Librarium Online Forums banner

List for upcoming tournament

1K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Ravenscraig 
#1 ·
If I take less than 600 points in troops I lose 5% of my score for the tournament.

Shas'el 127
- plasma rifle, missile pod, multitracker, stims, 2 shield drones
Bodyguard 97
- plasma rifle, missile pod, multitracker, shield drone

3 Crisis 161
- twin missile, targeting array
- twin missile, flamer
- twin flamer, 2 shield drones

4 Stealths 165
- team leader, markerlight, marker drone

9 Fire Warriors 100
- shas'ui

6 Fire Warriors in Devilfish 145
- carbines
- disruption pod

6 Fire Warriors in Devilfish 145
- carbines
- disruption pod

10 Kroot 70
10 Kroot 70
10 Kroot 70

Hammerhead 155
- railgun, burst cannons, disruption pod

2 Broadsides 195
- ASS, team leader, 2 shield drones

1500 points

What do you think? Is it a solid list?

See less See more
#2 ·
I still would have preferred your stealth team leader having a hard wired multitracker, but I'm not quite sure what you would have done with the extra 5pts... though you could give the hammerhead a target lock, although you'd pray that no infantry ever got that close if they did at least you could spread out your shots and still take down a tank.

#3 ·
Great to see you back with another interesting list.
Before I comment on the list could you give us some thoughts behind some of the unit choices.

I am a bit puzzled by the 6 man FW squads, are they minimised just so you can take the DF? And why Carbines?

How are you going to use the Kroot?

What is going on with the XV8 team with the flamers and MP's? They seem an odd choice of weaponry to me.

Why do you think the Shield Drones on the XV8 unit are a good idea?

I do not want to comment on the list using assumptions.

One thing that strikes me immediately is the fact that you do not have a TL on your Stealth's team leader, this would make the unit much more useful and allow a bit more flexibility in marker lighting.

#4 · (Edited)
Ok I have a spare 10pts which I used for stims unless I completely rework the list.

Hmm I thought paying 60pts for a scoring devilfish would be a good idea in 5th edition. It's a 145pt sink that does nothing but score. I chose carbines because if I did shoot with the fire warriors, I want to be about 18" away instead of about 12" away, because either way I'm not doing enough damage to kill a squad (even with double the shots).

The kroot's first job is make it impossible to assault my broadsides, and second job is make it impossible to assault my suits. If I'm facing a shooty army then they're not needed, I may outflank to assault but I may instead outflank so they can't be shot for a couple of turns, then try and score objectives with them.

I would rather take nothing than take flamers. What do you think of this instead?

2 Crisis 111
- twinlinked missile pod, targeting array
- twinlinked missile pod, shield drone

I save 50 points, but the unit now relies more on LOS blocking cover, something that is lacking in 5th edition.

That's why the shield drones in the first place, I don't think I'll be able to hide the crisis.

I could also drop 2 shield drones and stims on the HQ:

Shas'el 102
- plasma rifle, missile pod, multitracker, shield drone
Bodyguard 82
- plasma rifle, missile pod, multitracker

I save 30 points.

With that 80 points I could get another elite crisis suit, any ideas?

#6 · (Edited)
I am considering 2 options.

Shas'el - twinlinked plasma rifle, 2 shield drones 110
2 Bodyguard - plasma rifle, missile pod, targeting array, hardwired multitracker 164

2 Crisis - twin missiles, 1 targeting array, 1 shield drone 111

4 Stealths - team leader, markerlight, marker drone 165

Shas'el - plasma rifle, missile pod, multitracker, 2 shield drones 117
2 Bodyguard - plasma rifle, missile pod, targeting array, hardwired multitracker 164

2 Crisis - twin missiles, 1 blacksun filter, 1 shield drone 104

My heavy support is fine, if you have a better suggestion for how to spend 600pts in troops please tell me.

#7 · (Edited)
I really like the 2nd HQ option, tried tested and reliable. You have the option of standing away in whatever cover is available and punishing targets with highly accurate MP fire or moving closer to finish units with Plasma.
The only problem with the Deathrain unit is if the Drone is killed, it means you are testing for fall back and with the usual deployment of DR's this can mean running of the field rather quickly. I know many do not considerr this a problem but it only takes one bad die roll and you have lost a valuable, effective unit. I find a plain two man team is very easy to hide (even with new LOS rules). I am not going to recommend TA's because if you valued em you would have them, I would however recommend a TL and a BS filter (if you are wanting to keep the points down).

You still need to find the points for a target lock on that Stealth team.

I like the use of the Kroot and I know you do not need any advice on how to use them.
I am not so sure about the use for the DF, it just seems a waste of points. I know 140plus points can make a difference but so can having another unit adding firepower. I would just take one to use for transport when needed and use the remaining points to take that added fire power. I really see no reason why you do not combine both 6 man FW squads and take pulse rifles, they can use the DF if needed and FOF is still viable.

As for Troops well two full units of FW's is 260pts ( Shas'Ui), 1 Devilfish is 85pts, 3 Kroot units 210pts, that is 555pts. If you need to find the extra points then take another unit of 6 FW's and just plonk em in cover or use em to protect your XV88's and free up a squad of Kroot to go make a nuisance of themselves.
Would there be a problem with comp in taking 6 troop choices?

These are just some ideas for you to mull over.

If you took what I advise you would have something like this:

Shas'el - plasma rifle, missile pod, multitracker, 1 shield drone 102

2 Crisis
- twin missile, target lock 48pts
- twin missile, Blacksun filter 46pts

4 Stealths 175
- markerlight, DC, marker drone, HW TL (this allows a possible two units to be ML for)

12 Fire Warriors 130
- shas'ui in Devilfish 85pts
- disruption pod

11 Fire Warriors 120
- shas'ui

6 Fire Warriors 60pts

10 Kroot 70
10 Kroot 70
10 Kroot 70

Hammerhead 165
- railgun, burst cannons, disruption pod, multi (cmon dude you need a multi)

2 Broadsides 195
- ASS, team leader, 2 shield drones

1500pts exactly (if I have the points values correct as I am doing this from memory).

If you wanted the second DF then I would consider losing the 2 Drones from the XV88 unit and the 6 FW’s and taking the DF. If you use cover and the Kroot then you should have no real problem keeping the XV88’s safe and the 6 man FW team could be lost with no real impact on efficiency. This is assuming that the DF are counted in the troops allocation that is Anyway these are just ideas so feel free to dismiss them.

One last question would two HQ impact your comp score?

#8 · (Edited)
Two HQ is fine, I just need 600pts in troops. It's not the biggest hit for less than that either, but the point is that people bring nicer lists, and it certainly works. You still get hard lists and good competition, just in my opinion not quite over the top.

(You also can't take 3 of the same named non-troops unit but I'm not in danger of doing that).

I expect my hammerhead to get shaken a lot (woo new damage table), or even immobilised (woo not being able to move over 12"), so I feel that I can save 10pts for the multitracker. Admittedly being able to move 12" turn 1 and random turns where I'm not damage is nice, but I feel it doesn't help my hammerhead survive better, while the shield drones greatly help my crisis suits survive on the tables for this tournament (large LOS-blocking terrain is not on every table).

The reason I don't have target lock on the stealths is again because I won't be using it for the whole game. My stealths are a dedicated untargetable markerlight unit. If I actually use the burst cannons, I'm probably going to want to wipe that squad out (too close for comfort), thus use the markerlights on it. I hope this reason, of all things I have said, makes the most sense, as it's clear you really get use out of a target lock.

11 Fire Warriors - shas'ui, bonded 125
11 Fire Warriors - shas'ui 120
6 Fire Warriors in Devilfish - carbines, disruption pod 145
10 Kroot 70
10 Kroot 70
10 Kroot 70

Hammerhead - railgun, burst cannons, disruption pod 155
2 Broadsides - ASS, team leader, 2 shield drones 195

1500 points

#9 ·
Two HQ is fine, I just need 600pts in troops. It's not the biggest hit for less than that either, but the point is that people bring nicer lists, and it certainly works. You still get hard lists and good competition, just in my opinion not quite over the top.

(You also can't take 3 of the same named non-troops unit but I'm not in danger of doing that).

I expect my hammerhead to get shaken a lot (woo new damage table), or even immobilised (woo not being able to move over 12"), so I feel that I can save 10pts for the multitracker. Admittedly being able to move 12" turn 1 and random turns where I'm not damage is nice, but I feel it doesn't help my hammerhead survive better, while the shield drones greatly help my crisis suits survive on the tables for this tournament (large LOS-blocking terrain is not on every table).

The reason I don't have target lock on the stealths is again because I won't be using it for the whole game. My stealths are dedicated untargetable markerlight unit. If I actually use the burst cannons, I'm probably going to want to wipe that squad out (too close for comfort), thus use the markerlights on it. I hope this reason, of all things I have said, makes the most sense, as it's clear you really get use out of a target lock.

11 Fire Warriors - shas'ui, bonded 125
11 Fire Warriors - shas'ui 120
6 Fire Warriors in Devilfish - carbines, disruption pod 145
10 Kroot 70
10 Kroot 70
10 Kroot 70

Hammerhead - railgun, burst cannons, disruption pod 155

1500 points
It is obvious you have a solid strategy worked out for the list and I know that you are a master at the use of non aggressive Stealth use. With this in mind the list seems solid.

I would still lose a Drone from the HQ though and take a multi on the Hammerhead; the mobility is just to valuable. Other than that I like the list, it uses a lot of elements I would never use but we are two very different players.

I would be wary of facing this list as it has a lot different elements that need dealing with and this makes for a very hard to deal with list. You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, anti assault just with the Kroot and you can even take the bigger units of FW's in the DF. The Stealth’s can be used aggressively and infiltrate etc or hang back and ML and contest objectives in the last turn. The heavy also offers real problems for the oppponent.

I think you may well have trouble with the HQ as it is a large unit and will draw fire but be hard to hide, I would consider two HQ (maybe one with a BG) as this will add further to the unit count and make them more survivable. However these are just additional points to consider but the list looks effective.

#11 · (Edited)
Here's my current list minus the two options I am about to give you:

2 Bodyguard 154
- plasma rifle, missile pod, targeting array, hardwired multitracker
- plasma rifle, missile pod, multitracker

10 Kroot 70
10 Kroot 70
10 Kroot 70

Hammerhead - railgun, gun drones, disruption pod 165

1500 points

Here are the two options:

12 Fire Warriors in Devilfish - disruption pod 205
9 Fire Warriors - shas'ui, markerlight, target lock 115
7 Fire Warriors - carbines 70

11 Fire Warriors in Devilfish - disruption pod 195
11 Fire Warriors in Devilfish - disruption pod 195

Which one eh? The tournament isn't using kill points.

#12 ·
Have you considered using two teams of 6 FW,s with Shas'Ui, ML and TL (170pts i believe). With that set up you get 10 FW's (spread throughout the two squads)able to shoot out to 30" and two ML's. I am not sure just how useful the 7 strong FW squad would be. You still have the 3 Kroot squads to take objectives etc. If ML's are a must then I would go for the two 6 man ML units over the first option you listed

On a personal level if the ML is not a priority I would go for the 2 DF option, as it allows for significant mobility and firepower.

Just something for you to consider.

#13 ·
I'm not sure if the markerlight is a good idea. It reduces predictability.

The disadvantage of the second option is in my mind the fact that I have 1 less troop choice.

However I am strongly leaning towards it.

#14 ·
I am a bit puzzled by what you mean by 'reduces predictability’; surely it is better to be less predictable. I am not a fan of ML's on FW's anyway as I find it is at odds with what they are supposed to do. I put the option there because you had the ML equipped FW squad which seemed to indicate you wanted the extra ML support. Personally I would go for the second option as I think it also fits the feel of the list better.
With the Kroot you have five troop choices if you take the two FW units with DF, surely this is enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.