[5th] Competitive 1500 pts - critique please! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[5th] Competitive 1500 pts - critique please!

I recently got back into 40k after having not played, or even seen, a game since 3rd. I picked up the $50 book + Eldar codex last week and have been trolling various boards trying to gain some understanding of the major changes. The shop near me has a 1500 point tournament on the last Saturday of every month, so I thought I'd put together an army and join in. I'm not used to fielding troops (was a Beil Tan player back in the day) so I have a feeling that this is a troops-light list.

Let my meager list and me have it - tear us to shreds!

---------------------------------------------------------
    HQ: 2 Squads, total = 410
    - Farseer = 120
    Doom
    Guide
    Spiritstone
    - 4 X Warlock = 135
    2 Destructor
    1 Enhance

Troops: 2 squads, total = 262
    - 10 X Direavenger = 142
    1 X Exarch
    Diresword + Pistol
    - 5 X Pathfinder 120

Elites: 2 squads + 2 transports, total = 518
    - 10 X Howling Banshee = 302
    1 X Exarch
    Executioner
    Wave serpent
    Twin linked EML
    - 6 X Firedragon = 216
    Wave serpent
    Twin linked EML

Heavy support: 2 units, total = 310
    - Wraithlord
    2 X Flamer
    Brightlance
    EML
    - Wraithlord
    2 X Flamer
    Brightlance
    EML
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Total: 1500 points on the nose.

(Specific unit points removed ~Rabbit)

My theory-craft strategy is as follows: Farseer + body guard deply between the two Wraithlords in order to compensate for their wraithsight. Dire Avengers deploy in front the Wraithlords and about even with the Avatar. Waves Serpents on the flanks. Pathfinders deploy in the open, then at the end of deployment move to cover (hopefully drawing bad deployment from the opponent).

Dire Avengers move toward objective along with Avatar, followed by Farseer + bodyguard and Wraithlords. Farseer with guide/doom for avengers or Wraithlord, depending on situation. Wraithlords pelt enemy armor and/or work with Pathfinders to pin enemy troops. Wave Serpents move around flanks, dropping dragons to eliminate heavy targets or taking out Terminators/etc. with banshees.

Avengers can sit on a point with the Avatar (for counter-attack help), or the Farseer + bodyguard can, allowing the rest of the army to deny capture points to the enemy.

From briefly observing the armies in the last tournament it looked like there were one or two Marines, a Tyranid, and some army I'd never seen before (maybe demons?).

Let me know what you think!

Last edited by Rabbit; August 16th, 2008 at 06:05.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

This thread belongs in the Eldar army list section. Also, it's copyright infringement to list individual point costs for models. It's best just to list the squad's total point value.

*thread moved to army list section*

*point costs removed*
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoops, sorry. My only excuse is that I'm a nub!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by bob1st View Post
    Whoops, sorry. My only excuse is that I'm a nub!
    No worries. It gives me something to do
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like the list however you have one slight problem..... It's a lot more than 1500 points. I make it nearer 1900. I love the idea of all them banshees, although i also think harlequins would be a lot more devestating.

Always good to see people return to the game!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eldar2008 View Post
    I really like the list however you have one slight problem..... It's a lot more than 1500 points. I make it nearer 1900. I love the idea of all them banshees, although i also think harlequins would be a lot more devestating.

Always good to see people return to the game!

It sorta looks like that now that I take a second gander. The points after the "total =" for each set of units is the total for all of them, so 410+262+518+310=1500.

You would swap harlequins for the banshees? Just because they're more survivable or? Would you still take the serpent for them?

Monkey Pirate Greenbeard The Ex-pirate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Harliquins can't take a Wave serpant, what you can do though is buy a wave serpent for another squad (dire avengers guardians doesn't matter) and jitney them around in that.
    Right so your fairly solid on being able to handle marines, I think your going to run into trouble though against tyranids orks and the like. All of your ranged weaponry is focusing on anti tank. Especially against Marines your wraithlords are going to be taking a heavy amount of lascannon/missile launcher fire so its going to important to keep them in cover as much as possible. Also I would consider fortune on the farseer so you can help keep those boys alive, mainly because as I'm looking at it now once they go down everything else is going to crumble. Fire dragons and banshees are fantastic at wrestling control of objectives from people but they don't have a whole lot of staying power, so if they are counterattacked, say by a mob of gaunts, or a dreadnought your fight is going to be looking grim.
    I don't have my codex here so I can't suggest anything specific but one thing you could do is drop the wave serpent on the fire dragons, and stick them in a falcon armed with a scatter laser . You will still have your mobility along with the fire power to handle vehicles and infantry as well
    Rheagar fought nobly
    Rheagar fought valiantly
    Rheagar fought honorably
    And Rheagar died.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard The Ex-pirate View Post
    Harliquins can't take a Wave serpant, what you can do though is buy a wave serpent for another squad (dire avengers guardians doesn't matter) and jitney them around in that.
    Right so your fairly solid on being able to handle marines, I think your going to run into trouble though against tyranids orks and the like. All of your ranged weaponry is focusing on anti tank. Especially against Marines your wraithlords are going to be taking a heavy amount of lascannon/missile launcher fire so its going to important to keep them in cover as much as possible. Also I would consider fortune on the farseer so you can help keep those boys alive, mainly because as I'm looking at it now once they go down everything else is going to crumble. Fire dragons and banshees are fantastic at wrestling control of objectives from people but they don't have a whole lot of staying power, so if they are counterattacked, say by a mob of gaunts, or a dreadnought your fight is going to be looking grim.
    I don't have my codex here so I can't suggest anything specific but one thing you could do is drop the wave serpent on the fire dragons, and stick them in a falcon armed with a scatter laser . You will still have your mobility along with the fire power to handle vehicles and infantry as well
    Makes sense. I'm retooling the list now actually, I've added a second squad of Avengers, thinking of dropping banshees and serpent for Harlequins. Trying to fit in Warp Spiders for vs. light infantry also, so may be dropping dragons.

My plan versus tyranids/orks was to use my 4 missle launchers in plasma mode (S4 AP4 Heavy 1, Blast, Pinning) and the 4 X flamers. Now I'll also have a second squad of Avengers and spiders. I'll put the list up when I'm done with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reason i'd go for the Harlequins is purely as there isn't much that they can't take down. Include a shadowseer in the squad and they can run across the board and (fingers crossed) avoid gun fire. By the time anything is going to start spotting them they should be just about ready to pounce.....

When it comes to hoard armies i find the best thing that any eldar army can take is a team of war walkers armed with scatter lasers. Not only can they take down marines due the sheer amount of gun fire (8 shots each), but against lightly armoured units like orks, nids and guard, they can be devestating. You could lose one of the wraithlords and have them in place...... Get the farseer to cast guide on them every turn and they become even more deadly. Speaking of which, save some points and drop the warlocks. You can use the points to chuck in some speed, like a couple of vypers, or another squad to hold on the objectives like guardians, again armed with a scatter laser.

Youre choice buddy, but that's where i'd go with this army.

+ Reply to Thread