beginner 1500-ish Point army PLEASE GIVE ADVICE :) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

beginner 1500-ish Point army PLEASE GIVE ADVICE :)

Ok everyone, here is my first post, which is about my eldar army. I have only been playing for 2 months, so don't be harsh on me.

I've mainly played against only tyranids so far, and have done well.

Here is my setup-

HQ-
    -Prince Yriel
    -Farseer w/ all wargear options aside from jetbike (I mainly use Mind War and Doom psychic powers)

-**3 Warlocks w/ singing spears and spirit stones**

Troops-
    -11 guardians w/ heavy support platform equipped with (starcannon and scatter-laser)
    -5 Dire avengers inc. Exarch w/ 2 shruiken catapults (grouped w/ Yriel)
    -5 Rangers (all pathfinders)

Elites-
    -4 Wraitguards

-**Wave serpent w/ 2L starcannon and 2L shruiken catapult**

Heavy-
    -Support weapon battery ( as listed above )
    -5 Dark Reapers inc. Exarch (fast shot)
    -1 Wraithlord w/ Scatter laser and bright lance
    -1 War Walker w/ Scatter laser and starcannon

Think thats it...

ALL HELP APPRECIATED

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Yrielftw View Post
    Ok everyone, here is my first post, which is about my eldar army. I have only been playing for 2 months, so don't be harsh on me.

I've mainly played against only tyranids so far, and have done well.
    Fair enough, with that in mind...

Here is my setup-

HQ-
    -Prince Yriel
    -Farseer w/ all wargear options aside from jetbike (I mainly use Mind War and Doom psychic powers)

-**3 Warlocks w/ singing spears and spirit stones**
    Too many points in HQ in too few a points limit. Drop Yriel, he's not doing an immense amount of good in your list that can't be accomplished with other units. Pick two powers on the farseer, and drop the runes, all the extra stuff is useless gear that's almost never used.

Troops-
    -11 guardians w/ heavy support platform equipped with (starcannon and scatter-laser)
    -5 Dire avengers inc. Exarch w/ 2 shruiken catapults (grouped w/ Yriel)
    -5 Rangers (all pathfinders)
    Guardians can only have a single support platform, drop the starcannon. Bulk up the dire avengers squad. I'd love to tell you to drop the pathfinders as well, but if they work for you feel free to keep them.

Elites-
    -4 Wraitguards

-**Wave serpent w/ 2L starcannon and 2L shruiken catapult**
    Nope, drop them too. Either that or add another wraitguard and a spiritseer.

Heavy-
    -Support weapon battery ( as listed above )
    -5 Dark Reapers inc. Exarch (fast shot)
    -1 Wraithlord w/ Scatter laser and bright lance
    -1 War Walker w/ Scatter laser and starcannon
    Only three heavy support choices are allowed. Since you don't actually have a heavy weapons squad, I'm going to treat that as if it didn't exist. The dark reapers would benefit from the addition of a special weapon on the exarch, the wriathlord would be better off with a Missile launcher instead of a scatter laser, and never mix weapons on a war walker. Dual scatter lasers all the way.

Think thats it...

ALL HELP APPRECIATED
    Welcome to the forums. Hope that wasn't too crushing. I'm not generally known for my subtlety.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, didn't mean to make that mistake in the heavy support area.

-I have 10 dark reapers, should i use 2 squads of them as heavy support choices? leaving only one spot for war walker or wraithlord?

I'm unsure about that.

Secondly, i like my wraithguards

thanks
    Last edited by Yrielftw; June 8th, 2008 at 03:06.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

One squad is fine, two would be overkill.
    Like I said, if you want to keep your wraithguard, add in a 5th and add in a spiritseer.
    I'd like to see a newish list before making any more comments, as it helps me focus them a little better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, i will work that out.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

swap ur farseer for eldrad ulthran

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5 Dark Reapers seem more potent that one war walker, and i know its more pts... but still

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do remember that a lot of what you're basing your list on is about to be shot to hell. 5th ed. is on it's way and line of sight is going to start playing a huge part in how you move charge etc. Charges are different too, and gun lines no longer can be rolled by khorne berserkers one massacre after another.

All the same, I think you'd serve yourself well to take a regular autarch instead of Yriel. For your farseer consider taking other powers like guide or fortune. Rerolling on the shooting phase for a shooting army is worth the points imo.

I'd also tell you to keep the starcannon not the scatter laser. If you go up against anything that has a tank you don't have enough heavy hitters to bring it down. You have the brightlance on the wraithlord and that's about it.

Make sure to give the dire avengers blade storm. If you are going to get charged you aren't going to care if you can shoot again next round. So double up on your shots and mow as many down as you can while you can. And on the topic of exarch powers give the reapers crack shot. Ignoring cover saves in 5th ed. is invaluable.

I personally like wraithguard. I tend to get my points worth out of them every game. Of course they need to have a psycher nearby. I'd get rid of the big clump of warlocks and take one with this unit, and run the farseer behind your guardians within 6" of the wraithlord.

Pathfinders are also a favorite of mine. I like the chance at AP1 shots. Also, in 5th ed. all rolls of a 6 count as rending. You can also end up pinning a unit. Pathfinders are great for taking down a carnifex imo.

Of course all of this is only a suggestion. You know a lot of what you're going up against and will be able to learn and tweak accordingly. Good luck in your next games.

+ Reply to Thread