How would this be for a 1500 point list? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How would this be for a 1500 point list?

I'll be building it with two of the Black Reach sets, so the choices may be sub-optimal, but it's just a fun army at the shop I go to, I'll use my Guard army in tournaments. Most of the opponents will be MEQs, with a decent amount of Tau, some tyranids, and 1 or 2 Guard players.

Edit: Forgot to remove the extra shootas when I changed them to mechanized boyz. Spent the points on boss poles.

HQ:

Warboss, power klaw, 'eavy armor
    5 nobz, 1 power klaw, 'eavy armor
    Trukk

Troops:

5 nobz, 'eavy armor, 1 power klaw
    Trukk

11 sluggas, 1 big shoota, nob with power klaw and bosspole, 'eavy armor
    Trukk

11 shootas, 1 big shoota, nob with power klaw and bosspole, 'eavy armor
    Trukk

11 sluggas, 1 big shoota, nob with power klaw and bosspole, 'eavy armor
    Trukk

Fast attack:

5 deffkoptas

Heavy support:

3 killa kans, big shootas

1 deff dread, big shoota, skorcha

1 looted wagon, boomgun, big shoota

But trukks are expensive, and mechanized is going to be harder to use, so until I get better I might think of using something like this:

HQ:

5 nobz, 1 power klaw, 'eavy armor
    Trukk

Troops:

Trukk

19 sluggas, 2 big shootas, nob with power klaw, bosspole, and 'eavy armor

19 shootas, 2 big shootas, nob with power klaw, bosspole, and 'eavy armor

19 sluggas, 1 big shoota, nob with power klaw, bosspole, and 'eavy armor

19 sluggas, 1 big shoota, nob with power klaw, bosspole, and 'eavy armor

Fast attack:

4 deffkoptas (or would 2 and 2 be better?)

Heavy:
    1 killa kan, big shoota
    1 killa kan, big shoota
    1 killa kan, big shoota

Last edited by jh316; July 29th, 2008 at 12:02.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're gonna use kans, take advantage of their BS 3 and give 'em either a KMB or rokkits, something you need accuracy on. On a dread, I like skorchas. His pathetic BS 2 makes the big shoota not as good as when you have 3 in one boyz mob. I'm a big proponent of the lotted wagon with boomgun, however, I like mine with the boomgun, 'ard case and reinforced ram. With new vehicle rules, you'll want to move that sucker into cover, and the big shoota is basically never gonna fire.

Otherwise, looks pretty decent. You might wanna bump up the mob size, but I just have a preference for 'uge mobz...

Also, no reason to put big shootas in slugga squads, they're gonna be running all day anyways, so you're wasting some points there.
    Last edited by crazyrpger; July 29th, 2008 at 18:46. Reason: forgot somefing...
    I'm trying to catalog every song with a reference to yetis or Sasquatch. Please help.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

I think you'll find that you have a huge problem against any lists with an moderate amount of vehicles. The lack of rokkit launchas is a real killer, and you can only rely on Power Klaws so much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, but no one really uses vehicles at the shop I go to, except for some of the Tau players which use a couple of Devilfish, and one of the SM players that use a land raider and then almost nothing else but terminators. And thanks for the suggestion of dropping the slugga's shootas, That's enough to give one of the kans a kustom mega blasta, dunno where I'd get the other 40 points. Not really willing to drop any more deffkoptas for it, I'll get 6 from two Reach sets so I'd like to use as many as possible to fill out my points with.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

5 or nothing

If you're not going to use 5 deffkoptas, I wouldn't use them at all. In squads of 4 or less, a single casualty will send them running. I used to field them alone, with one kopta per squad, but with 5th edition rules this doesn't work very well, since your opponent will get a kill point for each of them. Make him earn those kill points! ^_^

This list really needs more anti-armor. You need to give rokkits to more of those units. You could give them to the deffkoptas or killa kans, although I usually give the kans kustom mega blastas, to get through those pesky 2+ saves.

Units of 5 nobz aren't going to do much for you. I'd only use one warboss and one unit of nobz, but make it a full unit of 10 nobz, complete with a painboy, cybork bodies for all, 2-3 powerklaws, wauughh banner and bosspole. If you don't go all the way and give them the painboy, cybork and wauughh banner, you might as well just use normal boyz. Personally, I prefer meganobz, but if you have the nobz, I'd group 'em into one trukk with a ram, and send the warboss along with them. For added effectiveness, I'd also hold them in reserve. That way, they're guaranteed at least one full move towards the enemy. Nothing's worse than having your nobz/warboss lose their trukk on turn 1.

With 5th edition rules, I'd use full 30 boy units, even if it means fielding less units. Templates and ordnance tend to eat up units fairly quickly, and if you're playing against Tau, that's going to be a problem. The sub-munitions rounds will eat you alive.

As others said, I'd give big shootas to the shoota boyz and no special weapons to the sluggas. It may not seem like much, but when fighting mechanized lists, with a lot of armor 10-11 vehicles, the big shootas make a big difference.

I'm not a big fan of deff dreads. I'd rather use more kans.

Looted boomguns are fun, just don't overspend on the extras. I usually just give them a boomgun, big shoota and nothing else. 'Ard case is nice, but doesn't seem worth 10 points, not for an armor 11 vehicle.

If you're going to use footsloggers, I'd string at least one of the units across the front of the army, so everyone else gets a 4+ cover save. You might also want to consider getting some grotts, specifically for this purpose. A big mek w/KFF also works nice, but you'll need to keep everyone close together.

In any case, good luck!
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll be getting two Warbosses, so I'll use both. They're $15 each normally, so I'd rather use them than spend money buying other units.

But for all the changes you're wanting me to make, it seems like you think this is a 2000 point army. Where am I going to get points for rokkits on everything, bigger ork mobz, grots, painboyz, another kopta, all that?

I mean, let's see here.

Trukk

Trukk

29 sluggas, nob with power klaw and 'eavy armor

29 sluggas, nob with power klaw and 'eavy armor

29 shootas, 3 big shootas, nob with power klaw and 'eavy armor

5 deff koptas with rokkits

3 killa kans with KMBs

That adds up to 1710 points, and that's without painboyz.

If I made it 1 unit of 10 nobz with painboyz and all the stuff you said, then it goes from 1710 to 1635. 1685 if I give them 'eavy armor. And I'd still be wasting one warboss and have to get a painboy. Add on another 80 points (and $50 ) to get 20 grots and 2 runtherds.
    Last edited by jh316; July 29th, 2008 at 22:06.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I've tried to include some suggestions, while keeping it at 1500 points. If you want to suggest changes, please, tell me how to get the points for them.

HQ: Warboss, power klaw, cybork body

Elite: 8 lootas and 1 mek with big shoota (or 9 lootas if 2 boxes come with enough for 9, I'm not sure if it comes with enough for 4 and 1 mek or for any combination of meks and lootas)

Troops: 9 nobz with 1 power klaw, cybork bodies, Waaagh! banner
    Painboy
    Trukk
    Warboss attached

29 sluggas, nob with power klaw, 'eavy armor, bosspole
    29 sluggas, nob with power klaw, 'eavy armor, bosspole

19 shootas, 2 big shootas, nob with power klaw, 'eavy armor, bosspole

Fast attack: 5 deffkoptas with rokkits

Heavy support: Deff dread with 2 skorchas and grot riggers.

Instead of the dread, I might take 3 lobbas and another loota/mek model, which do you think is better? Kans with KMBs are 55 points, I can't really fit any of those in unless I only take 1, unless I take 2 and remove a model in my loota squad. Even still, I just don't feel comfortable on relying on weapons with one shot a turn that aren't blast with BS 3. I don't do it as Guard and I don't see why I'd do it as Orks. At least with Guard I can take sharpshooters with lascannons.

If you think that the AP 2 with a 1/2 chance to hit is that necessary though, I'll take them and drop the mek from the lootas. But then I hear they're very ineffective with under 9 models.
    Last edited by jh316; July 31st, 2008 at 10:42.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Better

The list looks better, but the most pressing issue is that the nobz need a bosspole. They need it more than any other upgrade. Give it to one of the nobz, rather than the warboss.

I'd add another big mek to the unit of lootas. Anything less than 10 lootas isn't really enough.

For the points, I'd remove a single nob from the unit of nobz. This gives you enough points for a loota/big mek, the bosspole, and a ram for the trukk.

With those changes, the list looks fine. Good luck!
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright then, that sounds good. I'm planning to convert the second warboss into a big mek sometime.

+ Reply to Thread