Tau 1k Semi-Mechanised - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tau 1k Semi-Mechanised

Hello there . I have thrashed out a list that is affordable moneywise, and which seems to be pretty effective on paper, but would like some advice from those of you who have tried Mech-Tau lists before.

Any advice is welcome ofcourse .

I will not be facing too many MEQ armies as we have alot of Ork/Guard players, so I have gone for a balanced (missile pod ) load out on my battlesuits, and the need to capture objectives in 5th edition has made me re-evaluate the role of Kroot in my army, as actually being able to withstand an assault would be nice... That or the option to launch one of my own .

As an aside I also just dislike the aesthetic of the plasma rifle... but I suppose I could suck it up and just convert some couldn't it .

So, without further ado...

Crisis Suit Commander (Shas’El)
    T-l Missile Pod, Stimulant Injector, Fusion Blaster and Hardwired Target lock
    95pts

Crisis Team (3 Shas’ui)
    Twin-Linked Missile Pods
    1 Drone controller (2 Shield Drones), 2 Target Locks
    173pts

Kroot Carnivore Pack (10 Kroot)
    70pts

70pts

Fire Warrior Team – 12 FW + Devilfish
    12 Pulse Rifles
    Devilfish has a Disruption Pod and Decoy Launchers
    210pts

12 Pulse Rifles
    210pts

Hammerhead Gunship
    Rail-gun, Smart Missile system, Multi-tracker and Disruption Pod
    175pts

999pts

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The Allmighty Chaos Boots Process's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x3)

Nice looking balanced list. Looks liek alot of fun to play with. a bit of everything and some movement too.

It may not epic win everything but you wont loose epically either. for a bit more of shooty madness you can exchange the kroots in some games to slogging pulse carbine troops but in general I wouldnt change a thing.
    What is Aurora Prime?
    "behold, I am the flamer, the searing one, the combustion of all spontanious flash fires, I am process" BIG RED BUTTON!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Sokahrthumaniel View Post
    Hello there . I have thrashed out a list that is affordable moneywise, and which seems to be pretty effective on paper, but would like some advice from those of you who have tried Mech-Tau lists before.

Any advice is welcome ofcourse .

I will not be facing too many MEQ armies as we have alot of Ork/Guard players, so I have gone for a balanced (missile pod ) load out on my battlesuits, and the need to capture objectives in 5th edition has made me re-evaluate the role of Kroot in my army, as actually being able to withstand an assault would be nice... That or the option to launch one of my own .

As an aside I also just dislike the aesthetic of the plasma rifle... but I suppose I could suck it up and just convert some couldn't it .

So, without further ado...

Crisis Suit Commander (Shas’El)
    T-l Missile Pod, Stimulant Injector, Fusion Blaster and Hardwired Target lock
    95pts
    Mmmmm not a fan of the MP, Fusion combo they are two very mismatched weapons. The Fusion is a close up weapon that is best used with Plasma (for both weapons low AP against tough targets). The MP is best used with Plasma because the ranges are more matched and you can get 4 shots at 12". Also you are getting a BS4 Fusion shot and while this is not bad I would prefer to have a BS5 suit (targeting array) for all the weapons rather than just having the re-roll for the MP. I would either go for the 97pt BS5 TA Fireknife or Helios. I also would not bother with the Stims but that is just my preference, I never rely on safety blankets.

Crisis Team (3 Shas’ui)
    Twin-Linked Missile Pods
    1 Drone controller (2 Shield Drones), 2 Target Locks
    173pts
    I really do not like this set up, expensive and a big target. I would advise going for a two man DR team with twin linked MP and TA with team leader with a HW Target lock (116pts) and a monat DR with the TL MP and TA (53pts). With these units you should not need the Drones because they will be a lot easier to hide. Also you have two units able to target three enemy units a turn. The Monat is immune to fall back and is also very easy to hide. You will have BS4 re-rolled shots for near 100% accuracy.
    The two man team will need to lose one suit before tests and believe me it is always better to have two units rather than put all your eggs in one basket.

70pts

70pts
    Love these but (always a but, see FW entry)

12 Pulse Rifles
    210pts

12 Pulse Rifles
    210pts
    I have an idea for you, Pathfinders! You have no Marker lights at all and I think with Orks and IG you will really benefit from them (try 24 pulse rifle shots at BS4 with no cover save). So here is how I would do it.
    Lose a Devilfish and the Decoys on the other (90pts)
    Lose a Kroot squad (love em but think PF would help more) 70pts
    Lose the SMS on the HH (burst cannons are just as good against Orks etc) 10pts

You can then take 7 Pathfinders for 84pts and a DF with DP's for 85pts. Use the DF for the FW squad that does not have a DF. You will have 7 marker lights and still have two fully mobile FW squads. Just an idea but one worth thinking about.

Hammerhead Gunship
    Rail-gun, Smart Missile system, Multi-tracker and Disruption Pod
    175pts

999pts
    As said earlier lose the SMS, I would keep the HH as far away as possible and if Orks or IG get close then the BC is just as good.

The list would look like this

HQ
    Shas'El: MP, PL (or Fusion) TA and HW Multi 97pts

Elites

TA eqiupped Deathrain X2 with Team leader with HW TL 116pts

TA equipped Deathrain 53pts

Trooops

2 X FW squads (12) 240pts
    1 X Devil fish with DP's 85pts

10 Kroot 70pts

Fast attack
    Pathfinder squad (7 PF's) 84pts
    Devilfish with DP's 85pts (for use with FW squad)

Heavy
    Hammerhead with RG, BC, Multi and DP's 165pts

995pts

With this list you lose one Kroot squad but you gain ML support which can make a huge difference. If you want a a Target lock on the PF squad (to add a bit of versitility) then lose two FW's. Now I am not saying your list is bad (which it most certainly is not), I am simply offering you some more options. However I would advise splitting the DR team up and using the basic TA equipped Shas'El as this will really help the list. (you will need to do some slight juggling of points). Hope that helps and gives you some ideas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm good points - I will revise my list as I was aiming to have 4 troops coihces for objective capture (I fear losing too many and failing the mission to hordes that will just grab a fewm ore than me), but your suggestions for the suits are definitely taken on board.

As for the FW... would bonding them be beneficial?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Hmm good points - I will revise my list as I was aiming to have 4 troops coihces for objective capture (I fear losing too many and failing the mission to hordes that will just grab a fewm ore than me), but your suggestions for the suits are definitely taken on board.

As for the FW... would bonding them be beneficial?
    I never use bonding; I prefer to just have an Ui for the LDS boost. However others swear by it. Problem is finding the points in 1000pt lists. Whatever you do you are going to lose something, be it Shield Drones, SMS, a couple of Fire Warriors etc. I really have never missed taking BK's on my FW units. I tend to use my FW units carefully (I take a max of two units of FW's in all lists up to and including 2000pts), I FOF with them utilising Marker lights for the improvement of BS and down grading cover saves, this usually means I am not going to be taking much return fire and the DF provides a cover save as well.
    If you are going to use FW's to secure objectives and sit on the objective (in which case they will take a lot of fire usually) then a BK may well be worthwhile as it could stop them running to far.
    I would advise a few (friendly) games without the BK's and see if you have a need for them. Also the point about objective grabbing, well Tau suffer if to much is put into any one organisation slot and this includes troops. You will be much better of with a balanced list that can deliver lots of punishment (after all dead infantry cannot take objectives) and three troops choices is plenty in any 1000pt list.

+ Reply to Thread