'Friendly' 1000 point list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

'Friendly' 1000 point list

Alright, I've started playing with a very 'friendly' group of people, which is a far cry from the ludicrously competitive environments I'm more used to. There's a smaller 1000 point tournament coming up soon, and I have a few different ideas.

I want to run a good list, but I also don't want them to break down, cry, and declare me the anti-christ. Many of them are newer players, and although I definitely want to have fun and win, I don't want to make them cry...and my current 1000 point list is designed to make people cry.

LIST 1 (Current List)

HQ

Warboss on bike w/powerklaw, cybork (130)

Big mek w/SAG, cybork (105)

TROOP

Deff Dread w/2 big shootas, grot riggers (90)

7 Nob bikers w/2 powerklaws, painboy, cybork, wauggh banner, bosspole (450)

FAST

Rokkit buggy (35)

Rokkit buggy (35)

Rokkit buggy (35)

HEAVY

Killa kan w/big shoota (40)

Killa kan w/big shoota (40)

Killa Kan w/big shoota (40)

LIST 2 (Trukks, Buggies and Snikkrot)

HQ

Warboss w/powerklaw, cybork (95)

ELITE

12 Kommandos w/ 2 burnas and Snikkrot (13 models total) (235)

TROOP

12 Shoota boyz w/nob, powerklaw, bosspole, trukk (147)

12 Shoota boyz w/nob, powerklaw, bosspole, trukk w/ram (152)

11 Slugga boyz w/nob, powerklaw, bosspole, trukk w/ram (146)

12 Slugga boyz w/nob, powerklaw, bosspole, trukk w/ram (152)

FAST

Rokkit Buggy (35)

Rokkit Buggy (35)

LIST 3 (Highly Experimental Gunline)

HQ

Big Mek w/ Kustom Force Field (85)

Warboss in mega armor, w/ cybork, bosspole, attack squig (130)

ELITE

13 Lootas w/ 3 upgraded to meks w/ big shootas (195)

TROOP

Deff Dread w/ 2 big shootas (85)

4 Mega Nobz in trukk w/ ram (200)

FAST

Rokkit Buggy (35)

Rokkit Buggy (35)

HEAVY

2 Killa Kans w/ big shootas (80)

2 Killa Kans w/ big shootas (80)

3 Big guns w/ lobbas (75)

Which list should I use? I'm trying to balance both 'success' and 'fun'.

Last edited by mynameisgrax; June 13th, 2008 at 19:44. Reason: Made a mistake
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x3)

As for "fun" its all in the eyes of the beholder, i can see people whining about all 3 lists if they were inclined to. I think your best bet would be list #2, trukk boy squad enmasse can be devastating in smaller point games.

Joe Peshi (lone wolf) kill tally:Lash Sorcerer, Ghazkull, Yriel, Termi Libby, Vulkan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That first list makes me laugh Grax - It's about the least friendly thing I can imagine for any army at 1k points. Either of the others will earn you less hate in a low key group. I for one would be tempted to make the pie-plates-of-doom list for a laid back group (2xSAG 2xBoomgun, 3x Grotzooka-Kans or something ridiculous like that.)
    Two's to kill. Ahh, sweet sweet music.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well list one is quite mean ( I play a similar list at 1000 points w/ the biker Nobs, dread, koptas and bw ( very nasty ) and I also started switching out to a more friendly list as I want to play more balanced and relaxed lists against gamers who do not play evil lists at 1000 points.

So ...
    List number two

Well that is still a very powerful KoS list at 1000 points. Lets see;

- 5 PKS
    - A monster of an HQ in a trukk can ramshackle into your opponents lines
    - Snikrot who is possibly the best special character in nthe codex ( in 4th edition anyway - in 5th a PK nob might even be better for Kommandos ).
    - Sixty models including six vehicles - those buggies will make nice scrfeens for your trukks

Not a list like number one but you know in some ways it could even be better as it has more models. It is puire cc though but a list that fast will do damage. It is the old codex KoS list that was our most successful list before the new codex came out and now even better with Snikrot.

List 3

Well a nice modified dreadbash hybrid list with some MANz. Come 5th edition with cover saves and Walker rules this list will be nasty! Add in running MaNZ and LOOK OUT. Right now it probably the list to go with in friendlies but it will not remain friendly for long, lol. I experimented with a Manz in a BW deffrolla list at 1000 points and it was unstopppable at that points level and I'm currently puttiong my Manz in a trukk with similar results - of course I do run some biker nobs with them, lol, so its doubly evil. You even have Lobbas - very underated ( you know that I have a battery that I use quite often). Those lobbas and lootas will definately make this list even stronger. This is a great 1000 point shooty list with a rock hard cc squad that can surgically strike. Friendly? Maybe by your standards.

Max -

Here is the problem. You are too good a player to design a truly friendly list. Honestly, i would play any of the three lists without a problem ( and I have variants of all three that I use ). I guess if I was choosing I weould run list two in friendlies although all three lists are still highly competitive. I guess that was not what you wanted to hear?

best

Paul

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Thanks

Thanks for the advice, although I'm pretty sure I won't play the first list, it's just too sadistic.

The second and third lists both seem good, although right now I'm leaning towards either the third list, or the one inspired by Courtsloth (pie plates).

Friendliness aside, the fact it's a more casual tournament might make it a good time to try out and experiment with new types of lists.

After all the suggestions, I think the second list is the most balanced, but I've played it a lot in competitions, so it might be interesting to play more of a shooty gunline instead.

I'm still not sure yet. Honestly, I don't usually play much at the 1000 point level. At most of the places I play, it pretty much starts at 1500.

I'll have to think it over for a bit. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big Mek 95
    -SAG

Big Mek 95
    -SAG

3 Mega Nobz 160
    -1x Kombi Skorcha Trukk

Deff Dread 85
    -2x Big Shoota

Deff Dread 85
    -2x Big Shoota

3x Rokkit Buggies 105

Looted Wagon 105
    -Boomgun

3 Killa Kans 135
    -3x Grotzooka

3 Killa Kans 135
    -3x Grotzooka

Assuming 5th ed. where walkers can run and templates don't roll to hit or roll for partials - I think this would be a very funny list.
    Two's to kill. Ahh, sweet sweet music.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like your list Courtsloth although I would fit a KFF mek in there for one of the SaGs add heavy armour and a ram on the trukk. Come 5th though it will not be so much fun to play against with the new template rules for Grotzookas and the running and cover savwes for the dreads and kans! In fact it could be a bit evil. That said I would love to play it. I just don't have the six grotzooka kans.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

True

With the walkers able to run, all partials hitting, and 'missed' blast shots scattering in 5th edition, the grotzookas are looking like a very nice choice for the killa kans. In 4th edition, their 18in range limited their effectiveness, but with the new rules, they now seem quite effective.

I agree with Bebe, your list needs a KFF, Courtsloth. In fact, every time I've ever seen a list with two SAGs, my first reaction is to suggest either removing one, or changing it into a KFF. Lists generally benefit more from variety than repetition. One KFF and one SAG will do a lot more for you than two of either.

On a side note, when 5th edition comes out, where would you attach those big meks? Standing alone isn't nearly as safe as it used to be. Against the right army (Marine, IG, Tau) they probably won't even survive past turn 1.

One idea I had was fielding 10-12 shoota boyz in a trukk (no upgrades), starting them outside the trukk, attaching the big mek to the boyz, and then moving either a unit of tankbustas or burnas into the empty trukk. The burnas/tankbustas get a nice transport and the big mek gets a retinue. ^_^

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

Sag!

I'm just shamelessly posting to mention I won the tournament.

I used a modified version of the walker list:

HQ

Big mek w/KFF [85]

TROOP

Deff Dread w/2 big shootas and grot riggers [90]

20 Shoota boyz w/2 big shootas, nob, powerklaw, bosspole [170]

ELITE

10 Lootas [150]

12 Kommandos w/2 burnas and Snikkrot (13 models total) [235]

FAST

Rokkit buggy [35]

Rokkit buggy [35]

Rokkit buggy [35]

HEAVY

Killa Kan w/KMB [55]

Killa Kan w/KMB [55]

Killa Kan w/KMB [55]

The deff dread performed much better than expected, and actually survived all 3 games of the tournament. His main job was absorbing enemy fire.

After these games, all my killa kans are using kustom mega blastas from now on. The AP 2 was invaluable against monstrous creatures, terminators, and Tau broadsides. Given the lack of AP 2 guns in the ork army, the kustom mega blastas are worth the extra cost on killa kans.

The lootas have more or less proven themselves to be the best unit in the ork army. They're versatile, anti-infantry, anti-armor (all but 14, but they will tear apart anything else), high strength, come in large groups, and cost less than both flash gitz and similar units in other armies. In competitive play, they're a must have.

Snikkrot proved great for tying up long range enemy troops, although they aren't as destructive as a kommando unit with a powerklaw, and they aren't really any harder to kill than a unit of regular boyz. The main benefit was the fact I could bring them in from any spot along any edge of the board. One marine opponent clumped three units relatively close together (independent HQ not yet attached, scouts, and a heavy weapons squad) and I assaulted all 3 in one turn. It took the rest of the game for my boyz to finish them off (and they lost a great deal in turn), but it tied them up for most of the game.

I'm especially excited because this is the first 40k tournament I've ever won. Thanks for the help everyone!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grats on the win!
    "Orks have to be followers of Nurgle! They're green, smell bad, and just want to spread the fun!"

+ Reply to Thread