2000 - 1st List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2000 - 1st List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x3)

2000 - 1st List

HQ: Warboss + power klaw, twin shoota, bosspole, eavy armour - 100
    HQ: Grotsnik - 160

E: Lootas - 75
    E: Burnaz - 75
    E: 5 Nobz – Waagh banna, 2 power klaws, trukk - 200

T: 6 Nob Bikerz – 2 power klaws, waagh banna - 335
    T: 20 Orks – nob, bosspole, 2 rokkits, power klaw - 180
    T: 12 Orks – nob, bosspole, 1 big shoota, power klaw, trukk - 152
    T: 12 Orks – nob, bosspole, 1 rokkits, power klaw, trukk - 157

FA: 5 Stormboyz + Zagstruck - 145
    FA: 3 Deffkoptas – bigbomms, twin rokkits - 180

HS: 2 Kannonz + ammo runt - 46
    HS: Looted Waggon – 2 rocket launchers, ard case, armour plates, scorcha - 90
    HS: Looted Waggon – 2 rocket launchers, ard case, armour plates, scorcha - 90

A few reasons -

Looted Wagons - I have a few unused rhinos lying about, so i'll slap a few havoc launchers or HKM's on them and a heavy flamer - that's orky, right?
    Deffkoptas - I'll have 3 from the Black reach box
    Stormboyz - A bit of a 'meh' unit - do they work?
    Kannonz - as above - have I to drop the cannons and stormboyz for schorchas or wartrakks or anything?

edit - I can't have 2 special weapons in a unit of 12 orks, can I?

C&C badly needed, never made an ork list before.

Cheers!

Last edited by distortiondave; July 2nd, 2008 at 12:20.
    I can't say I've seen it all but I live for the things that keep me hollow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Hmm....

It's a start, but the units in this list are generally too small to be competitive at a 2000 point level. I'd consider scaling back to 1500 points. There are also some problems with the list as a whole:

1. The unit of stormboyz is far too small. Stormboys should never be played in units and less than 13, or else they won't live long enough to do damage. In a unit this small, Zaggstruk is basically a waste, and honestly, I think he's a waste in any case. A nob with a powerklaw and bosspole is far superior. If that's all the stormboyz you have, I'd cut them out completely.

2. Deffkoptas aren't worth bunching together unless you have 5. Otherwise, a single casualty will cause a panic check. Without the stormboyz, you have 3 open fast attack slots and 3 deffkoptas. I'd field each deffkopta by itself, with one deffkopta per unit. Your opponent will have to shoot at each kopta separately, and if one dies, it won't affect the others. Also, you should drop the big bombs. Unless you're fighting Tyranids, and your opponent bunches genestealers together, it's all but impossible to get your points back from them, since they always scatter, and are gone after one shot.

3. The kannons should only cost 43 points, unless there's an ammo runt for each kannon. I'd find a 3rd cannon and play with 3 in the unit. Big gunz, like warbuggies, killa kans, and deffkoptas work very well when fieled individually, although in the case of the big gunz, a cheap battery of 3 kannons isn't bad. In other words: I'd use 1 or 3 kannons, but not 2.

4. I'd cut the extra armor, ard case and 2 guns off the looted wagons. They're too fragile to warrant the extra armor, and 'ard case takes away the passengers ability to freely shoot while inside. Extra guns don't work because in 5th edition, you'll only be able to shoot them all unless you're perfectly still, and that isn't going to happen much, especially with the scorcha.

5. I wouldn't use 2 regular looted wagons in this list. One is good, because the burnas need a transport (I generally field them in units of 9-13, but they can work in small teams too). Instead of a regular looted wagon, why not give one a boomgun? Give it a big shoota/rokkit and 'ard case as well, and you've got a decent troop. I give it the extra gun besides the ordnance so it isn't useless after a 'weapon destroyed' result. It might need a little conversion, but the havok launcher probably looks good enough for it.

6. The nobz/nob bikers are too underpowered. You need at least 2-5 more guys in the normal unit of nobz, or else they're going to die really quick. Both units also need a painboy, cybork bodies, and a bosspole. If you don't want to pay for these things, I'd just field a regular unit of trukk boyz instead. The nob bikers are fine at 6, as long as they have a painboy. Just convert one out of the regular boyz.

7. On that note, you really need at least one more trukk, and two would be better. Trukks die easily, so having a large number is a good idea, to ensure at least some of them make it into enemy lines. I play 3-4 minimum, or else I don't use them at all.

8. What's Mad Doc Grotznik doing in this list? If you're going to use him, make the 20 ork unit a 30 ork unit, and attach him there. Anything less isn't going to survive, since your opponent will make destroying that unit his number one priority.

9. Never put a bosspole on an independent character, if it can be helped. Always put it on the unit you're going to attach him to instead. That way, if the character dies, the unit still has a bosspole. There's literally no advantage to having the bosspole on the character.

10. Always give warbosses and teams of nobz cybork bodies. Otherwise, they'll get torn apart by power weapons and monstrous creatures.

11. I generally don't give special weapons to boyz in trukks. If they can shoot the enemy, then the enemy can shoot them, and the trukk is toast. Keep the trukk out of sight until you're ready to strike, and if you give them a ram, you can sneak through terrain too.

12. 5 Lootas aren't enough. You need at least 4-5 more, or they'll probably die turn 1. They're just too tempting a target.

Here's how I'd field your list at a 1500 point level:

HQ

Warboss w/powerklaw, cybork, 'eavy armor [100]

TROOP

20 Slugga/Shoota boyz w/2 rokkits, nob, powerklaw, bosspole [180]

12 Slugga boyz w/nob, powerklaw, bosspole, trukk, ram [152]

12 Slugga boyz w/nob, powerklaw, bosspole, trukk, ram [152]

11 Slugga boyz w/nob, powerklaw, bosspole, trukk, ram [146] [attach warboss]

ELITE

5 Burnas +1 mek w/big shoota (just use a big shoota model) [90]

6 nob bikers w/2 powerklaws, painboy, cybork, waugghh banner, bosspole [400]

FAST

Deffkopta w/rokkits [45]

Deffkopta w/rokkits [45]

HEAVY

Kannon [20]

Looted wagon w/boomgun, ard case, rokkit [125]

Looted wagon w/rokkit [45]

For 2000 points you really need another trukk, more boyz, more lootas, and more burnas.

Did you see my article entitled 'the basics' in the 'ork index 2008'? A lot of people have found that helpful.

In any case, good luck!
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you wanted to keep the stormboyz though I would definitely say to do so. Like Grax said drop Zagstruck as he isn't worth the points he costs but you could always use those points to field more stormboyz. Between dropping Zagstruck and all the trukk and heavy weapons upgrades you could probably get them up to a decent size unit. If you can push numbers around and get them to a unit of about 15+ including a nob with BP and PK you might be pleasantly surprised at how well they perform. Plus it's always nice to have a method to get some boyz across the field quickly. Trukks and wagons are of course a great way to do it but the only problem is if they take some tankbustin hits early you're left with a weak footsloggin' unit that will most likely get torn apart in the next turn. At least with stormboyz if they take a few shots there is still enough to get across the field and get into CC in a turn or two.

With 5th edition they might make for a nice screen if you got some footsloggers coming up behind them. Haven't played any 5th edition games yet and don't fully know the rules so that's just a stab in the dark but worth looking into.

As for taking Grotsnik I could see where having him would be nice since you can pass around cybork bodies to some of the units and give his unit FNP but the only problem is with this army I'm not seeing where'd you'd stick him in at. Perhaps the footslogging slugga boyz but if I were I'd drop him altogether to put more points towards the loota squad and other things.
    "Orks have to be followers of Nurgle! They're green, smell bad, and just want to spread the fun!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x3)

Thanks chaps, very helpful.

With regard to trukks - would I be better doing all or nothing maybe? No trukks and hordes of boyz, or all mounted?

As said, I have a ton of boyz waiting to be converted, but thats all - when I get the Black Reach Box I'll have a warboss, nobz, more boyz and the koptas. With one box of lootas/burnaz I can create two units of five from one box.
    The warboss and grotsnik were going with the nobz in the trukk - but all your eggs, and all that I suppose.

Grotsnik is there simply because I know how special characters illicit responses and he is the one which stuck out the most given that I don't really want a shock attack gun.

What about running a Warphead in a foot slogging list? Any merit to that?

So -
    Burnaz need a transport, Lootas need protection. Got it. What about a big mek with KFF with the Lootas?

What about a (almost) complete horde list with the Burnaz in looted wagons as my only mechanised either on the flanks or up the center - a waagh and (if poss) warphead waagh + run = 2nd turn combat?
    Backed up by lootas unit with KFF big mek, nob bikes, no trukks but 20+boyz per unit + deff koptas as general annoyance units.

Workable? - I'll be able to get all that together fairly cheap, and money matters
    I can't say I've seen it all but I live for the things that keep me hollow.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Hmm...

I'd only use the KFF if you had several units for them to protect. If it's just the lootas, I'd just try and keep them in terrain. With 5th edition, they'll be fine as long as there's another unit in front of them. The KFF is great, but it isn't woth 85 points just to protect a single unit. If you want the lootas to be better at surviving, then I'd just increase their number.

Yes, with trukks it's really all or nothing, unless you need them for a single unit of nobz/meganobz. If the only option is one or two trukks, then I wouldn't use any.

Weirdboyz, upgraded to Warp 'eads are great in footslogging lists. The extra movement is great (although not as great in 5th edition), and the auto-hit 'shooting' powers are great for orks, since they don't have many other methods of anti-armor. If you're using a footslogging list (lots of boyz on foot), I'd consider using a big mek with a KFF, and a warp 'ead as the HQs. With 5th edition, you could nix the KFF though, by just stringing a long line of boyz or grotts across the front of your army.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

+ Reply to Thread