2500 point 'Ard Boyz list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

2500 point 'Ard Boyz list

No, there are no 'ard boyz in the list, it's a list for the upcoming official 'ard boyz tournament. I completely forgot about it. I thought about playing a competitive slogger/speed mix, but I decided to play something a little more fun instead. Win or lose, I want to have a good time, and moving 150 models up 6 inches every turn isn't fun. Here's what I have planned:

HQ

Warboss on bike w/powerklaw, cybork [135]

Warboss in mega armor w/cybork, bosspole [115]

ELITE

13 Lootas [195]

13 Lootas [195]

15 Kommandos w/2 burnas, nob, powerklaw, bosspole, 'eavy armor for nob [225]

TROOP

20 Slugga boyz w/nob, 'eavy armor for nob, powerklaw, bosspole [165]

7 Nob bikers w/3 pk, painboy, cybork, waugh banner, bosspole, scorcha, big choppa [485]

4 Meganobz w/red trukk, ram, 1 combi-scorcha [210]

16 grotts w/runtherd [58]

FAST

2 Rokkit buggies [70]

HEAVY

Battlewagon w/big shoota, grot riggers, ram [105]

Kill Points: 16

I'm putting the units of 20 boyz into the battlewagons, and starting the kommandos, biker nobz and meganobz all in reserve (the appropriate warbosses will be attached to each group of nobz). I've found that holding the nobz back is usually a good idea, since it keeps them from being shot too much, and it guarantees them at least one full move towards the enemy. Also, the enemy is usually a lot closer by the time they arrive, so they can often get the assault the turn they come into play.

I could also take out the meganobz and battlewagons, and run 4 units of 30 boyz with a KFF protecting them. As I mentioned, that felt cheesy, and I wanted to give this list a try unless people feel it's completely unviable.

What do you think?

Last edited by mynameisgrax; September 4th, 2008 at 23:08. Reason: changed after hearing advice
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Well, well, the shoe is on the other foot

That lists looks pretty 'ard, let ==Me== see what I can come up with.

The Battlewagons could use Deff Rollas. They are an awesome upgrade and can help a lot against AV14.

The Bosses could use attack squigs, that extra attack is never missed as far as I'm concerned.

To make up the points, you could lose the rokkit buggies. They are pretty much free kill points and 1 rokkit won't really do that much. You could also get rid of the big shootas in the slugga mob for another Kommando if you were so inclined.

How do you feel about armor plates? I don't think ignoring 1 damage result is worth the points, especially not for ==My== Dark Angels. 10 points is a lot more reasonable and probably best on Battlewagons.

I'm tempted to take 120 sluggas and a KFF and call it a day too, but I really just don't have the motivation to move so many models...

Best of luck to you boss
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Yes, maybe, no, and yes

I agree, Deffrollas would be great, but there's no way I'm going to be able to model them before the tournament. I'm still trying to find some good parts for 2 of the deffrollas. If I got my act together a little quicker, I'd be able to model them in time, but as it is, I think I'll have to make do without them in this tournament.

I'm not a fan of attack squigs. One additional attack just isn't significant enough. I might do it if there's nothing else to spend points on, but I've got better uses for the points in this list.

I love rokkit buggies. They almost always result in a win/win situation. They either distract my opponent for 1 or 2 turns, giving my main units the chance they need to rush up, or they're ignored, allowing them to sneak around to side or back armor, and wreck havok.

Yeah, I really should ditch the armor plates. I'm just worried about their survivability, but armor plates aren't really going to make a signficant difference, or at least not enough to warrant their points.

Thanks for the help!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

Speak of the devil...

I've been considering a second version of this list, which is admittedly very similar to Me's, but I wrote it up first, on paper, and then saw Me's version. Anyway, here's my alternate version of my list:

HQ

Warboss on bike w/powerklaw, cybork [135]

Big Mek w/KFF [85]

ELITE

13 Lootas [195]

13 Lootas [195]

TROOP

30 Slugga boyz w/nob, powerklaw, bosspole, 'eavy armor for nob [225]

30 Shoota boyz w/3 big shootas, nob, powerklaw, bosspole, 'eavy armor for nob [240]

7 Nob bikers w/3 pk, painboy, cybork, waugh banner, bosspole, scorcha, big choppa [485]

12 Slugga boyz w/nob, 'eavy armor for nob, powerklaw, bosspole, trukk, ram [157]

HEAVY

3 Killa Kans w/kmbs [165]

3 Killa Kans w/kmbs [165]

Kill Points: 13

What do you think? Is the first list better, or the new version?
    Last edited by mynameisgrax; September 13th, 2008 at 06:30. Reason: changed the list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

I like it a lot, I can't really figure out why though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

I like this one. You have fast killy units and of course my favorite, 'uge mobs. Nob bikers are loads of fun, i have three with pks just to first turn assault and wreck a vehicle. Not to mention they usually are a big target. Something about all those powerklaws on fast moving gun platforms scares people. But i like it. And boys in trucks are fun too, you keeping those in reserve too? I've played with that idea when you mentioned it in your last list i posted under. It was fun, and added a different aspect to the game.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

Ch-ch-changes

After play testing, I've found that I simply have too much of this army starting in reserve. Having the nobz, kommandos and two trukks all in reserve is simply too much, and in the larger games (2000-2500 points) I've found I could really use a fourth large mob of boyz.

I've adjusted the list, cutting out the kommandos (just too many units in reserve) and changing one of the units of trukk boyz into a unit of 30 shoota boyz, with 3 big shootas and a nob with a powerklaw, 'eavy armor, and bosspole. I also have enough points left over to add two more killa kans, bringing the units of 2 up to 3 each.

Depending on the opponent, I'll probably still keep the biker nobz and single trukk in reserve, for mopping up, and claiming objectives.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

Definitely the way to go

The newest version of the list, with 4 teams of 30 boyz, was definitely the way to go. It's funny that it started as boyz in battlewagons, turned into a split between boyz on foot and boyz in vehicles, and wound up being more or less a horde army.

The nob bikers did well, as did all the boyz, although the lootas underperformed slighlty. This was more or less because of the situations though, but there might be a definite limit to how many lootas you want in a list. They aren't that good against units with 3+ armor saves, and unfortunately, that's all I fought at the 'ard boyz.

I still wound up taking 3rd, although I won't be able to make the next round, unfortunately. Still, the list worked pretty well, all things considered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

431 (x8)

Good showing grax, well done. I had to drop out at the last minute due to family-related problems (very complicated, very mess business) but I'm glad to see the Orks performing well.

Lootas were a concern of ==Mine== too, especially with 2 missions featuring Dawn of War. Did that affect you much?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

Indeed

Horribly!

Well, not horribly, but they did lose out on at least one full round of shooting each, and their placement was more limited. I wound up moving them in and running them into position the first turn of both Dawn of War games.

The units really hurt by all the Dawn of War scenarios were the Killa Kans. With 24in range on the guns and 6in movement, they lagged behind everything else, and barely made a showing in each game. In the future I'm probably going to limit my armies to 1 unit of killa kans and 1 unit of lootas, at least in competitive games. They're hurt too much in Dawn of War Scenarios.

Of course, the flipside is that the large units of boyz did great in Dawn of War. They were lunging down the enemy's throats by turn two. ^_^

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast