Balanced 1000 pts Eldar - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Balanced 1000 pts Eldar

Here's the reworked list then

HQ

Elites

9 Harlequines 228 pts
    Shadowseer, All have kisses

Troops

10 Dire Avengers 152 pts
    Exarch - 2 Catapults, Bladestorm

3 Eldar Jetbikes 76 pts
    Cannon

3 Eldar Jetbikes 76 pts
    Cannon

Fast Attack

Vyper 60 pts
    2 Shuriken Cannons

Heavy Support

Wraithlord 130 pts
    Brightlance

Fire Prism 115 pts

This takes me to 992 points

Last edited by Clearasil; September 8th, 2008 at 19:36.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x4)

Looks like a well rounded list tho not much in the way of anti tank. Play and see what you think.

PL
    I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand

Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't really need a Concealing Warlock on your Guardians. 4+ cover saves are plentiful nowadays so spending points on a 5+ cover save is a bit of a waste. Your lasers are AP6 and Marines will just use their armor save, so shooting through cover to make sure you have cover in return is not a bad decision most of the time.

You might want to switch the Sword on your Wraithlord out for another gun since you don't get any more attacks with the sword than without. He's pretty slow and running with him is a waste of BS4 heavy weapon shooting, meaning you won't be getting into assault very much with this guy. Yes, his statline is huge, but he still only has 2 attacks base and power fists will rip him a new one. Use him for shooting, it's what they're best at. If you find your IG/Daemon/whatever opponents like to bring AV13+ to the field (Soul Grinder, Leman Russ, upcoming Ironclad Dreadnought, Land Raider) then you might want to give him a Bright Lance. If you face more infantry, you can combine the Missile Launcher with a Scatter Laser for the pinning template and whittling them down.

The thing about using Banshees in a Serpent as counter attack troops, you can't assault the turn they jump out. Banshees in a serpent are more offensive than defensive: turbo boost to a relatively safe but close-enough spot, then jump out next turn within assault range. The other thing about these guys is your Wave Serpent is the only tank on the field and given target availability most people will point every anti-tank round they have at it until it goes away.

If you wanted readily available counter-assault squads, you might want to go with Harelquins with a Shadowseer, since she allows them to be invisible beyond 24" and still annoyingly hard to shoot at within 24". You can get a squad of 10 (including the Seer and Kisses) for 35 points less than your banshee/serpent combo. Between rending, furious charge, ignoring difficult terrain, and being invisible to most things that aren't in assault range, these guys tend to do very well so long as you're careful with your movement phases. Don't end your move within rapid fire range, that's just asking to get shot to pieces. Of course, if you're fine with the delayed assault capabilities of the Banshees in a Serpent, keep them. There's nothing wrong with Banshees, after all.

I reworked your list just a bit to see how it would come out points-wise:
    10x Harlequins with Shadowseer, all with Kisses
    10x Defender Guardians, Scatter Laser
    6x Guardian Jetbikes, 2x Shuriken Cannon
    Vyper, Scatter Laser
    Wraithlord, Flamers, Missile Launcher, Scatter Laser
    -999 points

From dropping a few points from the extra Guardians, Warlock, and Wave Serpent I fit in three more Jetbikers and gave them Shuriken Cannons, giving you more flexibility and staying power with this crew. They're still relatively fragile so you have to be careful with them, but now you can annoy people at 24" and use your 6" assault move to get behind cover or even better: out of Line of Sight.
    Last edited by Kirbinator; September 8th, 2008 at 15:44.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aww, you took out the Dire Avengers I really want to include a squad of those in my army. And I thought about the Harlequines: Yes please! I hadn't paid attention to them at all really, but now, I'm definetly gonna take a squad. I'll post the reworked list soon!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm, i'm not sure i'd drop the banshees. I'm a real lover of harlequins so would normal take them, but in this case i wouldn't change too much. I like the army list as a whole, i would just tweek a few things.

First up, drop the vyper and warlock. With the points saved slot in 3 more jetsbikes and 2 shuricannons. These boys can wiz around benefiting from a 3+ cover save and every now and then make a shooting run. Awesome!

Second, swap the EML on both the WS and the WL to BL's. There you have your anti tank!

Thirdly, DO NOT DROP THE DA'S....... You need these guys!!! They kick ass.

Fouthly....... no that's it. I've not got my codex to hand so don't want to make a guess at the exact points, but include a few powers here and there and can't see it being to far off 1000.

8 Banshees inc exarch
    WS with BL's

10 DA's inc exarch

12 Guardians with SL

6 Jetbikes with 2 cannons

Wraithlord with BL.

E08

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oops! I didn't drop the Avengers, I just forgot to relist them. They're in the points just as you have them listed, don't worry. That list should read as it does with the Avengers still in:

10x Harlequins with Shadowseer, all with Kisses
    10x Dire Avengers, Exarch w/ Dual Catapults, Bladestorm
    6x Guardian Jetbikes, 2x Shuriken Cannon
    Vyper, Scatter Laser
    Wraithlord, Flamers, Missile Launcher, Scatter Laser
    -999 points

Alternatively, let's say you fight a lot of AV13+, so you need your bright lances. You could try something like this:
    8x Banshees - Including Exarch, Executioner, Acrobatic/War Shout (whichever helps more often to you)
    -Wave Serpent - TL Bright Lance, Spirit Stones
    10x Dire Avengers, Exarch w/ Dual Catapults, Bladestorm
    6x Jetbikes, 1 Shuriken Cannon
    Wraithlord, Flamers, Missile Launcher, Bright Lance

-999 points
    Last edited by Kirbinator; September 8th, 2008 at 18:57.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are the Guardians any good/essential? I'm willing to drop them for good, plus, they don't even look so good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guardians, both Defender and Storm, are very good for what they are. Defender Guardians let you sit on a back objective but still participate in combat via Scatter Lasers and Missile Launchers. I'd probably go Missile Launcher myself for the 48" range and pinning template, but that's another story.

Storm Guardians give you either very cheap melta squads or a decent amount of assault horde capability with cheap flamers. Don't underestimate what a 15-man squad with an Enhancing Warlock can do, especially if you put an Avatar in to make them Fearless. Better yet, leave the Avatar at home, grab a Farseer and Doom your opponent.

Yes, people do run lists without any Guardians, but unless you're replacing them with Pathfinders you'll find leaving those expensive Avengers on that back objective to be very painful since they're useless beyond 18".

Then there's the Jetbike Guardians, and you can drop them as you please, but you'd just be replacing them with either more Avengers or more Guardians. It's also very nice to jet in 24" onto an objective to contest it at the last minute.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

Not a bad list after your edits. I'd be a bit worried about enough troops. You have a total of 16 models for troops. Remember your guardians on jetbikes will take moral tests after just one loss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick note, next time post that you reworked the list so it pops back up as a new topic. Otherwise, it just gets ignored at the bottom like all the other ones. ^^ Moving on...

HQ

Elites

9 Harlequines 228 pts
    Shadowseer, All have kisses

Troops

10 Dire Avengers 152 pts
    Exarch - 2 Catapults, Bladestorm

3 Eldar Jetbikes 76 pts
    Cannon

3 Eldar Jetbikes 76 pts
    Cannon

Fast Attack

Vyper 60 pts
    2 Shuriken Cannons

Heavy Support

Wraithlord - Lance 130
    Fire Prism 115 pts

This takes me to 992 points

9 'quins including the Seer will tear something apart. Just be careful, once you're in that 24" range, they're very fragile. Don't forget they ignore difficult terrain, have Furious Charge, and can Hit and Run.

Your Avengers look fine.

Jetbikes look bad. A single squad of 3 for the sake of last-minute claiming or objecting, ok. Two of them? You're relying on these guys way too much. A 3+ save is not difficult to get through, nor are applying three wounds to them. Two squads of 3 will also run very quickly, just as badxample said.

Your Vyper looks bad. Dual cannons mean you have to be within 24" to shoot at them and you can't move more than 6" and fire them both. I'd suggest dropping the Vyper altogether, but if you want to keep it take off a Cannon and switch the main weapon to a Missile Launcher.

If you're running the Wraithlord as just a semi-mobile Lance blaster, switch him out for a Fire Prism. Yes, it's the only place you can put a BS4 Lance, but it's not worth 130 points. Fire Prisms are best ran in pairs or triplicate.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast