1850 Conceptual list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

1850 Conceptual list

I haven't picked up the book yet but I was thinking about starting Orks with the release of Blackreach. Here's roughly what I'm thinking about. I don't have the points so it will probably change, but I wanted to see what you all thought about my initial assessment. I want to be mostly mechanized I think.

HQ:

Big Mek - Kustom Force Field, PK

Warboss - Cybork, PK, KMB

ELITES:

Lootas x 15
    -3 are Meks

TROOPS:

15 Boyz
    -Nob w/ PK, 'eavy Armor
    -Trukk w/ Ram, shoota (or cheapest weapon available)

15 Boyz
    -Nob w/ PK, 'eavy Armor
    -Trukk w/ Ram, shoota (or cheapest weapon available)

15 Boyz
    -Nob w/ PK, 'eavy Armor

FAST ATTACK:

Deffkoptas x 3
    -Rokkits

Deffkoptas x 3
    -Rokkits

HEAVY SUPPORT:

Killa Kanz x 2
    -Grotzookas
    -Grot riggers

Killa Kanz x 2
    -Grotzookas
    -Grot riggers

Battlewagon
    -Deff Rolla
    -Armor plates

I'm not sure about how many points that is. If I'm under (which I doubt), then I'll add another squad of Boyz (or Nobz) in a Trukk.

The basic idea is this:

Big Mek + squad of boyz are put into a battlewagon (I'm assuming that the KFF gives vehicles a cover save as well), the Kanz stick close to the BW. Warboss will join one of the Trukk boyz, and all Trukks will start behind cover then gun it over to the enemy lines to get stuck in. Deffkoptas are the main source of anti-tank in this list, though I may have to change that if they die too easily. Killa Kanz are there to shoot at large groups of troops to thin down their numbers until the trukks arrive.

Currently Playing:
    Fantasy: Daemons (Angels), 40k: Black Templars

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Read the book

The first step is to get the book, and then look over the list.

The warboss can't take a kustom mega blasta, only 12 boyz can fit in each trukk, and since the killa kans are vehicle squadrons, there's no point in giving them grot riggers. As with all vehicle squadrons, the moment one of them is immobilized, it's counted as destroyed. This means they can't use grot riggers, because they'll never be immobilized during your own shooting phase.

Some general tips I can give right off the bat is to increase the trukkless unit of boyz up to 20, and 30 would be better...unless you're planning to put them in the battlewagon. In that case, keep them at 20.

I'd give each unit of boyz a bosspole. It does wonders for keeping them in the battle. Also, always put them on the nob in the unit, and not a character attached to the unit. That way you won't lose the bosspole before you need it.

Units of 3 deffkoptas seems like a bad idea to me. One casualty will force a panic check, and they only have a 58% chance of making it. Instead, I'd run a unit of 5 deffkoptas, and a second unit of only a single deffkopta.

Never give big meks any close combat weapons. They're pretty easy to single out and kill, so they'll almost certainly never get to use that powerklaw. Instead, I'd just try and keep him out of close combat. No matter what you do, if they're in close combat, then they're dead. Where are you attaching him, by the way? The lootas are the only good choice, and in that case, I'd give him a bosspole. Yes, I normally wouldn't put it on the character, but the lootas can't take a bosspole on their own, so this is a good way of getting one into the unit.

Instead of all the special troops, like battlewagons, killa kans, deffkoptas, units of 15 lootas, and warbosses, I'd add another troop choice or two first. In 5th edition, your list needs at least 4 strong troop choices in order to win objective based missions. If you're planning to use the warboss, you could always use nobz. That's a good choice. I'm not saying the other troops are bad (in fact, they're all great), but you need to take care of the basic necessities before you can move on the more specialized troops.

In any case, good luck!
    Last edited by mynameisgrax; August 22nd, 2008 at 17:15. Reason: forgot one thing
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Thanks for the advice Grax! I can see the wisdom behind a lot of your suggestions. Here's some modifications, what do you think?

HQ:

Warboss (With the Meganobz in Battlewagon)
    -Mega Armor
    -Cybork body

Big Mek (With the Lootas)
    -Kustom Force Field
    -Kustom Mega-Blasta

ELITES:

Lootas x 15

Kommandos
    -Nob w/ Power klaw, bosspole, 'eavy armor

TROOPS:

Meganobz
    x 5 (In Battlewagon)

Ork Boyz x 12
    -Nob w/ Power Klaw, Boss Pole, 'eavy armor
    -Trukk w/ Ram

Ork Boyz x 12
    -Trukk w/ Ram

Ork Boyz
    -Trukk w/ Ram

Ork Boyz
    -Trukk w/ Ram

FAST ATTACK:

Deffkoptas x 5
    -Twin-linked rokkits

Deffkopta x 1
    -Twin-linked rokkit

HEAVY SUPPORT:

Battlewagon

-Deff Rolla
    -'ard case
    -armour plates
    -kannon
    -Big shoota x 4
    -Stikkbomb chukka

Comments, crits, bring them on!
    Last edited by spaar; August 26th, 2008 at 16:36.
    Currently Playing:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im sure the mek cant have a KFF and a KMB since he sacrifices a ranged attack to use the KFF...right?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Almost there...

I keep forgetting if a big mek can have a gun if he has a KFF. Anyway, if he can, then I wouldn't give him the KMB. Instead, I'd give him a burna, in case your opponent gets one of his units up close. Just keep him in a spot where he's facing the enemy, and has room to drop the template, if he has to. A big shoota would also work well, but I forget was his options are (I usually run him with just the KFF or an SAG, nothing else).

Anyway, the list is definitely almost there. There's just three VERY important things you need to do:

1. The warboss in mega armor needs a bosspole. Trust me, the unit will be a lot less effective if they don't have one. With a leadership score of only 8, it's very possible to roll poorly one round, lose close combat, and run away. The bosspole effectively raises the unit's leadership by 2, from 8 to 10. Also, they're almost certainly going to pass the armor save.

2. The kommandos need special weapons. That's half the point of kommandos. I'd give them 2 burnas if you intend to use them in close combat, but rokkits and big shootas can also work. Always take two.

3. It's vitally important that you take the 'ard case off the battlewagon. If there's an 'ard case on it, then the meganobz won't be able to assault the turn they leave it!

Otherwise, the list looks really good. Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Hmm, I understand what you're saying. I'll drop the 'ard case and that will get me enough points for the Burna & Bosspole on my HQs.

Now, I need to find 15 more points to pay for some rokkits on the Kommandos. Perhaps I should drop the 'eavy armor from the Trukk nobz? I'm hesitant to do that because they will need to survive long enough to use the power klaw.
    Currently Playing:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

1 Inch movement = 1 gun fired

I forgot to mention, there's no point in giving the battlewagon more than 1 gun. In 5th edition, only guns with strength 4 or less are considered defensive, and since orks don't have an option with strength that low, I never give any ork vehicles more than 2 guns, and you probably only need 1.

As long as you move a single inch, you can only fire one of those guns, and since it's going to be a transport, it's safe to assume it'll always be moving. Instead of cutting the 'eavy armor, I'd cut 3-4 guns off the battlewagon. Unless it's standing motionless for the entire game, they aren't worth it.

You don't need a stikkbomb chukka either. All that does is allow you and your opponent to attack at the same initiative when you're assaulting into cover. Since you're using powerklaws, you go last anyway. The stikkbomb chukka is literally doing nothing for you.

Instead, the battlewagon could use grot riggers. They're cheap, and every turn they give your immobilized vehicle a 50/50 chance of becoming mobile again (you check during the shooting phase).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisgrax View Post
    I forgot to mention, there's no point in giving the battlewagon more than 1 gun. In 5th edition, only guns with strength 4 or less are considered defensive, and since orks don't have an option with strength that low, I never give any ork vehicles more than 2 guns, and you probably only need 1.

As long as you move a single inch, you can only fire one of those guns, and since it's going to be a transport, it's safe to assume it'll always be moving. Instead of cutting the 'eavy armor, I'd cut 3-4 guns off the battlewagon. Unless it's standing motionless for the entire game, they aren't worth it.

My initial plan with the Battletank was that it was going to remain motionless for the first 2-3 turns and lay waste to squads of troops. It would be near the KFF in order to receive a little more attention. After the 2-3 turns, it would race up and unload the Meganobz to clean up whatever is needed, then the Nobz would sit on an objective. Still, I guess the Kannon in and of itself is more than capable of accomplishing this. I guess that I'll leave just 1 big shoota on there in case the Kannon gets blown off.

You don't need a stikkbomb chukka either. All that does is allow you and your opponent to attack at the same initiative when you're assaulting into cover. Since you're using powerklaws, you go last anyway. The stikkbomb chukka is literally doing nothing for you.

Plus, I have a group of Meganobz inside the BW, and I just looked at the rules and they already have stikkbombs... upgrade removed.

Instead, the battlewagon could use grot riggers. They're cheap, and every turn they give your immobilized vehicle a 50/50 chance of becoming mobile again (you check during the shooting phase).

Forgot all about the Grot Riggers! Stikkbomb chukka exchanged for them!
    So, with those adjustments, here is the list!

HQ:

Warboss (With the Meganobz in Battlewagon)
    -Mega Armor
    -Cybork body

Big Mek (With the Lootas)
    -Kustom Force Field
    -Kustom Mega-Blasta

ELITES:

Lootas x 15

Kommandos
    -Nob w/ Power klaw, bosspole, 'eavy armor
    - 2 x Rokkit Launchas

TROOPS:

Meganobz
    x 5 (In Battlewagon)

Ork Boyz x 12
    -Trukk w/ Ram

Ork Boyz x 12
    -Trukk w/ Ram

Ork Boyz
    -Trukk w/ Ram

Ork Boyz
    -Trukk w/ Ram

FAST ATTACK:

Deffkoptas x 5
    -Twin-linked rokkits

Deffkopta x 1
    -Twin-linked rokkit

HEAVY SUPPORT:

Battlewagon

-Deff Rolla
    -armour plates
    -kannon
    -Big shoota x 1
    -Grot Riggers

I keep on coming up with 10 extra points somewhere... I'll have to keep on checking my math, but if I'm right then I'll just buy another Kommando.
    Currently Playing:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

Not bad at all, but instead of using a battlewagon, why not put the meganobz in a trukk and then simply hold them in reserve? The shooting from the battlewagon won't be that significant until then, and if it gets blown up, the meganobz are stuck in your own deployment zone, more or less the worst place they can be. Even if you like them in the battlewagon, I'd consider holding it in reserve rather than sitting it in your deployment zone, at least when fighting opponents with good anti-armor guns.

I wouldn't give the big mek a kustom mega blasta. It's too expensive considering he only has a BS of 2. I'd just stick with a slugga and choppa.

It's vitally important that you give the warboss in mega armor a bosspole. That's most of the point of attaching a warboss to meganobz. Without one, they'll be running off the table fairly quickly, and you only have to pass a 2+ armor check when using it to re-roll a morale check. Bosspoles are always a must have for every type of nob. I can't think of an ork unit that needs them more. I'd also give a bosspole to the big mek, so the lootas have one as well. Point for point, it's the best non-weapon upgrade in the ork army.

Otherwise, the list looks really good! Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Ah, that's where the other points went! I guess I must have copied & pasted the wrong list... whoops.

The Warboss is supposed to have a bosspole.

The Mek is supposed to have a burna.

I guess that even though the Battlewagon is Armor 14, it is open topped... so perhaps it's not as survivable as I think it is.

Playtesting will tell. I did leave the Meganobz + Warboss at 6 on purpose so that they wouldn't be restricted to just the BW.

Thanks for all the input Grax! Thanks for keeping this section of the forum alive as well...
    Currently Playing:

+ Reply to Thread