Suits, 2 Plasma x2 Rockets x2 Multitracker x2
    Crisis Suits, 2 TL Rockets x2 Multitracker x2

Fast Attack

Heavy Support
    XV-88s, 2 Multitrackers x 2 Team Leader with HW Target Lock
    XV-88s, 2 Shield Gens x2 Team Leader with HW Target Lock

Points Summary:
    HQ: 102
    Troops: 660
    Elites: 220
    Fast Attack: 0
    Heavy Support: 510
    Total: 1492

This is a list I have just tweeked from my standard playlist which was this:

List B - Old List
    HQ
    Shas'el Plasma Rockets Multitracker HW

Troops
    Kroot, 10
    Kroot, 10

Elites

Fast Attack
    Piranha, 1 Fusion Gun Targeting Array Seekers x2
    Piranha, 1 Fusion Gun Targeting Array Seekers x2

Heavy Support

Points Summary:
    HQ: 92
    Troops: 660
    Elites: 248
    Fast Attack: 180
    Heavy Support: 320
    Total: 1500
    As you can see one of the Crisis teams has dropped its Plasma for TL Rocket pods, allowing for the Shas'el to get a targetting array, which while I don't think is fully needed, still helps.

The Piranhas I like, especially for the seekers I have added to them, but sadly after playing with them for a while, they don't seem to make their points back as often as I would like. They are mainly in my list for the use of the seekers, but I think they really need more markerlights to be made more useful.

The idea of the 3rd XV-88 squad is that its just more anti tank, only that this new squad can't fire everything like the other two. My reasoning for this squad is that the shield gens will basically allow me a 'mobile cover save', allowing me to place this unit last of all my Heavy Support, and free to place it in open space to combat armour or other nasty opposition heavy support choices. (The other two deploy into cover.)

This list, list B, went up against 2 chaos lists this weekend and lost both games, although the first game two FW squads vanished due to some good shooting, and the 2nd game was only lost due to two Chaos marines not dying when they should of. D:
    So I still think list B is good, but like I say, it really needs more markerlights for the Piranhas to be most useful, and that only really means dropping the kroot for some Pathfinders, and even then I don't think it would be a full squad of them.

List A, the tweeked list, packs more direct punch. (the seekers in B are nice for indirect punches, but again, they need the markerlights to work.) 6 TL Railguns, all being able to fire at seperate targets. 4 of them also allow for SMS shots.... Hmmm tasty :3
    The 4 markerlights in the list I think will still be able to increase the BS of any of these XV-88 units if required, but then I fear it still has the same 'hit or miss' factor that it does with the seekers from list B.

-I'm happy with the Shas'el.
    -I'm happy with the four squads of FW
    -The Kroot can be changed.
    -The Plas/rocket suits are Fine.
    -The TL rocket suits are untested but I fear they lack the AP to push invul saves on an often basis.
    -I'm happy with the orignal two multitracker squads of XV88s
    -The 3rd XV88 unit is untested, though I am confident that it can preform, especially in order to combat the opposition putting down some armour out of reach of the other two squads. And also, if used well in conjunction with areas of terrain pieces and LoS to minimise its own incoming fire.

Last edited by Toastee; May 25th, 2008 at 20:51.
    Want to chat? You can normally find me in the LO CHAT!
    LO CHAT! JOIN US NOW AND BECOME A GOD OF BACON.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Striving for the right Ravenscraig's Avatar
    In exile on Earth - currently in Glasgow, Scotland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Toastee View Post
    -I'm happy with the Shas'el.
    -I'm happy with the four squads of FW
    -The Kroot can be changed.
    -The Plas/rocket suits are Fine.
    -The TL rocket suits are untested but I fear they lack the AP to push invul saves on an often basis.
    -I'm happy with the orignal two multitracker squads of XV88s.
    Don't do it, Brother! Somehow, 6 Troop choices and no FA in 1500pts just seems unbalanced to me, especially since all of your troops are footsloggers. There are certain missions where having just one fast-moving FA choice (a naked Piranha would do) might make the difference between winning and losing - I can't imagine you'll want to use the extra movement capability of your XV8s to capture objectives/table quarter, etc., so without something like a Piranha, how will you achieve this?

In fact, the more I think about it, I feel your list is just too static to be truly effective at a tournie - I really do think you'd be better off with 2 single Piranha, for the reasons outlined above. 3 x 2 XV88s seems to be a bit of overkill. You're only talking about a an absolute max of 6 RG hits a turn, and I feel that many points to give you 2 more XV88s should, not could, be spent on something else, principally FA.

I would suggest that MTs are of far less use than ASS on XV88s. SMS isn't hugely powerful, and if you're in range to fire your SMS, then your opponent is too close to your XV88s - unless you're behind cover, in which case you're not getting the benefit of those expensive TL RGs.

2 shield generators are an expensive - and somewhat unexpected - choice. Far better to give the Team Leader a Drone Controller and give him 2 Shield Drones, which will have a 2+ save since they're being used by XV88s.

Your XV8 squad with TL MPs doesn't need a MT (it has no use on single weapon armed suit) so a TA would be a much better choice.

If it were me, I'd drop one squad of FWs and the third squad of XV88s. Both represent overkill in their particular compartments at this sort of level. I'd use the points instead for a couple of Piranha with FBs and possibly another HQ 'El if I had the points.

Frankly, I think List A has lost balance and is simply too one-dimensional. For a tournie I really do believe you'd be much better off sticking with your original list.

~ Raven ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x8)

Thanks mate for the reply One thing I should have pointed out though, if what I'm hearing it going to be true, thent he 3rd heat of this seasons GT will be 5th Ed. So the amount of troops will be needed... not that I've never took less than 4 troop choices anyway mind. (I luvs mah troops :3)

One other thing I should say, is that my goal is to just go play... and maybe get into the final, but thats about it. I'm just going for 6 random games really. (But winning as many as possible will be nice ^_^)

The reason the 3rd squad of XV88s has shield gens over drones is that I really don't like the idea of my squad running away because the drone dies (Or even having to take a LD test for losing 25% because of the death of the drone.) That is how it works, right? I'm sure thats how it works, but I might be wrong... the two games I played on the weekend are the first in almost a year, so I've not played for a while. :/

Looking at the MTs on the TL rocket pod unit of XV8's I understand now. Tis was just a case of missing it and no removing it.

What I will do is make up a series of lists based on other peoples input compared to what I want for the force. (Yours will be 'List C - Raven', for example) This means I'll be able to give it playtesting and keep further stats on them so that it will be easier to compare all the lists come November.
    I'll make List C with the ASS on the XV88s, and tweek the Piranhas a bit. I doubt I will lose any of the FW though. As I say, I'm happy with them. They all work fairly well together. If anything, a squad of the kroot can go to free up some points. But the FW will likely be a feature in all of the lists, as will two squads of XV-88s. I'm by nature a more static Tau player, and I have grown to like these features over Ooodles of suits and FA. I've dabbled with Hybridy type lists, like List B for example, and thats about as far as I go really.

Still, I'll draw up List C tonight.

Thanks Raven

Just a note, the stats for List B are thus:
    W- 1 D- 2 L- 2

Not that this means everything of course, but gives me an idea where that particular list is at.

Striving for the right Ravenscraig's Avatar
    In exile on Earth - currently in Glasgow, Scotland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

Thanks mate for the reply One thing I should have pointed out though, if what I'm hearing it going to be true, thent he 3rd heat of this seasons GT will be 5th Ed. So the amount of troops will be needed... not that I've never took less than 4 troop choices anyway mind. (I luvs mah troops :3)
    Oy vay! Changing the Rules Edition halfway through a tournie seems pretty severe!
    Oh, and I like my troops too, but I just don't think I'd be taking 6 foot-slogging troops choices at 1,500pts. If I did take 6, one of the Kroot units would most probably have 5 hounds attached, and at least one of the FW squads would have a DF. It's all about flexibility really, and allowing you extra dimensions. Ironically, I've yet to find that giving FW squads 'Uis, MLs and TLs, have ever come anywhere near making their points back, although I can understand why you would want to take them to provide ML support (which is why I now run a Skyray instead)

One other thing I should say, is that my goal is to just go play... and maybe get into the final, but thats about it. I'm just going for 6 random games really. (But winning as many as possible will be nice ^_^)
    Oh, that's all I'd be aiming to do if I went to a tournie - but I might be trying alittle harder not to lose all of my games!
    The reason the 3rd squad of XV88s has shield gens over drones is that I really don't like the idea of my squad running away because the drone dies (Or even having to take a LD test for losing 25% because of the death of the drone.) That is how it works, right? I'm sure thats how it works, but I might be wrong... the two games I played on the weekend are the first in almost a year, so I've not played for a while. :/
    I've never been a fan of SGs. Sure they give you that nice 4+ invulnerable, but the chances are that anything that's going to cut through the 2+ save of your suit is going to insta-kill you anyway if you fail that invulnerable save. With the Shield Drone you're getting exactly the same save options - and if you're worried about failing tests, better to be testing for losing a drone than testing for losing a Broadside! And it'll save you 10 pts to boot ... ... ...

Just a couple of other thoughts, mon brave.

~ Raven ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

254 (x8)

Oy vay! Changing the Rules Edition halfway through a tournie seems pretty severe!
    Oh, and I like my troops too, but I just don't think I'd be taking 6 foot-slogging troops choices at 1,500pts. If I did take 6, one of the Kroot units would most probably have 5 hounds attached, and at least one of the FW squads would have a DF. It's all about flexibility really, and allowing you extra dimensions. Ironically, I've yet to find that giving FW squads 'Uis, MLs and TLs, have ever come anywhere near making their points back, although I can understand why you would want to take them to provide ML support (which is why I now run a Skyray instead)
    This years season hasn't started yet. The tickets for the heats actually go on sale a few days after the release of 5th Ed. Meaning that theres a good couple of months for people to get to learn it... which is why I think this seasons GT will be 5th.... that said, they've ran GT Heats using old Codexes before due to conflicting release dates... so who knows.

The Uis, ML's, and TL's... hmm, I think they work. TBH I think its hard to work out whether or not they make their points back. Since the Uis often are marking up targets for either other FW squads, seekers or Railgun sandwiches. For example, if an Ui marks a tank, and I blow it in one or two RG shots, he's working. Okay, I can't be sure that I would or wouldn't have blown it up without his help, but he certainly increased the success rate, at least in my opinion.

Oh, that's all I'd be aiming to do if I went to a tournie - but I might be trying alittle harder not to lose all of my games!
    Hehe, I always try to get into the final, as its a free GT ticket, and given that they are £55, thats a good thing
    But I don't like being a **** about gaming. I understand that in order to be in the top tables, you have to have the ability to be nob... or rather not a nob, but you have to know your stuff, and have backbone and stick up for your rules. A lot of gamers just let things flow I find... a few mm's out? No worries! Crack on and charge! Tis a game after all... and even in GT's you get that laid back attitude.
    The top tables for the most part are tooth and nail, as its not just about dice rolls, deployment and tactics... its about person to person interaction and intimedation. (In essence, top GW tourneys and top table games in said events (And other wargaming tourneys I would guess.) are no different from other sports.)
    That said, I know how to be a **** in this game and I think I could really push the top 20 in the GT (Or rather in past GTs with 3rd and 4th Ed) but I just... can't. I tend to reserve my darker side of gaming for people who I feel deserve it.
    My general lookout with gaming is that I want to win, but I want for everyone to have fun more... and they conflict sometimes. xD

I've never been a fan of SGs. Sure they give you that nice 4+ invulnerable, but the chances are that anything that's going to cut through the 2+ save of your suit is going to insta-kill you anyway if you fail that invulnerable save. With the Shield Drone you're getting exactly the same save options - and if you're worried about failing tests, better to be testing for losing a drone than testing for losing a Broadside! And it'll save you 10 pts to boot ... ... ...
    *nods* Aye the pros and cons between Shield Gens and Shield Drones is annoying for me... D:
    But the way I read it is, I have two SD's for my XV88s, thats a unit of 4. if those drones go, I'm then sitting on the half strength fence. One instakill on the XV88s and the other one can't ever regroup, which means its wasted. (Unless I give it bonding... or would ASS work too?)
    As for testing, overall, if I fail the test, it would be a moot point whether it was for a drone or a suit, it would have still failed.
    At least with a unit of two XV88s with SG's I would ever get -1 for being below half strength.

Eitherway, the Shield drones are something to factor into List C(Raven). I've got a bunch of games coming up when I visit Newcastle for a few days soon, so I can try out all three lists so far and get a feel for them all.
    All of them will change somewhat in 5th Ed, but not so much I think.

Thanks once again mate.

+ Reply to Thread