Welcome to Librarium Online!
Shokk Attack gun
3 Rokkit Launchas
10 Burna Boyz
12 Ard Boyz w/ Stikkbombs
12 Ork Boyz w/ Stikkbombs
12 Ork Boyz w/ Stikkbombs
16 Storm Boyz
Red paint job
Red paint job
This list is geared with 5th Edition in mind. I plan to pretty much run up the table, and keeping the lootas in a good Firing position to take out beefy units or non AV-14 Vehicles. Stormboyz (with lovely Zagstruk) will be deep striking in.
Last edited by Bigs180; July 4th, 2008 at 19:54.
You might want to go easy on the fast attack there, bub
My OGRE KINGDOMS SITE! http://ogre-kingdoms.com CLICK ME
For an 1850 list, there's a large amount of 'special troops', but very little groups of normal boyz, which is usually a recipe for disaster.
You need to cut some of the excess points, and squeeze at least one more trukk full of regular boyz in there. Better yet, I'd try and squeeze in two.
Here are some things that can really be cut:
1. The Warboss. I'm not even sure where you're planning to put him. The only place I can see that makes sense is with the burnas, and in that case, he really needs a bosspole. I'd just cut him though. On that note, I'd change at least 2 burnas into big meks with kustom mega blastas. That way, they can hunt tanks, terminators and monstrous creatures when they're not in burna range.
2. The rokkit launchers on the meks. Giving a long range 'Heavy' unit some short range 'Assault' shots doesn't really make sense. I'd give them big shootas instead, so they'll be able to usually shoot at the same distant targets as the lootas.
3. 'Ard boyz upgrades. It nearly doubles the cost of the unit, just for a slightly better save. For that many points, you might as well be using nobz.
4. The boarding planks, red paint job and extra armor on the trukks. Like the boyz, you're almost doubling the cost of the model just on extras that most likely won't make much of a difference. If you're sending the trukks near vehicles to use the boarding planks, then you're not sending them towards enemy troops, which is what the boyz in the trukk should be doing. Even if it's the best thing to do, why do you want to keep your boys inside the trukk? It's not as if they're any safer inside the trukk than outside. A wrecking ball is a better deal, all things considered. Red paint job is fun, but rarely significant. Extra armor is the worst of them. If your opponent is in a position to shoot the trukks, then the trukk is dead. It's so ridiculously easy to get a penetrating hit on a trukk, the only safe place for them is behind cover...which is why I always give trukks rams. The ability to drive through cover, with a significantly decreased risk of getting stuck, is the best upgrade they can have.
5. Boss Zagstrukk. Zagstrukk is the worst special character in the ork army. Some people swear by him, but I've only seen him get ork boyz killed. First, you have to deepstrike with him, and since Stormboyz move 13-18 inches a turn, not counting the additional 6in assault, there's no real point in deep striking them anyway. Second, unlike a nob with a powerklaw and bosspole, Zagstrukk only has powerklaw attacks for the first round of combat, and only if his unit assaults the enemy. If they get assaulted, they don't get any powerklaw attacks, and this happens just as often as it doesn't. One game, they deep striked out of reach of an assault, and got assaulted by Space Marines the next turn, and were wiped out shortly thereafter. Another game, they deep struck and killed a unit, but was assaulted by a group of walkers on the opponent's turn. No powerklaw attacks meant no damage (stikkbombs don't work well on walkers) and again, the whole unit was killed shortly thereafter. In either case, a nob with a powerklaw would have saved the day. Zagstrukk isn't worth even half his cost.
6. 3 warbuggies, and all their upgrades. Again, a warbuggy is so easy to kill, that armor plates will mean nothing, and the red paint job will mean even less than on the trukks. I'd also cut them down to 1 buggy per unit. Groups of buggies are really easy to kill all in a single round, since every army has a 'heavy bolter' equivalent that can hit every buggy in the unit, and blow them up in rapid succession. By having only one buggy in each unit, it limits how much you can lose, and enables them to sneak along, underneath your opponent's attention.
7. The armor plates on the boomgun. I don't see the point in this. It enables the vehicle to treat stunned results as shaken. What's the point? It's not as if you'll be moving it around much.
Cutting off extras enables you to field more troops, and this will win you matches. Not counting the warboss, the extras I suggested cutting out (replacing Zagstrukk with a nob w/powerklaw and bosspole) come to around 390 points. With the warboss, it's 510 points. That's almost 1/3 of your list, taken up by nearly meaningless extras. For those points, you could double the number of trukk boyz in the list, which would do infinitely more for you than armor plates and red paint jobs.
It's a good start for a list, but if you want to consistently win matches, you've got to cut out the fluff and filler.
"Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
i'm pretty sure you can't have a SAG and a burna on a big mek. they're both two handed weapons. not to be dick or anything, just sayin'
My award winning Orky tale
There's nothing saying you can't have two two-handed weapons; you just can't use 'em both.
Also, Ork 'dex says replace choppa with burna (or PK) and replace slugga with Shokk Gun so you can have both.
Anyway, as for the list, there's a bit wrong with it... I'lls tart from the top
Warboss> Looks good.
Big Mek> TBH I'd drop the Burna, and the Cybork body. Having a Shokk Gun for long-distance ordnance and a burna to flame stuff or hit stuff with power weapons seems nice but to be honest Big Meks with SAGs rarely, rarely ever get into combat or anywhere close to it. And even when they do, a single Big Mek isn't likely to cause any damage anyway; better to save the points and focus him on shooting the SAG.
Lootas> Personally I never liked putting Meks in Loota mobs. Those 3 meks, even though they can fire three S8 weapons, only do so by sacrificing up to 9 S7 shots. I'd prefer the 9 S7 to 3 S8
Trukks> Waaaay too much on them. Stick with re-enforced ram and maybe red paint. Boarding planks are a waste; its much better simply to hop out and kill vehicles from the ground. Also, armour plates, at 10pts a pop, are mighty expensive. Trukks are meant to be completely disposable cheapo transports whose main function ceases the moment the Boyz get out. Also, as has been said, armour plates are almost useless as they'll only ever get stunned 1/6 of the time, as opposed to 4th edition where stuns were quite common.
Boyz> Get rid of the stikkbombs. First of all you're paying 12pts when you could just slap a Stikkbomb chucka on each trukk for 5pts, and you get the same thing. Secondly, 5th edition offensive grenades (frags, stikkbombs etc) aren't that great; rather than making you Initiative 10 they make all combatants fight at normal initiative, which, with Orks, means that basically everyone who's not Guard or Tau will be hitting you first no matter what. And lets face it, there's no big deal in letting Tau or Guardsmen hit first, they'd be lucky to poke an Ork in the eye.
Buggies> You're spending 15 points extra on these buggies. Get rid of the red paint and armour plates. Like Trukks, buggies are so weak that most damage will kill them regardless; they also don't need the extra 1" movement like trukks do. If anything you should only upgrade them to trakks so they can reroll failed dangerous terrain tests, otherwise take them with no equipment.
Looted Wagons> The Boomwagon looks okay, though I'd suggest replacing the Armour Plates with Grot Riggers -- it isnt very important for Looted Wagons to ignore stunned. As for the second Wagon, what exactly is its purpose? Who is it going to transport? If you're adding it for the sake of adding another vehicle, just add another warbuggy with rokkits, they'll be much more useful.
Takka n' Wakka's Dakka Attacka! 33W / 6L / 1D