2000pt Tyranid List for Critique - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

2000pt Tyranid List for Critique

This is a list I can actually field, it is supposed to lay down a torrent of fire while the genestealers do their thing, I want it to be as dangerous as possible, and obviously I've overloaded on the Genestealers but thats on purpose =)

Let me know what you think!

HQ
    Hive Tyrant 197
    Enhanced Senses, Toxin Sacs, Barbed Strangler, Venom Canon

Elite
    Warrior(4x) 150
    Enhanced Senses, Toxin Sacs, Venom Canon, Death Spitter (x3), Rending Claws(x4)

Warrior(4x) 150

Dakka Fex 113
    Enhanced Senses, (2x)Twin Linked Devourer

Troops
    Genestealer (8x) 160
    Scuttlers, Feeder Tendrils

Genestealer (8x) 160

Genestealer (8x) 160

Genestealer (8x) 160

Genestealer (8x) 160

Genestealer (8x) 160

Heavy
    Dakka Fex 113

Sniper Fex 148
    Enhanced Senses, Barbed Strangler, Venom Canon

Sniper Fex 148

61 models

1979pts with 21 pts to spread out over my MCs

Last edited by kr0w17; June 27th, 2008 at 22:35.
    "Boonm you not rrrh rot
    dot n dot n dot per rot
    dot n not n dot per
    n dot chi cot n dot rrr ah"

-Jonathan Davis "Twist", Why did I ever listen to this guy?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep in mind that my review, unless otherwise noted, will generaly be from a 5th edition perspective.

HQ
    Hive Tyrant 197
    Enhanced Senses, Toxin Sacs, Barbed Strangler, Venom Canon

Hive Tyrants arent quite as effective as Carnifexes with this combonation. They have less strength and they cost more points. I find Twin Linked Devourers much more effective on Tyrants. 12 Shots that reroll to hit and reroll to wound is brutal. If you really must keep that weapon combo on this guy though, its a fine setup.

Elite
    Warrior(4x) 150

Im not a big fan of mixing Ranged an CC weapons on Warriors. Its not a bad thing, It's just personal preferance. Scything talons are probably more effective than rending claws on these guys, they don't have enough attacks for you to rely on rending (Unless you're reeaally lucky).

Im not sure what you're going for with these guys, give me a basic idea of what their role is so i can give better advice on them.

Warrior(4x) 150

See above.

Dakka Fex 113

Not quite as powerful as a Dakka Tyrant, but for the points this thing is a beast. Good setup.

Troops
    Genestealer (8x) 160

Very good. The lack of EC will hurt them but i think you have enough of them to make up for that. If what i've heard about Scuttlers allowing you to flank in 5th is true, these guys are going to be brutal.

Genestealer (8x) 160

See above.

Genestealer (8x) 160

See above.

Genestealer (8x) 160

See above.

Genestealer (8x) 160

See above.

Genestealer (8x) 160

See above.

Heavy
    Dakka Fex 113

See above.

Sniper Fex 148

A little overused but very effective.

Sniper Fex 148

See above
    Not a bad list at all. Give me an idea of what you want those warriors doing so i can better advise on them. I don't see too many flaws with the list, but the amount of Stealers makes it seem a little... Bland. Its your list though, so have at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MindWar View Post
    Frankly, I think you're insane!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Hey, thanks for the thoughtful reply.

ok, the warriors were the hardest decisions in this list for me. I think that shows because they are a little unclear in their direction. I want them to be shooty and I like the idea of dropping 6 small template shots at str 6 when combined with 3 more large template shots from the HT and 2 Fexes. And because they can only shoot one weapon per turn I was going to give them ST, but for a very small amount of points per model I could upgrade the ST to Rending Claws... well, that was my thought process anyway.

Of everything in the list I felt this combination was the biggest question as far as effectiveness. The good news is they have longer range and don't have to roll to hit and have higher str, the bad news is they scatter.

I envision this list creating a problem for my opponent by forcing him to decide what he wants to kill first, Genestealers moving quickly across the board or big scary shooty monsters moving a few inches behind. Basically moving in 2 waves, the scary one that will be here soon or the even scarier one that will be here a turn or two later but is sooting me to bits right now.

So thats what I'm trying to get the warriors to fit into. Any advice on a more effective way to gear them up so they are very effective at shooting things up (and I think the rending creates a mental fear of getting in CC with them) would be a great help, thanks =)

-Josh

PS I am also very excited about the flanking in from reserve on the stealers, and I was wondering your thoughts on how many to start on the table and how many to start in reserve... maybe all in reserve? lol, that would be a crazy deployment =) -josh
    Last edited by kr0w17; June 28th, 2008 at 10:51.
    "Boonm you not rrrh rot
    dot n dot n dot per rot
    dot n not n dot per

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warrior(4x) 150
    Alright, now that i know more about them i can give a better assesment. I believe the Scything Talons are probably better than Rending claws if you want them to shoot also. Shooting then assaulting could be deadly. The deathspitters are a great option if you want templates. But if you wanna stick with the blast theme consider switching the Venom Canon with another Deathspitter or a Barbed Strangler. The venom Canon is great if you wanna take some shots at the side/rear of vehicles, but the barbed strangler could help with that too.

Hope that helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only one stealer per brood needs feeder tendrils I'd say give the rest of the Acid maw, drop the scuttlers, strip down the warriors, and buy some gaunts + without number to shield them on the way to combat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

@Zygh - good advise on the Barbed Stranglers in the Warrior Brood, I'll be taking that advise I believe, and the ST suggestion, good all around, I think that will really firm these guys up.

@lain2k3 - I'm currently trying to get this list down to 1750 and I think dropping the # of stealers down to 4 groups of 12 and then adding 2 units of Spine Gaunts with Endless number might add to the shootiness theme and help with objectives. Thanks for the suggestion.

Is it true that you can give a biomorph to a single model in a unit? I don't know why but I just assumed you couldn't do that, I mean, could you give half of the squad EC?

Any suggestions for cutting this bad boy down to 1750 while maintaining enough shooty MCs to make it work would be great, 1750 games are on Saturday.

Thanks,

-Josh
    "Boonm you not rrrh rot
    dot n dot n dot per rot
    dot n not n dot per

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only one stealer per brood needs feeder tendrils I'd say give the rest of the Acid maw
    First, I'm 99.9% sure that you have to take a biomorph on every model in the brood. If you look just above the list of biomorphs on a Unit's entry, it says "...Paying the points cost listed per model in the brood.". Doesn't say "For each model you want it on". The Genestealer entry takes it a step further saying specificaly that the entire brood must take the selected biomorphs. So unless there is some errata I missed, you have to take it on all of them if you take it. He makes a good point though, that feeder tendrils are passed on to units next to the one with it. So if you take a broodlord, put it on him but not his retinue and they still get the benefits.

I woulld have agreed about scuttlers in 4th, but in 5th they really look like they're worth it. The only thing i would drop on the warriors is toxin sacs, and even that is iffy, its nice to have. Without Number, from my experience, really hasn't been worth it. When they die, they start back at the other end of the table. Ussualy the battle is almost over by the time they catch up again, so thats a few wasted points per model. If you want a shield, just use simple Spinegaunts with no morphs.

From what i've heard about shielding them with gaunts in 5th, it seems slightly unreliable. Even if you have alot of them its easy to punch through. It will really come in handy, but remember that you can still use terrain also, and don't be afraid too. The gauntshield is nice, but will never replace terrain.

As for trimming down the list, my first suggestion would be a few less stealers, 4 broods sounds good (Though i perfer mine in 8, not 12). And i think that brings you down to around 1750 already.

Hope it helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Oh yeah, that reminds me, these games will be using the 5th edition rules.

The more I think about it, 4 broods of 'stealers should be enough. Depending on how I look on points, I'll add gaunts just to put more troop choices on the board.

I also want to keep the TS if possible on the Warriors, but I can see the logic of dropping the TS if it comes down to the wire points-wise.

I'll start the game with 3 units of 'stealers deployed and leave one in reserve to come in on the short table edge, I can't wait to see how this will run, maybe I'll leave 2 in reserve...

I'll post a finalized list before the game day.
    "Boonm you not rrrh rot
    dot n dot n dot per rot
    dot n not n dot per

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

OK, finished cutting it down to 1750, this is the list I'll be playing Saturday in our 5th ed games. I'll be playing against IG, Tau and Space Wolves.

HQ

Hive Tyrant - ES, TS, TL Devourer, Venom Canon

Warriors 3x- TS, Barbed Strangeler, 2x Death Spitter, 3x Scything Talons

Elites

Warriors 3x- TS, Barbed Strangeler, 2x Death Spitter, 3x Scything Talons

Dakka Fex - ES, 2x TL Devourer

Dakka Fex - ES, 2x TL Devourer

Troops

Spine Gaunts x17

Spine Gaunts x17

'Stealers x10 - Feeder Tendrils

'Stealers x10 - Feeder Tendrils, Scuttlers

Heavy

SniperFex - ES, Venom Canon, Barbed Strangler

SniperFex - ES, Venom Canon, Barbed Strangler

Total: 1747, 85 models
    Last edited by kr0w17; July 3rd, 2008 at 21:04.
    "Boonm you not rrrh rot
    dot n dot n dot per rot
    dot n not n dot per

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Well, Saturday I played this list (but I dropped the scuttlers completely and made the gaunts 20 strong each) against IG.

We rolled Dawn of War and I started the game with 40 gaunts and a HT at the middle of the Table !!1!1

I eliminated his troops but had lots of trouble with his tanks, basically ending the game with 3 objectives on turn 6 to his 0 objectives, but no way to destroy his leman russes.

My MVP was my spine gaunts that got everything rolling with 2 won combats, wiping out 2 squads, and after the Tyrant ate the big one, they passed 2 LD 5 tests to move, shoot, and assault a group of gaurd around an objective.

He destroyed my 2 sniper fex turn 3 and obviously the HT was the first MC to go but he didn't have the troops left to claim objectives, despite my inability to stop his battle canons from blasting my 'stealers to bits.

Overall it was a great game and a victory for the 'Nids.

Thanks for the help guys,

-Josh
    "Boonm you not rrrh rot
    dot n dot n dot per rot
    dot n not n dot per

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast