1850pts. Sweeping Flank - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1850pts. Sweeping Flank

This is a re-post of the updated list in the 'Mini Nobz' thread. I've gotten to play one game with it so far (which I will recount below).

Warboss 150pts.
    -Bike
    -Cybork
    -PKlaw
    -ASquig

Old Zogwort 145pts.

8 Nobz 500pts.
    -2 PKlaws
    -Bikes
    -Painboy
    -Cybork
    -Waaagh! Banner
    -Bosspole

15 Kommandoes 255pts.
    -2x Rokkits
    -Boss Snikrot

3x 12 Boys 147each/441total
    -Nob
    -PKlaw
    -Bosspole
    -Trukk

30 Boyz 250pts
    -Nob
    -PKlaw
    -Bosspole
    -3x Rokkits

3x Rokkit Buggies 35each/105total

This list's maiden voyage was against my friends new Space Wolf army. He and I are both playing new armies that are the exact opposites of those we learned the game with (Tau for me and Bugz for him). He played, as well as I can remember:

- 1 Venerable Dreadnought (A. Cannon/M. Launcher)
    - 2x 6 Grey Hunters (each w/Melta Gun and Razorback w/H. Bolter)
    - 4 Scouts (P. Weapon, Melta Gun)
    - 8-9 Bikers... I have no idea how these guys were composed, except to say they were nasty - there were thunder hammers, storm shields, wolves accompanying a HQ choice, some (all?) wolf guard... it was nuts
    - 9 Wolf Guard Terminators (3x A. Cannons, A wolf priest acting as apothecary, more wolves... another nightmare unit).
    - 1 Leman Russ (TL Auto Cannon, 3x H. Bolters)

It was a close match. Turn one he ripped me up with the incredible fire power of his big guns and I staggered foreword as best I could (SW: 1 Trukk + accompanying boyz, 1 Buggy, 12 Shoota Boyz, 1 Nob -- Orks: Zogwort's head exploded causing him to take a wound and killing a couple more shoota boyz... zero casualties inflicted on the enemy). Turn two - three he continued to punish me w/shooting, but he got cockey and over extended himself - Orks finally made it into combat and begun to dig in for the real fight (SW: 11 more Shoota Boyz, 1 Trukk, 6 Slugga Boyz, 1 1/2 Nobz 1 Buggy -- Orks: both squads of Grey Hunters, 3 scouts, all the biker's wolves, 2 bikers, the HQ w/the bikers squigified!). Turns four and five, the tide turned (green, that is). The Dreadie died in melee to a Boyz squad, the kommandoes arrived and did in the leman russ, nobz shot up the razorbacks to create a wall of cover, the remaining bikers and scout died under the power klaws of the now quite ragged shoota boyz and remaining slugga boyz. Turn 6 I hid behind the newly made wall of cover, denying the termies LoS and assault opportunity (I must be playing a Blood Axe Warboss =P). In the end, I was up 150-200 points plus an extra 500 for the mission objective (hold the center of the table), but we were both pretty ragged - I hate to think how that match will go once my buddy learns a little about target priority >.<. My only real complaints with the list are as such:

1.) The rokkit buggies did nothing all game. This is more a frustration than a gripe - I hit often enough, but couldn't dent armor 10-11 to save my life.

2.) Old Zogwort did not feel worth his points. He squigified the one biker HQ, and that was awsome, butr I've since considered swapping him for Mad Doc Grotsnik in order to give the footslogging boyz FnP.

Two's to kill. Ahh, sweet sweet music.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was surprised to see your list as I am working on a very similar set-up! My question is how effective were those 8 Nob bikers? Do you think that is too many points in that unit?

The reason I am asking is because I have the sprues for 9 bikes and one of them is definitely going to be a Warboss! =) However with the others I've been wanting to make a super-killy Nob biker squad but keep second guessing myself so i just keep pumping out boyz and trukks for the time being. So for a Focused Assault/Sweeping Flank list should I use the 8 bikers for a tooled up Nob squad or 1 Nob squad 1 regular biker squad? I've been leaning towards the Nob bikers...your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Nobz were definitely boss, but I think to really justify their cost you need to use a little finesse when playing them. There is a fine line between making good use of their stats and abilities (using them to soak tons of fire, loosing a couple in the process, and then making their points back and then some when they hit the enemy lines like a freight train) and being too reckless with them. The Nobz are very expensive and they are far from invincible - a canny opponent knows to apply S8 shooting and anything 'power' or rending against them in CC. The trick is getting them where they can take the edge off the rest of your army by soaking fire and getting them into combat with units they can destroy w/out too much fear of retaliation or get ganged up on(a PW or Pfist fine - enmasse rending or lightning claws not cool),. When they win, they win big - when they die, it's a lot of points suddenly missing from your list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the tips...I think I'm sold! Regular warbikers just dont seem to have enough staying power in my opinion. Think my Biker Boss would be happier with proppa ladz riding next to him anyhow!
    Checked out your painting thread by the way...nice job bro!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regular Warbikers aren't useless, they actually make very good tank hunters, but they're nothing like the battering ram of a unit the Nob Bikers can be. (and thanks for stopping by the painting log ^_^)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Not sure about bikes

Regular bikes never seem to earn back their points, in my experience. They're just too easy to kill through gunfire. I've heard that regular warbikes are good at tankhunting, but a team of 6 with a nob, powerklaw and bosspole is 190 points, and anything less than 6 doesn't seem like it will last long. Even a minimum of 3 with a nob and powerklaw costs 110 points. I just don't think they're worth their points, not when orks have other equally good options like rokkit buggies and deffkoptas.

The list looks great, and I'd only suggest changing two things:

1. Swap out the rokkits in the kommando team for burnas. The powerweapon attacks in close combat are fantastic, and something that Snikkrot otherwise lacks.

2. Cut out zogwort, and field 10 lootas instead. If not lootas, then some sort of 'shooty' option that has 36in range or better (deffkoptas, killa kans, SAG, boomgun, or big guns). That's the only thing really missing from the list.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've experimented back and forth w/Rokkits vs. Burnas on the Kommandoes and I'm not really sold yet on either one - both can be nice in the right situation, but neither is sure-fire (I might just give big shootas a shot while I'm at it - they can hurt troops and the back armor of tanks and I think generalizing may help keep the kommandoes from being that 'invaluable or useless' unit depending on circumstances).

And as for the lootas - I love lootas. Lootas are tied w/Bikers for my favorite of our new models and easily win my vote for coolest unit (stat + fluff wise), but I hesitate to put them in a list until I have learned how to play the rest of the Orks. Coming from 5+ years w/Tau, I know how to play shooting and target priority but I'm rubbish at manipulating the finer points of melee. Once I earn that experience I think lootas will finally 'click' for me and earn a place in my lists. For the moment, in reference to Old Zogwort, I think I'm going to go with my previous impulse of trying out Mad Doc Grotsnik in order to give the footsloggers more Pklaw attacks and FnP.

Edit: About the Warbikers - one trick I do like with them is using their guns on armor 10-11. Given the volume of TL S5 shots a unit can put out it's easy to score a handful of glances which either strip a vehicle of its weapons/mobility or 'destroy' the vehicle while leaving the model on the board as terrain. Now you have a nice little LoS blocking wall that many Ork lists can speed around (trukks, bikes, stormboyz, etc.) to get the drop on your opponent or you can duck behind to avoid shooting. If the dakkagunz don't do the job, then I follow up w/the PK assault. Besides, who could resist wanting to play those awesome new models?
    Last edited by Courtsloth; June 20th, 2008 at 21:44.

+ Reply to Thread