1,500 points foot sloggers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1,500 points foot sloggers

Greetings denizens of LO (long time lurker, first time poster),
    With the advent of the 5th edition ruleset I've decide that I'll finally get back into the realm of 40k with an eldar army. I've opted to start out with a small, all-comers list that i can use at my local gaming club, and here it is:

HQ
    Autarch w/Hawk wings, Mandiblasters, Power Weapon and Fusion Gun-120

Farseer w/Spirit Stones, Singing Spear, Runes of Warding, Runes of Witnessing, Guide, Doom-148

Elites
    Striking Scorpions [6] w/Exarch, Chainsabres, Shadowstrike, Stalker-135

Troops
    Dire Avengers [10] w/Exarch, Twin Shuriken Catapults, Bladestorm-152
    Waveserpent w/TL Shuriken Cannons, Vectored Engines, Shuriken Cannon-130

Rangers [5] w/Pathfinders-120

Fast Attack
    Swooping Hakws [6] w/Exarch, Hawks Talon, Skyleap, Intercept-168

Heavy Support
    Wraithlord w/Famers, Wraithsword, Eldar MIssile Launcher-115

War Walker w/Twin Scatter Lasers-60

War Walker w/Twin Eldar MIssile Launcher-80

1500 points

The general plan of attack is to send the un-mounted DA's up one of the flanks (hopefully one with a prevalence of infantry) along with the farseer and the wraithlord, whilst the mounted DA's will take the other flank with the war walkers. The pathfinders and the scorps will attack from the extreme flanks/rear of the enemy, hopefully inside the enemy deployment zone, whilst the swooping hawks (with attached autarch) will strike at slow moving vehicles/expensive elite squads.

C&C greatly appreciated, as I havent played a game of 40k in about 2 years and I'm a little rusty on common conventions >.<

plas-tech

Friend: Right, those 'stealers are going to assault the land raider
    Me: Not Levi...
    Friend: *sigh*

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the forums plastic, lets see if I could help with the list maybe. First off I'd have to say having a "take-all-comers" army is not something the eldar are particularly good at but meh, bless you for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Plastic View Post
    HQ
    Autarch w/Hawk wings, Mandiblasters, Power Weapon and Fusion Gun-120

Farseer w/Spirit Stones, Singing Spear, Runes of Warding, Runes of Witnessing, Guide, Doom-148
    I like the Autarch w/ Hawk wings, however I'm not sure if I agree with his wargear. As you have him following your swooping hawks around I might drop the fusion gun as they have plenty of anti-tank potential. That said fusion guns obviously have another use of character/monstrous creature destroying. In most cases though, this means youre in range to shoot but not charge, and will then be charged the next turn. Never good. Plus you'll waste his attached hawks shooting as well. Fusion gun better for solo tank hunting. For the farseer I'm conflicted on the inclusion of guide as there are no BS 3 units around him. I might drop this in favor of mindwar as it allows you to deal with enemy characters.

Elites
    If always able to act in the manner you have planned for them, these scorpions would probably serve just fine. However, in cases where they are unable to infilitrate these units should be able to counter attack for the DAs on your slower moving flank, albeit might be a turn behind due to slow movement, so I suppose they work regardless.

Troops
    Waveserpent w/TL Shuriken Cannons, Vectored Engines, Shuriken Cannon-130
    No real problems with your troops here. Solid DA core is always a good start, however as target #1 on your slow side, I would be concerned with the longevity of that DA squad. Once again your pathfinders will serve you well whether they can infiltrate or not as they can provide cover/cross fire from either side of the table. I would try to put some BLs on the serpent as your army does have glaring needs for anti-tank.

Fast Attack
    Swooping Hakws [6] w/Exarch, Hawks Talon, Skyleap, Intercept-168
    I like swooping hawks as they can be great for tank hunting, harassing, and using their grenade packs. However I disagree with the exarch configuration if you're attaching them to the Autarch and using them how you outlined. The exarch needs a power weapon if this squad is supposed to be dealing with elites as their lasguns wont do much to most elite armor. That said, a hawk exarch with power weapon wont do much damage either and I dont think these units work well in an elite hunting role.

Heavy Support
    Wraithlord w/Famers, Wraithsword, Eldar MIssile Launcher-115
    War Walker w/Twin Scatter Lasers-60
    War Walker w/Twin Eldar MIssile Launcher-80
    At first glance I notice youre missing the points from the wraithsword on the lord. Again I would change out your heavy weapon for a BL as you need to be able to take on heavier armor. I like walkers with scatter lasers, but those with missile launchers are somewhat wasted on the second. I might make them the same as they both are anti-light tank if needed.

Overall a pretty solid list. The one big change I would make is to remove the autarch and rather used another DA squad on the foot slogging side of things as one wont last long enough to serve the purpose you intend (which is why I usaully pack up ALL my DAs in serpents). That or pack a smaller DA squad into a falcon and send it down the faster side while dropping a walker. It might function just fine the way you have it but once you play a game Id like to hear how it goes.
    Last edited by rhammi; July 8th, 2008 at 11:14.
    -Alaitoc Ranger Force (1850pts)
    -Nucleonauts (started)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the feedback rhammi, I agree with what you say about the Autarch and the Hawks, I think I just fell for the models and had to have them >.<. Having talked with the organiser of my local gaming club I got the impression that there are a few MEQ armies there, so I'll kill two birds with one stone and add in some anit-MEQ along with the changes you suggested. My new list stands as:

HQ
    Farseer w/Spirit Stones, Singing Spear, Runes of Witnessing, Mindwar, Doom, Fortune-163

Elites

Howling Banshees [6] w/Exarch, Executioner, War Shout, Accrobatic-128
    Waveserpent w/TL Bright Lances, Vectored Engines-155

Troops
    Waveserpent w/TL Bright Lances, Vectored Engines-155

Heavy Support
    Wraithlord w/Flamers, Bright Lance, Eldar Missile Launcher-155

War Walker w/ Twin Scatter Lasers, Spirit Stones-65

1500 points

The general idea for tactics stays the same with the farseer casting fortune on the un-mounted Dire Avengers in order to keep them alive along with my shiny new anti-tank wraithlord. The Banshees will take the place of the hawks as elite hunters, with the other avengers and the war walker. Scorps and pathfinders remain unchanged tactics wise.

Thanks again for the help.

plas-tech
    Last edited by Plastic; July 9th, 2008 at 18:28. Reason: Spelling and Mirrorswords/Executioner copy error
    Friend: Right, those 'stealers are going to assault the land raider
    Me: Not Levi...
    Friend: *sigh*

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

HQ: Drop one power (Probably fortune). Also I think runes of warding would be better than witnessing.

Scorpions: Give the exarch the claw as you need at least one power weapon in an army.

Banshees: Either give the exarch the executioner or drop her entirely as you just get a few extra S3 attacks otherwise. If you want that extra squad members give you better returns and last longer.

Mech avengers: Good. Swapp VE for Spirit stones on this one as you will want to fire with the BL more often.

Foot avengers: shimmer shield may be better than extra catt as combat is more likely. Get defend as well if you can.

Rangers: Im not keen on these units and certainly don't reccomend more than one in a 1500 point list. Another 10 dire avengers could be better even if you can't aford the exarch.

Wraithlord is superb.

War walker can easily loose the spirit stones if you can find something else that needs the points.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

+ Reply to Thread