Newcommer any ideas? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newcommer any ideas?

Hey fellow members of LO! I'm thinking very heavily on starting a new Nid army. I've liked Nids for a while now and I wouldn't know where to start. Note I don't have the codex so I don't know what all the abbreviations would stand for and what they do.
    I'll have around $200 to spend. I'm thinking maybe two boxes of gaunts, genestealer box and a lictor (41 models) or a battleforce and a box of gaunts(44 models). My fellow gamers I play with, have orks, eldar, dark eldar, daemon hunters, marines, tau and necrons if that makes it any easier?!? I would like to expand my army to around 1200-1600 points, as xmas is very soon and after that is my bday . Any possible paint schemes, would be nice

Cheers,

--Andrew

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really would depend on what you like the thought of, an endless swarm or a handful of giants. Personally I would pick up the Assault brood if possible. I believe it is 250 dollars. If you can come up with the cash, this'll give you a bunch of useful stuff.

16 genestealers, 32 gaunts (16 horm, 16 general), 6 warriors (you can use as an HQ for now), and 3 carnifexes (You will want Carnifexes!)

Thats basically a playable force that will have many useful models for a larger eventual army.

Other than that I'd say consider a Tyrant, since there amazing. And obviously a codex!

Good luck with these wicked models.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi
    id be interested in this advice too.
    Im in the process of building up a Nid army (just bought 25 gaunts from the ebay of e).
    i like the idea of overcoming the enemy through weight of numbers, but having big stuff to take out tanks. any ideas appreciated?
    (i saw the list for a 750 army on another thread - should i just start with that and then add extra stuff - if so what?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Assault brood and a codex can put you up to 1500pts quick enough. though you'll want to add some fixin's like, a hive tyrant/broodlord/zoanthropes. The Assault brood is a tremendous deal but it needs more synapse. Start there. (Well..start with a codex, but you know what I mean)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi - yeah, but according to the (UK) GW site, the assault brood is no longer available :-/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks
    I was thinking about the Assault Brood but;

"pangloss Hi - yeah, but according to the (UK) GW site, the assault brood is no longer available :-/" that is pretty sad so that may not be an option for me

sorry i don't know how to quote etc -.-;;

I'm thinking, Hive Tyrant, 2 boxes genestealers, 2 boxes gaunts. Also buying a battle force and the codex

I was also going to offer to buy of my friend, who has a broodlord, around 12 genestealers, 3 warriors and 12 gaunts

I think this is a good start, Hive Tyrant + 2 genestealer boxes + 2 gaunt boxes + battleforce + broodlord more genestealers, warriors and gaunts seems to be an okay force?!

If you have the spare time or prevous list, would someone please write-up/post a list with these boxes/models shown up here.

Thanks-
    Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Well...I'm still working mostly off of the Battleforce, I run some expensive units, but with a Zoanthrope, broodlord and some tweaking I got it to 1k, you should have plenty enough to reach into the 2k zone with what you're looking at.

Also I forgot to respond to your list of enemies. you're fighting what's potentially every style of army out there. The next step is for YOU to decide how to go about your army build. Do you want shooty? swarm? Assault? Nidzilla? cheap units, expensive units? Really i'd say with your opponents you'll need just one, strong take-all-comers list, trick is how to go about that though.

I'd say get a battleforce, get your nids together, add a tyrant and whatever odd units you like the look of or think sound neat, and start playing from there. You'll learn what units you like, so you don't accidentally invest in having 45 gargoyles and thinking "I don't really like how these work"

pangloss, I'm sorry to hear that, it was a great deal, I missed it as well.

Souley, you are going to be SWIMMING in models if you buy that much. start basic, look around at the 1k lists people put up and the numbers of models they use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty much thinking mainly on close combat army, considering they're probally the best at it, with rival the orks. I've been lookin' at other peoples lists and what they think about some units. I really like the Lictor, I don't know why. But most people say it doesn't work then others do...I guess its mainly personal prefference and luck of the roll!
    I won't be getting them all at once xmas is still couple months away then my bday is 2 weeks after that. So probally....maybe in a month, then next month xmas, then my bday, I'll probally be getting models
    I was probally just going to focus mainly on, gaunts, stealers, hive tyrant and a broodlord, with some warriors and fexes. I don't know really =\ although, my friend did find this place in aus that can send out the assualt brood so, this means I think I shall change my xmas asking present comes with 57 models, more the mererer lol!
    Although, I love having alot of things, cause when I go to my friends warhammer playdays, I like to whip out new armies and my friends being all "WTF" since when you had that, I'd have like 40 mondels, about 5 painted, the others built lol.
    I was thinking gaunts, stealers, shooty warriors, 2 shooty fexes and 1 cc fex. Making from the Assualt Brood box just so my swarm can have some fire power support

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    190 (x3)

Help is on the Way

Greetings fellow 40K minds

So you're mainly thinking of a close combat army. hmmmm. Personally, I do not deny the effectiveness of them, but, imagine the situation of coming up against, say for example, a squad of Burna Orks, backed up by some Lootas with a Big Mek armed with a Kustom Mega Blasta. If you are unaware of these units, I can sum them up in three words: DEATH, DEATH, and DEATH! I have versed this set up before, and set up a Broodlord with a maxed out brood of 9 Genestealers. They were 12" away in the turn of the Orks, after a horrible roll of 1 on the Fleet die, and after a horrible massacre of 'Scrap-nel', I was left with 4 Stealers and the Broodlord on 2 wounds. Therefore, I say that if you take a close combat squad, you need a shooty one to back it up. If you can spare the points, I say two. The more organisms you can get burrowed into an enemy before you rip them out again, the better.

I'll tell you what I have first, and then break down what you are looking at.

Broodlord
    Toxin Sacs (+1 Strength)
    Extended Carapace (+1 Sv)

Genestealers (x12)
    Extended Carapace
    Feeder Tentrils (x6) (Confers Preferred Enemy)
    Toxin Sacs (x6)

Termagaunts x40
    Extended Carapace x20
    10 Spinefists
    30 Fleshborers

Zoanthrope
    Warp Blast (Powerful Psychic Attack)
    Psychic Scream (Enemy models within 18" suffer -1 to Leadership)

Ravaner
    Scything Talons and Rending Claws (+1 Attack and Rending)

Carnifex (maxed to the WAZOO)
    Scything Talons
    Venom Cannon
    Tusked (+2 Charge A)
    Enhanced Senses (+1 BS)
    Regenerate (Gain a wound on a 6 for every one lost)
    Adrenal Glands (+1 WS)
    Scythe Tail (D3 A, 1/2 S)
    Reinforced Chitin (+1 Wound)
    Spinebanks (Frag Grenades, Spinefist)
    Toxic Miasma (Reduce enemy WS -1)

Phew! Anyway, can't recall points cost, but I believe that I have close combat prowess as well as a Space Marine Chapter load of weaponry. Maybe you could get some ideas of this... Anyway, what I will be getting, after I finish my Dark Eldar army, is another Zoanthrope and more Gaunts.

As for what you want, let's break it down.

Battleforce
    Without doubt, a really effective way of starting. 3 Warriors, 8 Genestealers, 8 Hormogaunts, 8 Gaunts and a Massive Carnifex! Maybe I should getn it. Very effective, however, in my opinion, you would have to make thy Carnifex shooty, to make up for the 4/3 ratio of CC to shooty. Also, even though you can take the 3 Warriors as HQs, you need a more effective HQ. Personally I like the Broodlord. Ignores armour, infiltrates the enemy, and 6 WS! Can't be beat!

Gaunts
    Definitely need these in the numbers. Just taking a small group of them is horrible. It's like shoving a "holier-than-thou" Space Marine in the path of an out of control, hell-bent Land Raider, and attempting Death or Glory.

Stealers
    If you have enough of them (we're talking squads of 10 or more), than they are effective killing machines. However, if you want them to do an even better job, than you need to have faith in the dice. You need the Gaunts to screen them, and pray that the Stealers will get the same Fleet roll as them, so you can shoot filthy slugs, and then kill with even filthier slugs, but with arms!

Shooty Warriors
    Interesting. Personally, I have never used warriors, but have heard that with some stats that do not work in their favour, such as 2 BS, it is going to be very hard to hit with them from their shooting. I have seen a Nid player use three Shooty Warriors against an Eldar player, and let me tell you, it did not really work. Took a Venom Cannon, 2 Deathspitters and 2 Devourers, shot at a squad of Warp Spiders with all the weapons, and only managed to take 1 of 9 of them out. They were then assaulted, and were wiped out. Enemy consolidated, straight into a squad of Genestealers. They did much better, but still did not wipe them out. I saw the expression on the Nid player's face, and I bet he thought, "No close combat weapons on the Warriors? What was I thinking?" I would field one Shooty Warrior, but as I said, for every shooty or CC, you need the opposite. In this case you need two.

2 Shooty Fexes and 1 CC Fex
    That's what I'm talking about! However, the only life or death situation here is what you give them. One Shooty Fex, I believe needs a Venom Cannon. Hands Down. The End. At Strength 10, 36", Assault X, this baby should be targeting vehicles and the HQs. If they fail their save, INSTANT DEATH!!!!!!! I love seeing the face of an enemy after he loses his Warboss, or Farseer after a terrible dice roll. Anyway, I'm getting off subject. I love a Twin-Linked Devourer as well, but that's personal preference. Twin-Linked Deathspitters, work excellent too. It's all a matter of trial and error. See which works best. As for the CC Fex, I use Scything Talons. Can't beat Armour ignoring, +1 or +2 giant, big swords. I ain't a big fan of Crushing Claws. To me, relying on a D6 for your Attacks is just too risky against a squad, or a multiple wound model. I like my 4 Attacks (6 if Charging!) just the way they are. Actually, come to think of it, a Lash Whip could work too. It's all about the Biomorphs as well. Won't go into them, cause I'll blab on for hours.

Assault Brood

I like. However, my only two regrets with this killer box is that it doesn't come with a more proper HQ and more Gaunts. I say again. NEED MORE GAUNTS! What it does benefit from is three Carnifexes. WHOA! Very similar to the Battleforce.

There is one other thing that you cannot go without, otherwise your units will be going crazy and off the edge of the table. A synapse creature. That's why I say, instead of Warriors as your first HQ (they are synapse, but are very weak and fragile for what they are) I would get a Broodlord, not only for that, but also to help your Genestealers. Also to boost your synapse, a Zoanthrope. They benefit from a 2+ Sv and 6+Inv, our armies best Sv. Also, watching your enemies get blown to pieces from Warp Blast adds glee to any day.

Anywho, that's what I think in a nutshell (lol). You have basically got it worked out, just I hope that you can heed some advice from this. Also, if there are any veteran-veteran players who can see anything wrong, I would like to hear. Sorry about the long reply. There was a lot to be said.
    Almost forgot about the armies. As Alzer has said, it depends on what your heart wants. I have versed all of these armies myself, as my friends field them (I filed Dark Eldar), and I don't tend to use a swarm. I like more CC with these armies, with lots of gaunts to screen my more valuable units. And a lot of Extneded Carapace. Can't forget that. However, bear in mind that everything I have told you is how I would go about it. This is just heads up. Do what you want. Play games and if you have any questions, I'll look out for ya.

However, first thing first, CODEX!

Fly High!
    Light a fire for a man, and he will be warm for a night. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

The Allmighty Chaos Boots Process's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x3)

I ahve to agree with teh poster above that said start small.

If I were you I'd start out with just 2 boxes of guants and a Hive tyrant thats plenty for a first game and can be very killy indeed. Besides running a small guant swarm is immensly fun and if you are playing somebody nice they will attempt to play a balanced army vs yours.

Be aware of that painting a tyranid army can take ages. keep it simle and adapt your model count to how much you enjoy painitng. If you abhore it like me maybe you should try nidzilla? if you love it maybe you should go for a an endless swarm of guants?

Try to get a feel for your army before you go all in and buy too much. Don't be afraid to ask permission to proxy a model you want to test.

For cc I would reccomend a large horde to get into cc fast backed by all the monstrous critters you can get. Just keep your fexes dirt cheap.

You may want to try out 2 tyrants 1 flying fully tooled for cc and one VC/barb with 2 guards for shooting then 5 Carnifexes with dual scything and +1WS and mace tail and then a many hormaguants as you can get your hands on comboed with fleshboarer guants.

thats killy fun and not so beardy that nobody wants to play against you.
    What is Aurora Prime?
    "behold, I am the flamer, the searing one, the combustion of all spontanious flash fires, I am process" BIG RED BUTTON!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast