1500 - first list - competitive - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 - first list - competitive

Hi everyone, this is my first post, so be gentle.
    I have a several small forces (orks, chaos, nids) which I enjoy, but I want to upgrade to a larger scale force and have been thinking about investing in some Eldar. Before I start making any purchases I just wanted to run a list by you guys and try to figure out what I should start with and work towards. The environment I play in is fairly competitive with a lot of experienced players. Anyway, on to the list!

-HQ-

Farseer - doom - 80

-Elites-

Howling Banshees - 9 strong
    Wave Serpent - rokkit launcher, spirit stone - 274

Howling Banshees - 9 strong
    Wave Serpent - rokkit launcher, spirit stone - 274

-Troops-

Dire Avengers - 10 strong, Exarch, Bladestorm - 147

Dire Avengers - 10 strong, Exarch, Bladestorm
    Wave Serpent - rokkit launcher, spirit stone - 277

-Heavy Support-

Fire Prism - Holofield - 150

Total - 1499 - 30 troops - 5 tanks - 49 warm bodies

My main questions are: should I exchange one of the banshee squads for some fire dragons w/ exarch, whether I should equip the banshees with exarch, is bladestorm necessary on all the da's, maybe exchange a da squad for some pathfinders??? Any comments, criticism or advice would be awesome. Thanks!

Edit: Bored and playing with my options, I came up with this alternate list.

-HQ-

Farseer - doom - 80

-Elites-

Howling Banshees - 10 strong, Exarch, Mirrorswords, Acrobatic
    Wave Serpent - rokkit launcher, spirit stone - 317

Fire Dragon - 6 strong, Exarch, Dragon Breath Flamer, Crack shot
    Wave Serpent - rokkit launcher, spirit stone - 243

-Troops-

Dire Avengers - 10 strong, Exarch, Power weapon and shimmershield, Bladestorm
    Wave Serpent - rokkit launcher, spirit stone - 292

Pathfinders - 5 strong - 120

-Heavy Support-

Total - 1499 - 25 troops - 5 tanks - 42 warm bodies

Last edited by azar; September 15th, 2008 at 14:10.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

I like your revision a bit better. Here's some food for thought though:
    • With only 6 in the squad you could take a falcon over the waveserpent for the fire dragons. It has the potential to shoot more guns, depending on how you use it.
    • 5 tanks means you're pretty open to an anti-tank army.
    • There's nothign wrong with taking so few points in HQ, but why not take a second cheap farseer then.
    • your orkyness is apparent. we call them eldar missle launchers here instead of rokkit launchers. (EML)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like your first list more, personally. People tend to think they are in the clear after they wipe out one unit of Banshees and don't usually see the second squad coming. I might try to find a way to insert an Exarch with an Executioner into those units if you can find the points, wounding those Monstrous Creatures on a 4+ with her 3 attacks on the charge is nice. I always love seeing a squad of Banshees taking down a Carnifex (so long as it doesn't take the +1T) or a Tyrant in one assault.

To make room for the Exarchs you could drop the Holo-Fields from your Fire Prisms, but I'd leave that to your playstyle. I tend to keep my Prisms very far away from things that can shoot back and out of line of sight from things that could shoot back at them. I'd rather give something a cover save and be safe than leave a Prism out in the open just to maybe nuke a squad of Marines. If you're more prone to play aggressively with your Prisms, though, the 35 points are well worth it in the Holo-Fields.

I'm assuming you meant for your Doomseer to ride around with one of the Banshee squads, since Doom turns them from good to amazing at that point.

As far as using Missile Launchers instead of Scatter Lasers or Bright Lances on your Serpents, it all depends on what you fight more of. If you find yourself up against a fair amount of AV13+ machinery, Bright Lances are well worth the investment. However, if you find a mix of Horde and Light Mechs, Missile Launchers do just fine and are much cheaper. Scatter Lasers are for those Orks and Nids, since they're all but immune to pinning tests your missile launchers would cause.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll definitely be taking your thoughts into consideration while I tweak and fine tune these lists. Also Badxample, in my experience missiles miss, while rokkits rock .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the list very much . My personal preference would be to remove the Banshees, give their Serpent to the Avengers on foot and add a 3rd Prism.

Also Holo fields are useless in 5th pretty much, the points would be better spent on either another Farseer, replacing your Farseer with Eldrad, or just giving him more power and Runes of Warding and Witnessing (in a competitive setting, psykers are everywhere)

Hope this helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, i would run the Prisms with Spirit Stones. Holo-fields are a waste of points as they make it even more likely to get a "weapon destroyed" result. Once that happens, all you can do is tank shock and fire your measly catapult. Better to take the chance on ending up destroyed, in hopes of getting an "immobilized" result.
    "What do Humans know of our pain? We have sung songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea."
    - Farseer Eldrad Ulthran of Craftworld Ulthwe

+ Reply to Thread