1500 Tau List - looking ahead to 5e - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 Tau List - looking ahead to 5e

Ok so here's my list designed for 5e by the rumors found floating around.

HQ:

Shas’el: Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Targeting Array, HW Multi-Tracker
    97 pts

Elite:

2x Fireknife: Plasma Rifles, Missile Pods, Targeting Arrays, HW Multi-Trackers
    144 pts
    2x Deathrain: Twin-linked Missile Pods, Targeting Arrays
    106 pts
    6x Stealth Suits
    180 pts

Troop:

12x Firewarriors: Shas’Ui
    130 pts
    12x Firewarriors: Shas’Ui
    130 pts
    Kroot Squad: 10x Kroot, 5x Kroot Hounds
    100 pts
    Kroot Squad: 10x Kroot, 5x Kroot Hounds
    100 pts

Fast Attack:

8x Pathfinders: Shas’Ui
    Devilfish: Disruption Pod
    191 pts

Heavy Support:

1x Broadside: Advanced Stabilisation System
    80 pts
    1x Broadside: Advanced Stabilisation System
    80 pts
    2x Sniper Team
    160 pts

1498 points

thoughts or comments?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know the rule for 5e are still rumors and often contradictory so if you don't want to say anything regarding 5e thats fine with me.

But since I also have all these models anyways. How well do you think this list will fare in the last (40?) days of 4e.

And if you care to speculate thats cool too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

Apparently, we aren't supposed to comment on lists like this, or we get shot. But, I have my shield generator working today, so it's all good (just watch the lascannons).

Don't let all this 5th edition nonsense get to your head. You have models, and are speculating on the list in 5th, that's great. The rules are unknowns, of course, so any comments on 5th should be taken with a grain of salt. As long as you remember it is simply speculation at this stage, you are good to go.

In 4th edition it seems fine. It's no where near the type of list I play, so it's a bit difficult to comment on the effectiveness of the army as a whole, so I'll go unit by unit.

HQ - it's a good Fireknife5 commander. I typically try to run two at 1500 pts in 4th edition. This might change given some of rumors of ICs being targettable. I would expect the rise of shield generators/drones/BGs to compensate for some of the new changes, but if there is cover, you should be fine.

ELITE - Your fireknife squad is illegal. You can only have hard-wired stuff on a team leader, and you can have only one team leader. So, your squad should be Crisis Team Leader w/PR/MP/TA/HWMT & Crisis w/PR/MP/MT for 139 points. In 5th, they will be tied to cover (LOS blocking, hopefully) even more so than now (with area terrain). I wonder if the usage of shield drones will rise in 5th?

Your deathrain+s are wonderful. See comments above on cover and all that.

Stealths are great, too. I think the DS and infiltration abilities will change the way these guys get used on the table more so than the way crisis do.

TROOPS - Firewarriors are fine, and if you can find the points, I would add a bonding knife. I think in 5th, the ability to score to the last man of troops will be invaluable.

The kroot are good. I don't like the hounds, but guys like riki really love them, IIRC, so try them out for yourself. The changes to infiltration should make these guys very interesting to use. BTW, your points are off, but I'm going with the wording.

FAST ATTACK - I think you should drop the pathfinders. The only vehicle you have is here, and it just won't make it for long, and neither will the pathfinders. I only use them in games 1800pts+. Use the points elsewhere for more troops, sheild drones, etc.

HEAVY SUPPORT - I love my BASS, and I think they work really well for what you need them to do. I sometimes would try to get a shield drone floating onto one of these guys (there are of course, problems with that), but in cover, they should do fine.

Sniper drones aren't my cup of tea at all, and I think I might go for another BASS, just because, but if they work for you.

Just my two cents.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Listen up you primitive screwheads ... see this ... this is my BOOM-stick!" - Ash

"I told you, it's not Pink! It's Light Red!" Donut on his new power-armor.

Striving for the right Ravenscraig's Avatar
    In exile on Earth - currently in Glasgow, Scotland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Y'he Sha'is View Post
    Apparently, we aren't supposed to comment on lists like this, or we get shot. But, I have my shield generator working today, so it's all good (just watch the lascannons).
    Good to hear your thoughts again, Brother Y'he Sha'is. Have you been away recently or have I just not been paying sufficient attention? Anyway, your shield generator may indeed be working today, but so is your flamer! Please take adequate care to ensure you don't press the wrong button again - we all know how indiscriminate flamers can be ... ... ...

That is all.

~ Raven
    ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

84 (x2)

I am sorry that someone considered that a flame. It was in no way intended to instigate anything, and I'm sorry if it did so.

It was simply a joke (while it wasn't intended, perhaps it could be seen to be a joke at Riki's expense, but then it would be at my expense as well) to get other people to hopefully read this list and help a new-comer to the forums out: to get people talking about 5th edition lists when the OP wanted to have some advice on his list in regards to 5th.

Again, I apologize. Hopefully someone more qualified can talk about his list, and not about some perceived flame.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Listen up you primitive screwheads ... see this ... this is my BOOM-stick!" - Ash

Striving for the right Ravenscraig's Avatar
    In exile on Earth - currently in Glasgow, Scotland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by S0L4C3 View Post
    Ok so here's my list designed for 5e by the rumors found floating around.
    <SNIP>
    thoughts or comments?
    Y'he Sha'is' comments on your list are all good and valid. I would certainly agree that the Pathfinders are no more than a nice, as opposed to need, to have and you could comfortably do without them, even though their PF will no longer be a dedicated transport under 5th Ed. Instead I would suggest you consider running a couple of Piranha with fusion blasters. Even if their movement is reduced to 18" as is rumoured, they are invaluable for capturing objectives, etc. in the latter part of the game.

~ Raven ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advise ill look into the points when i get home. In regards to the suits; I think I had them originally as bodygaurd in which they were allowed that slot but forgot to remove.

Anyways I'll play around with things any hopefully post another list tonight.

One more thing:
    Quote Originally Posted by ~ Ravenscraig ~ View Post
    Instead I would suggest you consider running a couple of Piranha with fusion blasters. Even if their movement is reduced to 18" as is rumoured, they are invaluable for capturing objectives, etc. in the latter part of the game.

~ Raven ~
    Aren't there rumors going around that only infantry will be able to hold table quarters? or am i just making that up?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

84 (x2)

Well, the rumors are a bit contradictory.

The latest I've heard is that troops can score (not-swarms), but non-troops can contest objectives (but not score themselves).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am surely not as pro as Y'he Sha'is, but here's my opinion for what it counts.

HQ-
    Good commander

Elite
    If you're going to have a specialized missile pod squad, you could change the fireknife squad into a burning eye configuration (Twin-linked plasmas) but that's totally up to you.
    The Stealthsuits are nice as long as you keep them at that size.

Troop
    The Firewarriors are kosher.
    I'm not too sure how useful the kroot will be in 5th ed, but they'll be pretty nice in forests since they'll be able to duck for cover (+1 cover save) & have the +1 cover save for being kroot in forests/jungles and then the 4+ save from the forests gives your average kroot a 2+ cover save!

Fast Attack
    I personally love markerlights since you can keep them by your firewarriors, mark up a target squad, and then give your firewarriors a better BS when unloading on target squad w/ pulse rifles at 30". You maybe could slim down the pathfinder squad for some points to spend elsewhere (maybe a hammerhead hoho)
    The devilfish shouldnt be too bad as long as you keep it moving fast (as long as you give it a multitracker and decoy launchers!)
    Come 5th edition, the devilfish you purchase for the pathfinders will be able to run around and pick up other troops (especially the kroot) and dump them at an objective or forest.

Heavy Support
    The BASS are awesome and the Sniper team could be useful against a leadership weak army (even better with markerlights since they'll suck the Leadership away!) but I myself would prefer a hammerhead w/ decoys + multitracker so that it can submunition dense enemy infantry or solid shot enemy tanks/characters/commanders.

So that's all my opinion, no need to use my suggestions if you don't want to.
    Even though you've already tested out your list, good luck on future battles!
    Last edited by Jngu; May 30th, 2008 at 23:00. Reason: Woops, spelling.
    "Your tongues can't repel flavor of that magnitude!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, so heres my problem, the following is the list I normally run for 2000 (usually quite successfully) but I've never really been able to field an effective 1500 point list. I think I try and squeeze too many things in and lose important parts of my list.

Anyways besides whats in the list below I also have the following:

5 kroot hounds
    1 railhead
    1 ionhead
    1 railhead / skyray (removable turrets)
    ethereal

however in the few games I have played at 2k I find that broadsides (generally) are a much more solid unit then the hammerheads (and I'm sure that I could be proven wrong)
    The ethereal has never really been that effective either, but I've always wanted to try the skyray in the following list. Just haven't had the chance yet.

Putting the Skyray in would bring my markerlights up to 13. Not to shabby.

Anywho so this is a rather long post but what do you think of the following list? How would you suggest I drop it to 1500?

Maybe not at 1500 but how about how to squeeze in the Skyray into 2000?

general comments or reasons i shouldn't be so closed to our tanks would be welcome

HQ:

97 pts
    97 pts

Elite:

3x Crisis: Plasma Rifles, Missile Pods, Multi-Trackers
    186 pts
    3x Crisis: Twin-linked Missile Pods, Targeting Arrays
    159 pts
    6x Stealth Suits
    180 pts