2500, another 'Ard Boyz Necron List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2500, another 'Ard Boyz Necron List

HQ: Orb Lord 140
    HQ: Veil Lord, Warscythe 170

T: 10xWarriors 180

E: 10xImmortals 280
    E: 8xFlayed Ones 144

FA: 4xDestroyers 200

Hvy: 3xTomb Spiders 165

Pts: 2499
    Phase Out at 20
    Total Necrons 82

I was thinking of running with two monoliths and a lighter list of destroyers/warriors, but I expect a lot of anti-tank in my area, so i went destroyer heavy instead.

I've had good use of the tomb spiders in 5th edition, more for their extra T6 wounds than their ability to help my crons get back up.

Added the veil lord for mobility (instead of a 2nd orb) and had an extra 11 pts laying around so i added the war scythe in case i scatter too close and get assaulted. Sweeps kill necrons, no ifs ands or buts.

I dont have a Deciever, so no love there.

Outflanking with the Flayed Ones has paid off in the past, and it tends to make the opposition bunch towards the middle.

Constructive comments and suggestions are welcome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Fraustdemon View Post
    HQ: Veil Lord, Warscythe 170

E: 8xFlayed Ones 144

Hvy: 3xTomb Spiders 165

Pts: 2499
    Phase Out at 20
    Total Necrons 82

I was thinking of running with two monoliths and a lighter list of destroyers/warriors, but I expect a lot of anti-tank in my area, so i went destroyer heavy instead.

I've had good use of the tomb spiders in 5th edition, more for their extra T6 wounds than their ability to help my crons get back up.

Added the veil lord for mobility (instead of a 2nd orb) and had an extra 11 pts laying around so i added the war scythe in case i scatter too close and get assaulted. Sweeps kill necrons, no ifs ands or buts.

I dont have a Deciever, so no love there.

Outflanking with the Flayed Ones has paid off in the past, and it tends to make the opposition bunch towards the middle.

Constructive comments and suggestions are welcome.
    I never like small squads of warriors, but that's a preference, most other squads are around 10 because they try to max them out, and that's were having a few extra bodies comes in handy.
    Everyone likes immortals it seems to me they have the same feelings about them that they did in previous editions where they were much more useful. but for 10 immortals you get 15 warriors which tends to be a better investment from troops standpoint. also maximizing your warriors helps with the tomb spyder ressurrection if you ever need it.
    Dear Game Designer,
    Rock is Cheese. Paper is fine.
    Signed,
    Scissors

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

The list is fine, but there's some things I personally don't like.

> Take the warscythe off your lord, you're not assaulting with your Veil lord.
    > Small troops are fine, especially with sweeping advance as I think it stands now...those leadership modifiers and low Initiative kills us bad!
    > No monolith!? Maybe drop some flayed or immortals, or something...the monolith is a HUGE benefit to your phalanx of warriors! Being able to re-roll WBB is GIGANTIC!!!
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Trainer View Post
    > No monolith!? Maybe drop some flayed or immortals, or something...the monolith is a HUGE benefit to your phalanx of warriors! Being able to re-roll WBB is GIGANTIC!!!
    yeah I like to run 2 or 3, they are invaluable at not just what they can do on the field but at soaking up enemy fire. the more shots into the monolith the less shots into your warriors
    Dear Game Designer,
    Signed,
    Scissors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the input guys.n Its good to get other peoples views and opinions.

I have to agree with DT about sweeping advances. Larger units just means more losses when a sweep happens. multiple small units provides me with firing and movement flexibility as well.

Warscythe: i had 11 spare points, and figured with scatter the way it is on the DS, if i'm close enough to shoot with a range 12 staff, i'll be in range to be assaulted. Lots of people in my area bring invulnerable saves aplenty.

As for no Liths, i was considering running two. I'm expecting heavy anti tank, and rather than getting my liths popped early, i figured i'd overload on infantry/destroyers and cause my opponents to think a bit more on their feet at the lack of an expected threat and what to do with their antitank (which pretty much becomes expensive bolters vs infantry). That and after playing a dozen or so games with crons i havent found the portal all that useful. personally, it puts me in a reactionary stance. i have a unit in blast formation, and unless i'm playing it defensively, or its out away from everything, it puts me that much closer to the enemy (and typically in assault range) which is the last place i want to be and defeats the purpose of porting necrons to bring them back only to die to a sweep.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

102 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Fraustdemon View Post

As for no Liths, i was considering running two. I'm expecting heavy anti tank, and rather than getting my liths popped early, i figured i'd overload on infantry/destroyers and cause my opponents to think a bit more on their feet at the lack of an expected threat and what to do with their antitank (which pretty much becomes expensive bolters vs infantry). That and after playing a dozen or so games with crons i havent found the portal all that useful. personally, it puts me in a reactionary stance. i have a unit in blast formation, and unless i'm playing it defensively, or its out away from everything, it puts me that much closer to the enemy (and typically in assault range) which is the last place i want to be and defeats the purpose of porting necrons to bring them back only to die to a sweep.
    That's your call, I find a monolith truely important to yank a squad out of CC and let them SHOOT that turn (that CC specific squad is now targetable by ALL your squads usually in the same area). Also important for squads who fail more than 10-20% of their WBB...the points MORE than justify rerolling.

But you're right, it's playstyle. I find having to use rapid fire on normal warriors often puts them in assault range Standing still and firing one shot 24" just doesn't cut the firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh I agree completely on rapid fire=assault range. It's why i supplement my shooting with destroyers and immortals so i can chew them up as they come in. I've also found that there is often not a squad left to pull from close combat now with the leadership mods for 5th and a whopping I2 on warriors. I'll throw a depleted unit in front of my guns to halt an advance, they usually get wiped on the opponents assault phase and are left standing there in the open (I actually hope for sweeping advance in this case).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

102 (x5)

Well I agree hoping for sweeping advance is fine, but I've just had situations where they remain and pulling them out makes their assaulters sitting ducks. I've been using Gaze of flame to negate assault points too!

Also, the monolith's survivability with 14 armor on all sides is great now that glances can't pop it! 2 monoliths is very nice, Str 9 and 10 are the only thing that can destroy it really and even then they're rolling 5's for 10, and 6's for 9 and then have to roll for the dmg factors. You'd be suprised how long they live, plus soaking up that fire is things your warriors can now avoid. I've had a single monolith soak up tons of lascannon shots and only get stunned (which the particle whip can still SHOOT!!! MWA HA HA!!)

I mean look at the worst possible! S10 AP1, Roll to hit something like 3+ or scatter, then 5+ to pen, then 4+ to destroy. The likely of hitting ALL those in sync would be unlikely. Plus it gets better as you get more common anti tank S9 AP2, 6's and no +1 on dmg chart, etc. Don't get me wrong they can get lucky...but it's fun to watch all those nasty WBB negating shots go away.
    Last edited by Dark Trainer; September 5th, 2008 at 19:30.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Played the above list last friday. i was pleased with the firepower, but not the mobility. Think i'm going to run it as follows:

HQ: Veil Lord 160

T: 10x Warriors 180

E: 10x Immortals 280
    E: 10x Immortals 280

F: 4x Destroyers 200

Hv: Monolith 235
    Hv: Monolith 235

Grand Total: 2470

Necron Total: 64
    Phase Out At: 16

Now what to do with 30 points. maybe Gaze of flame for both my lords.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x1)

you might want to look at another squad of warriors one squad of 17 instead of the immoratals have it sit in the back holding an objective, or ensuring no one deepstrike behind you.
    the only time I don't field 3 monolith's is when I field tomb spyders instead. other than being able to take objectives it seems like a versatile list
    Dear Game Designer,
    Signed,
    Scissors

+ Reply to Thread