New to Ork, any help appreciated! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to Ork, heres my first list

Was looking to start a new army come this Christmas...and I choose Ork

I'm fairly good at playing Eldar already and somewhat with Chaos...but Ork has a crazy codex lol >.> A lot of the units just scream "WOW that's really iffy" ...well pretty much the whole codex screams that...along with WAAAGH!

Anyone care to show a sample list that would be good for getting started? Or an overview of the most popular/uselful units and not so great ones or some strategies/tactics that I should be aware of?

Thanks. =)

So I tried making my first Ork list with sorta the same concept I build my Eldar lists with...and I wanted to try a non-horde list...bare with me though I know nothing about orks...any help would be awesome =)...'ere we go.

HQ---Warboss---105 points
    Mega Armor, Bosspole

Troop---Meganobz x5---215 points
    x3 Skorcha Kombi-Weapons

Troop---Ork Boyz x20---160
    Nob, Power Klaw, Bosspole

Elite---Lootas x12---180 points

Fast---Stormboyz x15 + x1 Boss Zagstruk---265 points

Fast---Warbuggies x3---105 points
    x3 Twin-linked Rokkit Launchas

Heavy---Battlewagon---145 points
    Zzap Gun, x2 Rokkit Launcha, Red Paint Job, Armor Plates, Grot Riggers

Heavy---Deff Dread---120 points
    x2 Extra Dreadnought Arms, Armor Plates, Grot Riggers

Heavy---Killa Kans x3---135 points
    x3 Rokkit Launchas

So I'm thinkin' the warboss and his meganobz ride in the battlewagon...it charges straight up with the warbuggies and distracts the enemy early on while my stormboyz deep strike and hopefully cause some distraction later (or just kill stuff)...lootas hide in back, boyz footslog probably behind the walkers.

If the enemy has an elite unit with multiple powerweapons I will have to avoid them with my meganobz/stormies...however a unit of powerfists wants to get beat up by zagstruk ..I also have multiple anti-tank weapons, many power klaws/deff dread and 60 boyz; only thing I am worried about are maybe hordes, but I have no clue how to handle horde lists with orks besides well...my own horde. =/ maybe burna boyz? I am iffy on using templates with orks...BS 2=eww

Last edited by LonelyPenguin; August 3rd, 2008 at 00:45. Reason: changin' mah title, adding list
    You make me feel like I have something to believe in!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Not Zatnugg

Oops, you confused me for a second. There's another person on the forum with the same Avatar. I was thinking: what do you mean you're going to start? You've played Orks for a while now...

Anyway, welcome to the Orks! I believe you'll find them to play a little different than the Eldar and Chaos armies, mainly because the orks are far more expendable, and need large numbers to win.

I'd pick up the codex and go from there. There's many ways of building an army, but you'll definitely need at least a good number of basic troops, and grotts don't count. The basic staple is either 12 boyz in a trukk with a nob, powerklaw and bosspole; or you can use 20-30 boyz on foot, with 2-3 special weapons, nob, powerklaw and bosspole. Any good list is going to have at least 3-4 of those units depending on the point level. 500 point games obviously have less, but every good list needs to revolve around the basic boyz.

I'd check out a post I wrote called 'the basics', along with some other people. Go to the main ork page, click on the Ork 2008 index, and look for the basics. There's a lot of great advice there, especially for people new to the game.

Good luck!
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bump.

Edit: Sorryyy >.<
    Last edited by LonelyPenguin; August 3rd, 2008 at 02:12.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by LonelyPenguin View Post
    Bump.

Just a wee word in your ear.

Bumping isn't allowed on LO. So please don't do it again.

Thanks

Karmoon
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Real Zatnugg

Hehe, changed my avatar to help out. Admittedly, I was 1/3 of the way through the post wondering when I posted this thread cause I had no memory of it!

At any rate, only real suggestion I'd make here is to drop Zagstruck and buff up the size of your units to at least 25. Like grax said 20 is very reasonable but one word of caution I would give is that if you play kill points you can sometimes give away freebies to your opponent with lower size units. Pre-5th edition even I was more likely to run 3 units of 20 but now it seems much safer to run 2 units of 30. Either that or just play victory points anyway.... ^.^
    "Orks have to be followers of Nurgle! They're green, smell bad, and just want to spread the fun!"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

I'm Sparticus!

Zatnugg is right, drop Zagstrukk. Deep striking storm boyz eliminates most of the point of using stormboyz. They'll almost certainly be at that spot by turn 2-3 anyway, and they'll be able to assault that turn to boot. Zagstrukk is cripplingly underpowered compared to a nob with a powerklaw and bosspole as well. It seems nice, but if the stormboyz get assaulted (possible, if not likely since they have to deepstrike) or if they get tied up in combat with walkers, you're probably going to lose them all, when a nob would have won them the day. He's the worst character in the ork army, by far.

As for the rest of the army, you really should do this:

Add at least one more model to the loota squad. Units of 13 need to take 5 casualties before making a leadership save, instead of 4, and with lootas that's a big deal. If you don't have a loota model, just include a mek with a big shoota (you can use a regular big shoota model for this).

Are the units of boyz slugga or shoota? If they're slugga, I'd field 2 units of 30 instead of 3 of 20. You want more numbers so they last longer in close combat, and are able to survive a turn in rapid fire range of the enemy. If you're using shootas, you can keep them in three units, but give each of them 2 big shootas. They make a big difference against gunline armies (ones that sit and shoot from far away) and armies that have a lot of small vehicles.

The warboss needs a cybork body. Always give independent characters cybork bodies, or power weapons will almost certainly kill them the first turn of combat.

You need to drop most of the guns off the battlewagon. If you move it a single inch or more, you're only going to be able to fire one of them, so that's what I'd use, only one gun. I'd use either a rokkit or big shoota. The zzzap can also work, but with BS 2 it doesn't seem worth the points, and rokkits are more powerful, on average.

You could also do what I do, and put the meganobz and warboss in a trukk with a ram,
    and keep them in reserve. That way they're guaranteed to get at least one full 12-18in move towards the enemy. Even if it gets blown up after that, you'll probably be close to the enemy. Battlewagons also work, but they're expensive.

Similarly, you should drop most of the upgrades off the dread. Armor 12 vehicles shouldn't get armor plates since they're relatively easy to destroy. The only exception I'd make is if it was a transport, and it's not. I wouldn't use the extra close combat weapons either. The dread won't be that much better than usual with them, and they cost a whopping 30 points (that's a lot in the ork army, where almost everything is expendable). Instead, you should give either give him big shootas or scorchas. He'll still be powerful in close combat, and you'll be able to shoot with him as well. The grot riggers are fine though.

It comes down to personal taste, but I always give killa kans kustom mega blastas, to make sure there's something in my army that can shoot through 2+ armor saves. They're admittedly expensive, but I think they're worth it.

Good luck with the army!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sweet, thanks for the help and sorry about the avatar mix up lol >.>

I'm wondering about the Stormboyz though, how exactly do I use them? just move up as far as possible, try to keep 'em in cover, and hope they don't die? =/

Also, should I even try to worry about anti-tank options? It seems like with a BS 2 all my efforts to dish out some damage on vehicles would be none but futile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I havent' read the new codex, but tankbustas are awesome at removing tanks - making a melee attack rather than a ranged against vehicles hope this helps

//doesn't play orks at all lol

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

Well...

Quote Originally Posted by LonelyPenguin View Post
    sweet, thanks for the help and sorry about the avatar mix up lol >.>

I'm wondering about the Stormboyz though, how exactly do I use them? just move up as far as possible, try to keep 'em in cover, and hope they don't die? =/

Also, should I even try to worry about anti-tank options? It seems like with a BS 2 all my efforts to dish out some damage on vehicles would be none but futile.
    Yeah, that's pretty much it. Storm boyz tend to take a lot of casualties when they're not in close combat. Just be sure to not move into cover with their normal move, or else they're going to take a dangerous terrain test. You could land them next to terrain, and then use 'run' to get them inside. I usually just rush forward as fast as possible. It's up to you.

I love tankbustas, but I wouldn't use them unless they had a transport. They don't last long on foot, and it helps get them within range of vehicles. If you need to free up a heavy slot, you could just give the battlewagon to the nobz directly, as a dedicated transport.

Lootas and rokkit buggies are good anti-armor, or at least as good as the orks get. The sheer number of shots of the lootas and the twin-linked rokkits of the warbuggies help make sure they hit. Besides them, tankbustas in a transport, and units with powerklaws in vehicles or bikes (boys in trukks, warbikes and such) are the best anti-armor the orks have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To storm or not to storm?

Even after having used stormboyz I can't decide how I feel about them. They're really expensive but if used correctly you can maybe get some easy kills or at least tie up something dangerous long enough to get the rest of your army there.

If nothing else the models, once converted using the pack GW provides, look really cool! ^.^
    "Orks have to be followers of Nurgle! They're green, smell bad, and just want to spread the fun!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast