Anti-Tyranid 1000 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anti-Tyranid 1000

I might be playing a 1000-point game against Tyranids this weekend. Tyranids give me massive head-aches! I don't know if he'll show up with 4 MCs or an all-genestealer army, so I'd like to have a reasonable chance against either. I'm thinking of concentrating more on anti-infantry because two out of three missions are objective-based and any MCs can't take objectives, so here's my current thought:

1 Monolith
    2x10 Warriors
    1 Lord w/VOT & GOF
    8 Immortals

I could replace the Immortals with H. Destroyers, but they'll be practically useless if he comes at me with an all-genestealer army. Another idea I was toying with was lots of tomb spyders, but I've never fielded an army like that, so I'm not sure how that would turn out. Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well beauty about spiders are the scarabs they can make as they go, so you can negate wounds to them in cc.
    Army » « Necrons » « Tyranids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x3)

I would drop the monolith for destroyers, they can output enough shots to break saves on monsterous creatures, and are fast enough to never get assaulted by genestalers.

The weapons you need to fear are only 18" (or hand to hand) so you can just out range him with destoryers, immortals wont be as good because if you can shoot him he can move and shoot you.

on a side note wraiths can be good if you block line of sight to them so they can assault shooty fexes without being shot at first. Fexes are very poor in hand to hand with only 2 attacks at WS3, just get in and invul them to death.

You Can't Kill the Metal Stabby_McGee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    222 (x3)

Try to keep all your foot guys in cover in case they get assaulted by Genestealers... this way you'll get first strike and MAY be able to hold your own. I've had a lot of luck using destroyers against nids... with S6, AP4, Heavy 3 you'll be able to easily mow down a unit of advancing bugs.
    Last edited by Stabby_McGee; October 22nd, 2008 at 23:46.
    Necrons ~4500pts / Orks ~2000pts / Thousand Sons ~750pts

HOW TO LIGHT A MONOLITH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my experience, destroyers can be assaulted by Tyranids almost as easily as anything else. Between Lictors, out-flanking, and them being his top priority, I can't generally prevent them from being assaulted; all I have any control over is who assaults them and where. Statistically, Immortals and Destroyers are roughly equivalent as far as damage/point goes and I've found them to be slightly more surviveable in the inevitable CC due to the unit having more wounds and hits back.

I like fielding the Monolith against him because it has decent damage output, can teleport units out of CC, and he doesn't have any great way to get rid of it.

Any thoughts on fielding a Deceiver at this point-level?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Deceiver might do alright, but something about making almost 1/3 of your army one unit has always made me a little uneasy, especially with 'Crons. Being able to rip through his big units could be very very handy though. I wouldn't count it out as a good possibility...

I'm skeptical of a Monolith's value against MCs... sure, it gets a free wound with the Particle Whip against MCs, and it can teleport units out of combat (arguably the BEST reason to have it in a list against Tyranids IMHO), but I don't know if it's worth taking over Destroyers for sheer firepower. Spiders would be great against Genestealers and Fexes, though going against a Fex can be a suicide mission.

I dunno, that's just my thoughts on those two particular units.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Particle Whip is definitely more an infantry killer than an MC killer. The only times I would fire it an an MC was if it had only 1 wound left or there were no worth-while infantry units in range. At 1000, I'm almost content to accept the fact that I probably won't be able to kill any MCs, but if I can kill his troops and use teleportation to avoid CC with the MCs, I may still be able to get a victory. For this reason, I'm starting to think he'll be unlikely to field many MCs at this point-level.

+ Reply to Thread