1850 5th Edition Competitive Tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

1850 5th Edition Competitive Tau

Here's what I'm thinking of doing for my Tau in 5th Edition:

HQ:

Shas'El
    -Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod.
    -Targetting Array, Stimulant Injectors, Hard-Wired Multi Tracker
    -Drone Controller with 2 shield drones
    -2 Bodyguard w/ Plasma Rifle, Missile pod, Targetting array, Hard-wired Multi Tracker

Shas'El
    -Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod. (He will join the unit above)
    -Targetting Array, Hard-wired Multi-Tracker

ELITES:

Stealth suits x 3

Stealth suits x 3

TROOPS:

Fire Warriors x 12
    -Devilfish with Smart Missile System, Targetting Array, Multi-Tracker, Decoy Launchers
    (I may change all the Decoy Launchers depending on what happens to them in the FAQ)

Fire Warriors x 12
    -Devilfish with Smart Missile System, Targetting Array, Multi-Tracker, Decoy Launchers

Fire Warriors x 12

Kroot Carnivore Squad x 11
    -Kroot Hounds x 4

Kroot Carnivore Squad x 11
    -Kroot Hounds x 4

HEAVY SUPPORT:

Hammerhead Gunship
    -Railgun, Smart Missile System
    -Multi-Tracker, Decoy Launchers (Again, I might switch out the Decoys depending on the FAQ)

Hammerhead Gunship
    -Railgun, Smart Missile System
    -Multi-Tracker, Decoy Launchers

Total = 1850 on the dot

Ok, before you start dissing my list, hear me out:

1) The Bodyguard unit is a decent size, has good Fire Power, and the shield drones offer some extra protection where JSJ can't. By adding the other Shas'El to the unit, they have US6 and a decent number of wounds to go along with that.

2) I know that people are going to say that I'm wasting points on all the Smart Missiles and Multi-Trackers since now I can't move and fire at the same time. The Smart Missiles are on there as a primary weapon on the Devilfishes, and are a backup weapon on the hammerheads. The multi-Trackers may end up being dropped, but I still feel like having SMS is valuable.

3) The next criticism that I expect to hear is about the Stealth Suits being too small of a unit size. With the new infiltrate special rules, I'm just hoping to have them enter onto the table and obliterate a Devistator squad or something else that's annoying. I was also thinking that maybe giving one of them a Fusion Blaster would make them a good anti-tank unit... any thoughts on that?

4) Now to the biggest criticism I think that I'll face: The Kroot. I have always loved Kroot, and would have started playing Kroot Mercs instead of Tau had I had the confidence that GW would continue updating and supporting the Mercs (which I highly doubt now). All I can say is that having a squad that size infiltrate and get into a jungle (thus giving them like a 3+ save) and being a decent pill box is nothing to scoff at. Not to mention that they are assault monsters! Also, since they're a basic troop choice they can hold objectives, Table Quarters, etc, so they have many more uses now. Yes, they are fragile, but the new infiltrate rules should give them somewhat of an edge.

Let me know what you all think.

Currently Playing:
    Fantasy: Daemons (Angels), 40k: Black Templars

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My criticism was going to be the smart missiles on the hammerheads, but with the different way cover will be used now they're probably pretty awesome.

I would probably structure my HQ and elites a little differently, like making the bodyguards their own squad and just having the HQ suits move near the infantry, but however you want to do it is fine. Looks like a cherry list as is =D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Sparr, thats a pretty well put together list. I'm just gonna make some minor suggestions.

1) you said you want to use the stealth to infiltrate and remove a dev squad? well heres the problem with that, 3 suits aren't likely to kill more than 1 or 2 marines a turn, sure its enough to cause a leadership test but marine hunting with 3 would be alot less effective than with a unit of 6.

2) I would move the bodygaurds down to elite. and keep the commanders seperate. This is mainly because of the new wound alocation rules and that if your commander is behind a unit of FW, he gets 4+ save.

3) markerlights are gonna be a great asset in 5e since alot of things will be getting cover, might try and squeeze some in,

hope that helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah i would agree with everything both S0L and Ausare said, just wondering what exactly is the point of putting the SMS on the hammerhead? if your moving you wont be able to use it because defensive weapons will be St 4... so if you drop both of those and move the body guards to elites, you got around 50 points to work with... although Im not sure what you could do with that, perhaps you could find some points to make a deathrain? I dont know if thats what works for you then go for it! it just seems like a waste of points to me. anyway, good luck with it dude!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Thanks for the feedback!

Regarding the SMS; It seems much more likely that Hammerheads are going to get weapon destroyed rolls, so if all you have is the railgun, your Hammerheads have a good chance of being somewhat useless. Maybe a smarter move would be to go for the Burst Cannons so that I could save a few more points.

Also, with the railheads & warfish firing like fast vehicles, will they still only be able to fire 1 main and 1 defensive weapon?

Markerlights would be very nice. Maybe I should be sticking them on one or both of the stealth teams.

I like the stealth teams to leave a small footprint. Will they kill off the devestator squad on the turn they come in? Probably not. They are definitely a good distraction though and it will force the opponent to have something take care of them, thus wasting that unit's turn to go after something more important.

I'll test out the stealth teams a few times, and I might end up combining the group.

I'm glad that nobody had beef with the Kroot!
    Currently Playing:
    Fantasy: Daemons (Angels), 40k: Black Templars

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in the new edition you will be able to move and shoot 1 main and defensive, however the defensive wepons have now been clasified as St 4 or below, so no SMS and railgun unfortunately... I would just go for the burst cannons and leave the SMS to the warfishies, however, if you cant do anything with the 20 points leave them on, they may serve useful if you get into a mess of trouble

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

actually vehicles classed as fast can use combat speed movements and fire all weapons. Only one (and all defensive) if moving at cruising speeds. The tau being able to make all their vehicles move and fire as fast vehicles.
    My upcoming blog in the works:
    http://plasticrackminis.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but then wont that negate all of our neat speeder rules like only being able to glance and stuff?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was referring to the special cover and line-of-sight related rules that the SMS has, that I can't remember offhand. Basically if your enemy is hiding behind a wall of his own units, the SMS can fly the missiles over his guys...or something like that.

but then wont that negate all of our neat speeder rules like only being able to glance and stuff?
    Those speeder rules are being modified or done away with in 5th ed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would get the fusion blasters for the stealth teams. they have a better chance of getting close to tanks sometimes then crisis suits or pirahnas. plus just for laughs u could do like me and give them shield generators if u expand this list. my SS last so long everyone at my store hates them. x)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast