500pt tourny list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

500pt tourny list

ok im trying t make a tourny list that works well at 500 pts, this is what i got so far,

big mek, bosspole

x30 shoota boyz, x3 big shootas, nob, pk, bosspole

x11 lootas

x16 grots, runtherder

total-498

mek joins lootas and grots sit in front of them. shoota boyz advance to go for objectives. thoughts?

Chaos W/D/L 48/12/18 almost retired
    Orks W/D/L 13/0/0 Still going strong
    Space Marins in the making (Salamanders)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Evil smile

Lootas in 500 point games? I like it. ^_^

Instead of putting the grotts in front of the lootas, I'd just start the lootas and big mek in cover. The grotts should march in front of the boyz, to give them a cover save, and absorb the first assault.

Otherwise I really like the list. The unit sizes and setups are fine. Go for it.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

I'd be worried about your anti-tank; so far as I recall, Lootaz aren't very solid at shooting tanks, and a single Power Klaw will find itself stretched a bit when encountering vehicles. I'd say get some Rokkits in there, personally. You'd be surprised how many vehicles you'll see at a low level points game (especially from armies such as Tau, Eldar, etc.).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Nemesis View Post
    I'd be worried about your anti-tank; so far as I recall, Lootaz aren't very solid at shooting tanks, and a single Power Klaw will find itself stretched a bit when encountering vehicles. I'd say get some Rokkits in there, personally. You'd be surprised how many vehicles you'll see at a low level points game (especially from armies such as Tau, Eldar, etc.).
    Lootas are the best anti-armor unit orks have. 11 lootas put out 22 shots on average, which is 7 hits with strength 7, which is going to inflict 2 or more damage results on almost any vehicle, especially ones with armor 11 or lower. No other ork unit comes even close to Lootas when it comes to shooting vehicles.

Yes, they aren't good against armor 14, but no gun in the ork army is. Besides, how many armor 14 vehicles is he going to fight in 500 point games? Stick with the lootas, it's not only one of the best units in the ork army, but one of the best in all of 40k.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisgrax View Post
    Yes, they aren't good against armor 14, but no gun in the ork army is. Besides, how many armor 14 vehicles is he going to fight in 500 point games? Stick with the lootas, it's not only one of the best units in the ork army, but one of the best in all of 40k.
    Really depends on who he's facing. If he faces Imperial Guard, I'd think he'd see at least one Leman Russ. A mean and min/maxing Space Marine player? Land Raider. Even AV13 you'll have plenty of trouble against, especially when it comes from Tau and their Disruption Pods providing 4+ cover saves.

I didn't once even suggest dropping the Lootas, though I don't see them as one of the best units in all of 40k; many, many units can claim that title, and it's typically players of those armies who think that of them. They're solid, sure, but only in the context of the Ork army list.

Nonetheless, the list is still lacking in anti-tank capability. A Leman Russ would absolutely ruin your day, and as this is a tourney list, that's always something to keep in mind. If you even run into a single AV14 vehicle, you have the potential to go splat and that has the potential of ruining a tourney run. Just something to consider.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

Then he's lucky

I don't care how far they min/max, I can't see a possible way of including a land raider in a 500 point game. That only leaves around 275 points for a marine HQ and 2 troop choices. I don't have the marine codex, so I might be wrong, but I can't imagine anyone being able to include anything viable along with that raider.

With the Imperial Guard it's more possible, with 1 HQ, 1 Troop platoon and 1 Conscript platoon costing 280 points, and a leman russ costing 160. That leaves some points for extras, although not much.

If he does wind up facing one of these armor 14 vehicles, he shouldn't have any problem at all. The rest of the list will be positively barren, allowing his forces to easily wipe out everything besides the tanks. That way he'll win by either kill points or objective catching.

Besides, what else could he use for anti-armor shooting in a 500 point list? Are 3 rokkit/kannon shots a turn going to be taking down many Leman Russes or Land raiders? Not likely, and the orks simply don't have any other options for shooting. 3 rokkit shots fired from killa kans would result in 1.5 hits, and cost about the same as the lootas, which have 7 hits on average. 3 twin linked rokkit buggies would have 2 hits, but that's still way behind 7.

What he could do is field 5-6 warbikes with a nob, powerklaw and bosspole (expensive in 500 point games though), or a unit of trukkboyz with a nob, powerklaw and bosspole. The trukkboyz might work well, but the lootas would be far more consistent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

well i found out we arre only using 4' by 3' boards so that will help,
    here is a revised list, thoughts on it.

x15 orks, shootas, nob, pk, bosspole

x15 orks, shootas, x1 big shoota, pk , bosspole

x7 lootas

x6 lootas

big mek, bsspole

both lootas sit in the back in cover and pick on units or vehicles, the big mek will join one of the squads. the two ork units will run up picking off stuff the lootas wont kill. thoughts on the new list? im debating if this squad set up will work. ill be mostly facing other orks and space marines some eldar and maybe a few others.

i was also thinking of just having a squad of 10 lootas and throwing in a deffkopta with twin rokkits. thoughts on the rokkits?
    Last edited by Stinger989; September 6th, 2008 at 01:13.
    Chaos W/D/L 48/12/18 almost retired
    Orks W/D/L 13/0/0 Still going strong
    Space Marins in the making (Salamanders)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

Hmm...

I actually prefer your first list, although the second one can work too. I wouldn't use loota squads that small though. They'll probably be picked off early. I like the two units of orks, rather than one, but here's how I'd do it:

Big mek

9 Lootas

20 shoota boyz w/nob, powerklaw, bosspole

20 shoota boyz w/nob, powerklaw, bosspole, 1 big shoota

Those units will have a lot more survivability, and will still be quite effective. I'd put the big mek with the lootas, just to give them a better leadership score, and a little more close combat power. In any case, good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisgrax View Post
    I don't care how far they min/max, I can't see a possible way of including a land raider in a 500 point game. That only leaves around 275 points for a marine HQ and 2 troop choices. I don't have the marine codex, so I might be wrong, but I can't imagine anyone being able to include anything viable along with that raider.
    A Marine Captain with a power weapon (75), two 5-man Scout squads (65 each), and a Land Raider Crusader (265) only runs about 470 points. Sure, it's not the most tactically sound in terms of objective capturing, but certainly possible and would be a very big nuisance to this army (especially if the player were able to hide his infiltrating Scouts from the Orks).

If he does wind up facing one of these armor 14 vehicles, he shouldn't have any problem at all. The rest of the list will be positively barren, allowing his forces to easily wipe out everything besides the tanks. That way he'll win by either kill points or objective catching.
    Imperial Guard, the list won't be very barren at all actually. A Land Raider list, true, but again if the player is at all able to hide his units effectively enough to let the AV14 beast do its damage, I wouldn't foresee a gigantic problem. Again, this is just a hypothetical situation, and I'm just pointing out that if any AV14 is encountered (and even to a degree AV13, due to the glancing gimp), the list will have a bit of trouble. I still say give it a go and see what you think.

If you really want me to design an Imperial Guard list including a Leman Russ, just ask. I can do the same for Tau with a Hammerhead, too.

To the OP - I definitely agree that your first list looks better. More models on the table means more trouble for your opponents, and in most cases you'll be focus-firing with your Lootas anyway. I prefer the first, and the second one is similar enough in nature to not really be that big of a change, beyond a couple simple things.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

Tu che

True, but I was going by the new Space Marine codex, where scout teams are no longer a troop choice. There's probably a way you can do it, but it wouldn't be hard to destroy everything else besides the Land Raider and after that you'd be fine. The other problem with a list like that is that Land Raiders just don't put out nearly enough damage to be able to revolve an army around them (although the new one with the flamer template weapon might be able to do it, I'm not sure yet).

I see what you mean about IG, a 500 point army with a Leman Russ would be okay. It wouldn't be balanced at all, but it could definitely work. Personally, I'd rather have a hellhound, to free up some points.

I still think lootas are the way to go for anti-armor in the ork army. They might not seem great as anti-armor if you compare them to Lascannons, but it's the best the orks got, and it works well as anti-infantry as well.
    Last edited by mynameisgrax; September 7th, 2008 at 04:13. Reason: forgot one thing

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast