1750 5th Ed Green Tide - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x2)

1750 5th Ed Green Tide

Weirdboy - 85
    Weirdboy - 85

11 Lootas - 165
    11 Lootas - 165
    11 Lootas - 165

20 slugga & choppa boyz - nob, power klaw, bosspole, 2 rokkit launchas - 180pts

155 models.
    1745 points.

I've been wanting to make an ork army since they came out, but have held off thus far to see what 5th edition had in store.

The idea here is just to swamp the enemy force and there are a few things in fifth edition that have affected how I built the list.
    • IC Rules - Because ICs will no longer be immune from enemy fire I have scrapped the SAGs that I had planned on using.
    • Run - Foot slogging ftw!
    • Rear Armor - Because vehicles will always be assaulted on their rear armor I think I can get by without more anti-tank weapons.

How's it look then?

"A word to the wise is infuriating." - Hunter Thompson

Projects: Warhammer 40k: Checkmate & JohnPublic's Board

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Huddle!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnPublic View Post
    Weirdboy - 85
    Weirdboy - 85

11 Lootas - 165
    11 Lootas - 165
    11 Lootas - 165

155 models.
    1745 points.
    You'll want at least two of those units to be 30 strong, instead of 20. Whatever units you attach the weirdboyz to are going to become your opponent's main targets, and having 30 boyz in those units will help keep them on the table. For the points, I'd just cut out one of the units.

11 is an odd number for Lootas. Instead, I'd run two units of 13-15, or three units of 10. Anything inbetween doesn't really get much for the added points.

The list really needs something fast, that can preferrably deal with armor. This is so skimmers, fast vehicles, and long range enemies don't give you too much trouble. I'd either use rokkit buggies (fielded individually, with one buggy per unit), deffkoptas with rokkits, or 6 man units of warbikers with nob/powerklaw/bosspole. You could also use tankbustas in wagons, but this gets expensive.

Of course, the traditional method for dealing with distant units is 12 Kommandos w/2 burnas + Snikkrot, but that really doesn't fit with the theme of your list, so it's up to you. Personally, I like rokkit buggies, fielded individually, in all three fast attack slots.

Last but not least, you should really make at least half of the units of boyz shoota boyz instead of slugga. It can be fairly difficutl to get within close combat range while on foot, and often isn't possible until the last couple turns of the game. Having shoota boyz helps ensure you'll do damage in the first few turns as well. You might also want to consider giving one or two of the units big shootas instead of rokkits.

Good luck!
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

121 (x2)

You'll want at least two of those units to be 30 strong, instead of 20. Whatever units you attach the weirdboyz to are going to become your opponent's main targets, and having 30 boyz in those units will help keep them on the table. For the points, I'd just cut out one of the units.
    Sensible.

11 is an odd number for Lootas. Instead, I'd run two units of 13-15, or three units of 10. Anything inbetween doesn't really get much for the added points.
    Yeah, I started with three 10's and they wound up as 11's because of having 50 extra points lying about.

The list really needs something fast, that can preferrably deal with armor. This is so skimmers, fast vehicles, and long range enemies don't give you too much trouble. I'd either use rokkit buggies (fielded individually, with one buggy per unit), deffkoptas with rokkits, or 6 man units of warbikers with nob/powerklaw/bosspole. You could also use tankbustas in wagons, but this gets expensive.
    Of those I like the idea of the deffkoptas and I should be able to get them nice and cheap out of the upcoming starter set. Though I think that anything fast enough that the boyz can't catch it will be easy pickings for the lootas. The main armor concerns I have are Monoliths and Land Raiders. I really have no idea how to handle those other than to swamp them with klaws.

Last but not least, you should really make at least half of the units of boyz shoota boyz instead of slugga. It can be fairly difficutl to get within close combat range while on foot, and often isn't possible until the last couple turns of the game. Having shoota boyz helps ensure you'll do damage in the first few turns as well. You might also want to consider giving one or two of the units big shootas instead of rokkits.
    I think I shall be running during any turn in which I'm not close enough to assault so I won't have the opportunity to fire. Run + Waaagh + Weirdboys should get me into CC asap.

I'll mull it over and make the appropriate changes.

EDIT: I had two wierdboyz in the list to gain the advantage of the extra Waaaghs, but it just occurred to me that with the run rule the extra waaaghs aren't so necessary. I'm open to dropping one of them or replacing both with a named HQ such as Zogwort, what do you think?
    Last edited by JohnPublic; May 28th, 2008 at 15:47.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Sensible

Good point on running, but I still think you'd make good use out of a unit of shoota boyz or two. You'd be amazed at how much damage they can do during shooting. I've wiped out Chaos Lords that way. In some instances, shooting is more preferable to close combat, even for orks.

The deffkoptas sound good, just don't give them the ordnance bombs. They're a rip-off. Also, I wouldn't get more than one buzzsaw, and you can skip them altogether if you like. Deffkoptas aren't good in close combat no matter what you do. A single powerklaw allows you at assault vehicles, albeit only at strength 7, so it's up to you.

Warp 'eads aren't going to be as important in 5th edition, but 1 isn't bad, for the anti-armor, waugghs (still can be useful) and such. Instead of a second one, I'd consider using a big mek with a kustom force field, and have him either huddle around the lootas, or walk up with the footsloggers. In any case, he'll be invaluable the first turn of the game, when he'll probably be able to cover both.
    Last edited by mynameisgrax; May 28th, 2008 at 17:32. Reason: forgot one thing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

121 (x2)

Ok, I've made revisions. I added in the Big Mek with the KFF to help the two thirty boy squads get across the field and I upgraded the warphead to Zogwort, in hopes that he can deal with enemy HQ.

Old Zogwort - 145
    Big Mek - KFF, Power Klaw, eavy armor - 115

10 Lootas - 150
    10 Lootas - 150
    10 Lootas - 150

30 slugga & choppa boyz - nob, power klaw, bosspole, 3 rokkit launchas - 250pts

I did not add in the koptas as I really want this to remain a pure Green Tide. I will be getting a starter or two so I will have the models handy and will use them to build a separate list with more variety in it, but I really just love the idea of a pure footslogging mass of orks and want it to be my main list. I am very tempted, even with this is as it is now, to take out a squad of lootas to afford even more boyz. I am also tempted to add in a line of cover squigs. Hrm...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

Big shoota

Quote Originally Posted by JohnPublic View Post
    Ok, I've made revisions. I added in the Big Mek with the KFF to help the two thirty boy squads get across the field and I upgraded the warphead to Zogwort, in hopes that he can deal with enemy HQ.

Old Zogwort - 145
    Big Mek - KFF, Power Klaw, eavy armor - 115

10 Lootas - 150
    10 Lootas - 150
    10 Lootas - 150

I did not add in the koptas as I really want this to remain a pure Green Tide. I will be getting a starter or two so I will have the models handy and will use them to build a separate list with more variety in it, but I really just love the idea of a pure footslogging mass of orks and want it to be my main list. I am very tempted, even with this is as it is now, to take out a squad of lootas to afford even more boyz. I am also tempted to add in a line of cover squigs. Hrm...
    Looks better, although I still think you're going to be outmaneuvered in some situations. I still think you need a fast unit or two of some sort, but if you want to keep it pure green tide, then I'd at least consider changing some of the rokkits into big shootas. The extra range will help.

Also, I still think at least one or two units of shoota boyz would help, but with the new running rules, who knows? I'll have to play a bit to see for myself.

Otherwise, the list is looking good! Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

121 (x2)

Thanks for the help on it Grax. You are probably right when it comes to needing the fast units, but I'm really wanting this army to fit into the "competitively fluffy" category if there is such a thing. It will be my third army behind Wolves and Tau and more than anything I just want it to be an ultra swarm of green death.

I think in fifth edition orks have the potential to reign supreme, but that's really not my goal. As always I want to win with the fluffiest army I can put on the board.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd recommend putting the shootas Grax is pushing for in the 30 man squad that will accommodate Old Zogwort. You won't miss the would-be extra attacks (Zogwort will make up for them w/his nest of vipers + chance to act as a power weapon) and if you roll Zogwort's deep strike power you won't just be left stranded for a turn (58 shots makes even BS2 count).
    Two's to kill. Ahh, sweet sweet music.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

121 (x2)

Zogwart out, revisions made...

Big Mek - KFF, Power Klaw, eavy armor, cybork body [125]
    Big Mek - KFF, Power Klaw, eavy armor, cybork body [125]

10 Lootas [150]
    10 Lootas [150]

20 slugga & choppa boyz - 1 rokkit launcha, Nob (power klaw, bosspole) [170]

2 Deffkoptas - TL Rokkit Launcha [90]

Models: 148
    Total Points: 1750

How's it look lads?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

Better, but there are some new problems

Where are the big meks with the KFF's going to go? With 5th edition rules, your opponent can target them as normal, and even if you put them in groups of 20 orks, those two units are going to be your opponent's prime targets until they're all dead.

After taking a look at 5th edition, you might want to consider cutting the KFFs out completely. Instead, field a units of 20-30 orks lengthwise, in front of the rest of your army. If your opponent wants to shoot at anything besides that unit, your guys will be getting a 4+ cover save. You could also use grotts for the same effect.

The KFF by comparison is far more problematic, although they're still great in walker lists. A warp 'ead or old zogwort might be a good choice after all, although attach them to a full 30 ork squad, or they'll get shot to pieces really quick.

Also, each of the units of boyz need the maximum number of special weapons. So if there are 20-29 boyz, they need 2 rokkits each. Their aim is too poor for anything less.

To pay for those rokkits, consider fielding one deffkopta per squad. As it stands, if one deffkopta is killed, than the other has to make a stand alone (is that the same in 5th edition?) check every turn or run away.

The list is starting to look really good though. Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast