Getting into Eldar 1000 Point Possibilities - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Inquisitorial Aspirant librisrouge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Getting into Eldar 1000 Point Possibilities

I recently sold all my Space Marines and intended to get into Witch Hunters but I've been thinking about Eldar lately and I can afford this list with the money I made (spent a bit on WoD books) and I think it would balance effectiveness with an Ulthwe' theme.

What do you guys think?

HQ-
    Farseer - Guide, Mind War, Spirit Stones, and Runes of Witnessing

Trp-
    Guardians x10 - EML
    Warlock - Conceal

Guardians x10 - EML
    Warlock - Conceal

Dire Avengers x9
    Exarch - Two Catapults and Bladestorm
    Wave Serpent - Spirit Stones and TL Brightlance (need something for Land Raiders)

Hvy-
    Falcon - EML, Holo-Fields, and Spirit Stones

War Walker x2 - Two Scatterlasers

It even gives me around 25-30 points to fool around with. What do you guys think?

Last edited by librisrouge; October 9th, 2008 at 06:10. Reason: I accidentally wrote that the Guardians had Enhance
    'An open mind is like a fortress with its walls unguarded and its gates wide open' -Blood Ravens

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would either take conceal on the defender warlocks or not take locks at all. Enhance is only needed if you plan on going CC with them and since theyre with a platform I dont think that is what youre trying to do. For Ulthwe, and since you need them to take objectives, I would consider making them storm guardians with 2 flamers and a warlock with enhance or destructor. Theyre going to be getting physical with your opponents units anyway in order to take objectives. Atleast one of your guardian squads I think will needs to be storm gaurds for the above reason.

You may want to drop the RoW from the farseer to try to get a 3rd walker with an SL. 24 S6 guided shots will put the pain on just about anything they shoot at. With this combo youll need to keep them back a bit so that would make doom not as useful either unless an HQ decides to go for them.

Instead of the falcon, I would also consider a Wraithlord ( since youll have psykers anyways ). He'll but just as tough if not tougher than your falcon, just not as mobile. He will also make for a good shot obsorber as most opponents see them as a threat. Put dual EMLS or an EML/BL combo on him with dual flamers and walk him up with a warlock lead storm guardian unit with 2x falmers and destructor. When you get close enough that will be 5 flame templates!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

I'm not a big fan of mindwar, I would switch it for doom or if the farseer is not going to be moving forward much I'd say drop it and the spirit stones to save some points. I like runes of warding over runes of witnessing in a general list. It really makes alot of problems for enemy psykers and it is rare for eldar to fail a test (unless you run into runes of warding that is).

Only other part of the list I really don't like is the Falcon, you have nothing traveling in it. I like fire prisms as shooting tanks over falcons. But I don't like fielding just one fire prism if you can sneak in the points for 2 they become just great. With the points from the falcon the points you have left and the points shaved from farseer you could get two prisms. If you keep them at range they last fairly long even bare bones.

The wraithlord suggestion would be good if you don't want to sink that many points into your heavy support.

Careful with your low model count, and those are rather fragile even for eldar.

Inquisitorial Aspirant librisrouge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

I've tried to take your advice into account and built this list from the information. I hope it gets a decent reaction.

HQ-
    Farseer - Mind War, Guide, and Spirit Stones

Trp-
    Dire Avengers x9
    Exarch w/ Double Catapults and Bladestorm
    Wave Serpent w/ Spirit Stones and TL Brightlance

Guardians x10 w/ Scatterlaser
    Warlock w/ Conceal
    Wave Serpent w/ Spirit Stones and TL EML

Guardians x10 w/ Scatterlaser
    Warlock w/ Conceal and Singing Spear

Fst-
    Vyper w/ Scatterlaser

Hvy-
    War Walkers x2 w/ TL Scatterlasers

Lower armor vehicles shouldn't be a problem with the abundance of Scatterlasers on the table and higher armor values can be dealt with by the Wave Serpents and Vyper from the rear.

The reason for the Vyper over a third walker is to add variety and more units. I know it would be very beneficial with Guide but that would give me one less unit to be shot at and the Vypers maneuverability can allow it to get side and rear armor shots if I take some risks with it.

Some people don't particularly care for conceal on warlocks but with my numbers being so low I feel that additional survivability would be very benefitial (my gaming shop doesn't always use so much terrain to provide cover.)

The second Wave Serpent is there for additional anti-vehicle help and to move Guardians if I need it done. Plus, this list is designed to grow and at 1500 it will probably be flying around some banshees instead of Guardians.

Any thoughts?
    'An open mind is like a fortress with its walls unguarded and its gates wide open' -Blood Ravens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could be wrong on this, don't you get a cover save for disembarking, if not keep conceal, if so replace it with a destructor, make the others storm guardians and give them two flamers (this only applies to the guardians in the serpent). If you put the farseer with the guardians in the WS and you have made those guardians stormies, then let him keep mind war. If not and you intend to keep him with the DA give him fortune for either the tanks or the guardian squads, and remove mind war.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No cover for disembarking....

Warwalker scatters arent twin linked btw...none of their weapons are

I would suggest dropping the warlocks on the Guardian squads to get an extra Warwalker and stick the farseer with them with guide. Just keep the Guardians back since the SLs have decent range. I also hate Guardians so I have a bias. They never seem to work well enough for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guardians are worthless without a warlock, especially in such small numbers. Conceal or embolden are needed for Defender squads and enhance or destructor are needed for storm guardians.

Guardians create a dilema, they are not the best troop choice and thus are out done by DA in a WS.I would only take a squad of guardians in a WS if they were storm guardians with two flamers and a heavy flamer (destructor) or enhance. The tactic being, you drop them they flame and then they charge whats left. Usually when I use guardians they either fill this role or they are defender guardians and they do just as they title says, they defend a obj. in your deployment. The squad will usually be maxed with either embolden or conceal and with a support wep. like a SL or EML.

Therefore my general rule is that if they are in a WS make them stormies with a warlock with enhance or a destructor. If they are not in a WS, max the squad out make them defenders, give the warlock embolden or conceal, and give them a SL or EML.

Hope it helps,

Tikidude92

+ Reply to Thread