Does this army work in 5th ed? 1500pts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

Does this army work in 5th ed? 1500pts

Hello guys, I wonder if anyone here remembers me (haven't posted here, played or really thought of warhammer for over a year). Anyway, here is an army list I made from my 4th (most date back from 3rd) ed Eldar, now I've read about the major changes in 5th ed and tried to come up with a sweet list for it. I'll just have to buy a new Wraithlord.

I'd like some feedback on how you think this army will work out with the new rules, not just each unit but the army as a whole (eldar are supposed to support each other remember, to negate weaknesses of units).

Here it is, anyway. Please point out if it is difficult to read and understand and I'll edit it.

Eldar army list 1498 pts

HQ

Farseer 140
    Doom, Fortune, Spirit stone, RoWi

Elite

Harlequin Troupe 212
    8 harlies 4x kiss
    1 shadowseer + kiss

Troop

Guardian defenders 95
    +Scatter laser

Guardian defenders 95
    +Scatter laser

Path-finders 120

Jetbike squad 140
    3 + 1 shuricannon
    1 Spiritseer+singing spear+destructor
    (I added the spirit seer upgrades to use up some points I had left over, please suggest better usages for these 14 points!)

Storm Guardians 186
    15 guardians
    1 Spiritseer+enhance
    (I added the spirit seer upgrades to use up some points I had left over, please suggest better usages for these 14 points!)

Fast Attack

Vyper 60
    scatter laser

Vyper 60
    scatter laser

Heavy Support

Wraithlord 135
    EML+scatter laser

D-Cannon 50

D-Cannon 50

Total points: 1498

I'll try not to be stingy, but please don't be offended if act defensive with my list. I'll be open to feedback but I always feel the need to answer it somehow. I might be wrong though I try to act like I'm right.

Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Without some insight into your possible tactics it's always hard to judge an army. But I'll just guess based on how I would use it. Lots of guardians and no transports equals...wall and march towards enemy. Not always the best use of guardians missing conceal but ok. Harlies, wraithlord, avatar, farseer march behind them providing counter attackers in the case that this CC defenseless squads get charged. Vypers and jetbikies fill in holes, harass, provide anti mob. D-Cannons march behind then blow away units dumb enough to get too close. Seems reasonable.

But I feel like an over lack of speed/range will cause your army to be whittled down a lot before those guardians get close enough than to serve as cannon fodder. Then your counter attackers get in, and with a wraithlord/avatar combo theres not much they cant take. So I can see this all happening but D-Cannons dont get much time to pay for themselves with units in range being tied into CC. Same true for pathfinders (as their ideal target is monstrous creatures, termies, pinnable units, only the last of these three should be visible before your units get into CC).

So I would drop the D-Cannons/Pathfinders and replace with falcon (mobile fire power than can knock some tank heads), replace the scatter on the wraithlord with a BL (you have plenty of anti-mob), and then throw in some seers with conceal to the guardian squads and buff them up a bit (as you have fortune already this should greatly increase their life expectancy). Also and I'm not sure about this myself but the jetbikes points might be better used on hawks/spiders as are more versatile in their mobility and can both be used to anti-tank in a pinch, in addition to the harassing potential the bikes offer. Hope this helps.
    -Alaitoc Ranger Force (1850pts)
    -Nucleonauts (started)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

A pretty good guess, sorry for not making my tactics clear.

The Defender Guardians will mostly remain as a base, in cover, providing some firepower. This serves mostly as an illusion actually, it makes my army seen stationary (coupled with the two D-cannons, that's 290 points "stationary") while in fact it can move around a lot, gyring around the table where it fits.

I've used Warlocks in the guardian squads before, but I figure they're just not worth the points to justify what the warlock costs anymore. They should hug cover instead, or just try to be ignored. In 5th ed, cover will not be in short supply. At least that is my reasoning, but I can see myself buffing up these squads a bit instead to make them more durable.

In the storm squad however I can't really decide, I'm not sure whether to go with Conceal or Enhance. Conceal makes them so much more mobile, as they don't have to worry about the Avatar (which can run in 5th ed) or Wraithlord giving them cover saves by obstructing LOS (the original plan). Enhance does make them very killy though... but then, maybe they should just be clingers hogging down a unit for the Avatar can charge, in which case they should focus on survivability. What do you think?

D-Cannons are mostly cheap ways to protect my flanks, make my army seem more stationary, and pop heavy transports getting close. I might drop one of them for points and space, but I really enjoy using them. More importantly they cause pinning, having enemies pinned is pretty nice when they try to run away from you.

Warp Spiders! Why didn't I think of that? They are like the awesomest unit out there. I remember killing everything with those dudes. I'm inserting a squad of 8 into the list, that's 176 points. For this I'll drop the spirit seer upgrades, now I have 14 pts... a D-cannon, now it's 64, and perhaps, perhaps the Path-finders then... but they are so sweet... but OK, if I drop them I'll have 184 points, after buying the spiders I'll have 8 points left. A storm guardian worth of points, pretty much.

And I'll switch the warlock's power to conceal.

Vypers are mainly there to flank and take out enemy light vehicles, but their value will be greatly reduces now in 5th ed when they cannot claim objectives anymore. I'm thinking about dropping them. Now I can either buy back my path-finders (same points) or get like... a Fire Prism or another Wraithlord. But it is usually a bad idea to have just one medium tank in your army since all the weaponry of the enemy will be directed against it pretty much.

Maybe get a Wraithlord with sword and bright lance? that's 140 pts though, I'd need to drop some storm guardians.

Oh, the weapons on the first WL... it's just that Scatter+EML work so nicely together! They can take out both infantry and light to medium vehicles. An EML+BL will be more expensive, and more specialized. I thought originally that I would use my close quarter dudes to take out heavy tanks. Avatar, Farseer and the Warlocks shred tanks in CC usually. Especially with the new rules that say you always hit the weakest armor spot on the tank. Leman russes can be a problem, but the snazzy spiders and jetbikes should be able to cope with them. If they're not in extreme numbers, anyway.

What do you think of my musings? The Harlies will pretty much try to get into CC, and take out whatever enemies my other units would have problems with. They can kill any squad, short of 30 Hormagaunts.

I'm also thinking about fleshing out my jetbikes... but there are no points!
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

+ Reply to Thread