First Ponderings - 2,000 points / 5th edition - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Charitably Tables People MVBrandt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

First Ponderings - 2,000 points / 5th edition

Hive Tyrant - 2 Twin-Linked Devourers, Enhanced Senses, Toxin Sacs - 121
    Hive Tyrant - 2 Twin-Linked Devourers, Enhanced Senses, Toxin Sacs - 121

Carnifex - 2 Twin-Linked Devourers, Enhanced Senses, Flesh Hooks - 114

31 Spinegaunts - 155
    31 Spinegaunts - 155
    31 Spinegaunts - 155
    31 Spinegaunts - 155
    31 Spinegaunts - 155
    30 Spinegaunts - 150

Carnifex - Venom Cannon, Barbed Strangler, Enhanced Senses - 148
    Carnifex - Venom Cannon, Barbed Strangler, Enhanced Senses - 148
    3 Zoanthropes - Warp Blast, Synapse - 195

The intent is to point out how broken some of the 5th edition missions are ... that's an almost impossible # of spinegaunts to get rid of, unless you have a VERY infantry-heavy army of your own, in which case the mass devourer spam will obliterate you in ways that cannot be talked about in public. Synapse is a little light, but the ability to run with Zoanthropes and/or Tyrants, and the ability to effectively cover up / los block the Zoanthropes should keep things above board.

It's 2,000 points on the dot.

PS - I do not care to take defensive upgrades on the MC's at this time at the expense of Spinegaunts ... I've played enough with them to not feel they are necessary in most games, where you can utilize cover to replace the defensive upgrades with solid effect.

Last edited by MVBrandt; July 7th, 2008 at 20:01.
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

183 (x3)

Wow, that is nasty! Those Devourers will just eat away at anything, even with a good armor save.

The only problem I see is what you will do against tanks, as the Venom Cannons can't kill them anymore, and the Barbed Strangler cant take down the front armor on some of the heavier ones. I suppose you could get them in melee, but then you would have to advance into your opponent's melee force (if they knew where you would go). The Devourers can get the side armor of some, but only 1/6 of your penetrating shots will kill it (AP -). I just want to see your thoughts.

Other than that Warp Blast works the best, and you have a nice helping of that as well, but you will need to get close as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x5)

Venom Cannon / Barbed Strangler combos are still the cat's ass for shutting down opposing tank FIRE, they just don't kill with the same reliability anymore. Devourerspam will work on AV12 and less, again at least for shutting things up.

Rending doesn't work well on vehicles anymore one way or another, and Warp Blast is solid ... hence using 3 zoanthropes instead of a third sniperfex. To a degree, we're gonna just have to eat reduced anti-tank capacity.
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

183 (x3)

Yeah, that is true. Depending on who you face Venom Cannons will still do very well, but if it is Chaos and they like Daemonic Possesion (which my brother does) you wont do anything to them in the glancing table unless you get a roll of 5 or 6, but everything else you should do fine on (like my IG buddy).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My question is how do you fit 180+ models into a 3" x 2" quarter when you play that specific mission. Obviously you could squeeze them in, but scattering blaster templates are nasty especially when partials do not exist. Are you willing to take the loses? Reserves?
    If at first you don't succeed, add weighted dice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only possible change I could see would be to switch out a 'fex for a TL dev Warrior brood. You wouldn't lose much in the way of firepower, and you'd gain another synapse node. That said, I'm not sure if that would really be an improvement or not. I already feel sorry for that list's victims.
    From the ashes, a fire shall be woken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

196 (x5)

It isn't a bad suggestion, but they're very fragile in comparison ... I currently use - as many here know - 3 broods of tl dev warriors in my 4th list, and have for quite some time. If someone targets them, they usually die, but oh well (even with cover). In 5th, the annihilate mission means a trio of warriors makes too easy a killpoint (sadly). I'm hoping the need to kill all 3 zoanthropes for a killpoint, and the fact that 3 of them offer better coverage than a single brood of warriors (since they can split up and be hidden more easily), makes them a better overall choice for this theme.

Thanks for the input, though
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

+ Reply to Thread