2000 - fast - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2000 - fast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 - fast

I'm seriously considering starting Eldar, and this is what I've got for an army list. I'd like it to be competitive, but I'm still going for something thematic. In this case, either a vanguard or rapid-response type.
    HQ
    • Autarch 130
    o Jetbike
    o Laser Lance
    o Mandiblasters
    • Farseer 128
    o Singing Spear
    o Spirit Stones
    o Guide
    o Fortune

Elite
    • Wraithguard 350
    o X5
    o Wave Serpent
    • Twin-Linked Starcannon
    • Spirit Stones
    o Warlock
    • Conceal

Troop
    • Dire Avengers 282
    o X10
    o Exarch
    • Two Shuriken Catapults
    • Bladestorm
    o Wave Serpent
    • Twin-Linked Eldar Missile Launcher
    • Spirit Stones
    • Rangers 120
    o X5
    o Pathfinders
    • Rangers 120
    o X5
    o Pathfinders
    • Guardian Jetbikes 120
    o X5
    o Shuriken Cannon

Fast Attack
    • Shining Spears 237
    o X5
    o Exarch
    • Star Lance
    • Withdraw
    • Skilled Rider
    • Shining Spears 237
    o X5
    o Exarch
    • Star Lance
    • Withdraw
    • Skilled Rider

Heavy Support
    • Fire Prism 160
    o Holo Field
    o Spirit Stones
    • Fire Prism 115

Total: 1999

See later posts for idealized tactics.

So, the Farseer is with the Dire Avengers, and the Fire Dragons are in the Falcon. I'm thinking about dropping one squad of Pathfinders for a Farseer with stones, a spear, Guide and Fortune, and sticking him with the Wraithguard, to better protect them. I'd need to grab 5 points from somewhere, but, that's not too hard.

My main worries are the relatively low squad numbers. 3 Guardian Jetbikes can die fast. The Dire Avengers are my only 'meaty' troops choice. Again, relatively so. Also, I'm not too sure about whether to take 2 groups of Pathfinders. It seems the extra Farseer would do more.

Last edited by crazedcucco; October 17th, 2008 at 07:48. Reason: Updated List

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would drop eldrich storm and take guide or fortune along with spirit stones. I never use runes.

With that many troop choices I would drop the pathfinders to make larger bike squads and/or add warlocks with embolden to the smaller squads to help them from breaking up.

Farseer with fortune would help the wraithguard a ton. I would give him doom, fortune and spirit stones for sure.

Taking to Fire prisms would be a bit more flexible and cheaper than the dragon/falcon combo. I like to give one Prism holos and one without. I keep the one behind some cover and let the other with holos roam free to take the hits but keep in LoS of the other Prism.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x2)

On the whole, nothing stands out like a sore thumb, but I don't like taking small squads. While you'd be able to take plenty of objectives, those squads are also easy kill points. I'd be tempted to combine 2 squads, and then see if you can scrounge 76 more points to make the other squad 6 memebers as well. I would disagree with partninja about the pathfinders, I think they'd be critical to holding down objectives that start in your deployment zone, so I'd keep at least one of them, 2 might be more than you need, but thats up to you, since I've found 10 pathfinders to be very effective against MCs, 5 just lack the punch in that situation. Depends on what you think you'll be facing.

Also, I would want an autarch riding with the shining spears. I believe an autarch with jetbike, mandiblasters, and laser lance is 130 points, so you could replace the farseer, but my army always feels naked without a farseer, as I believe he is essential. Although in this list the autarch might be of more use than the farseer (on paper any way).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x3)

What is the purpose of the Wraithguard squad? Is there any reason you would rather field them than a vanilla unit of say 8 fire dragons?

Your fire dragons do not need an exarch, 6 meltaguns is plenty without needing anything special.

The bikes do not pack nearly enough punch to earn their points back, a unit or maybe two for last turn objective seizes is something to contemplate, 3 units probably not so much. Consider dropping one of the units and using those points (and points gained somewhere else) to add a warlock with destructor and maybe a singing spear for the occassional strike at a passing tank. He'll greatly increase the squad's cost, but also greatly increase their effectiveness.

None of your skimmers have spirit stones, those are very necessary. never leave home without them.

Eldritch storm is probably the worst power on our list, you can drop that and the spirit stones to help free up points.
    Everything I have told you, even this, is a lie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, I've changed some stuff around; edited it in the first post. I took PartNinja's advice and dropped the Fire Dragons for a pair of Prisms. You're right, it's cheaper, and now I'm less worried about hordes. And MEQs.

I've kept Eldritch Storm, that's something I can always switch for Guide or Mind War without any model difficulties. I also threw in the other Farseer - the reason I want Wraithguard over Fire Dragons is their survivability.

To pay for all of this, I dropped a Jetbike squad, and mashed the two others together, dropping another cannon. With 5, I can't split them up, but I don't think that'll really be a problem. Spirit Stones also went to all the tanks but the support prism- it shouldn't really be shot at enough for me to warrant the purchase. And of course, I can always toss awound upgrades later.

One of the Wave Serpents got a EML instead of a BL, for points-wise reasons. I also don't feel quite the need for a backup tank killer like I did before.

About the autarch - I want those Spears to hit and run. A lot. It's a rule I plan to make liberal use of.

What are my weaknesses? I'm thinking Tau could put a damper on my day, but that's to be expected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

I just have to say something on your objection to the autarch. The autarch, unlike most other HQ choices, DOES benefit from the exarch powers and therefore their special rules. This means he can withdraw from combat with them as if he were part of the squad.
    For a page reffrence...
    Codex: Eldar page 21
    Exarch powers: paragreaph 2
    "...Exarch powers can only ever affect Aspect Warriors and Autarchs..."
    Independant characters are only unaffected by certain special rules from the squads, and as the special rule is confered from the exarch power, the autarch recives the power and then is given the special rule. Enjoy your shiney new toy!
    Never apologise for asking questions young seers, through asking
    questions we find answers, and through those answers we gain
    knowledge of ourselves and the universe around us
    -Farseer Marauth
    Meet My Autarch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goodness. Thank you. That makes a lot of sense... I had been looking for something like that in the Autarch entry though. Rep given.

So I dropped the Dire Avengers Farseer- he seemed to be the less useful of the two.
    Last edited by crazedcucco; October 17th, 2008 at 07:51.

+ Reply to Thread