2000 Dark Eldar w/Urien Rakkarth - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

2000 Dark Eldar w/Urien Rakkarth

Another Coven variation for my next installment of the Coven Chronicles.

Here is a list I am trying this weekend - I wanted to try out Urien as he seems to be making it into alot of my lists lately. There is still a nice Coven feel for this list especially with the lack of wych type units. This variation adds a little more CC strength at the HQ level than an all Haemy list and has a little more "shooty-ness" than having 3 talos in the list. Lets see how the Archon and the Ravager do in a semi-coven list. I kinda see as giving up 3 haemy destructors for 3 disintegrator blasts and giving up a Talos CC ability for an Archons.

Archon, punisher, t-helm, shadowfield, combat drugs, plasma grenades, trophy rack, archangel of pain and animus vitae

Urien Rakkarth + 5 Uber-grotesques on a raider, dark lance, horrorfex and nightshields (Archon rides with these guys)

10 Mandrakes

16 warriors, 2 dark lances, sybarite w/poison blades and splinter rifle
    16 warriors, 2 dark lances, sybarite w/poison blades and splinter rifle
    8 warriors, blaster, splinter cannon, sybarite, agoniser, plasma, pistol on a Raider with dark lance, horrorfex and nightshields
    8 warriors, blaster, splinter cannon, sybarite, agoniser, plasma, pistol on a Raider with dark lance, horrorfex and nightshields
    8 warriors, blaster, splinter cannon, sybarite, agoniser, plasma, pistol on a Raider with dark lance, horrorfex

Talos
    Talos
    Ravager 3 disintegrators

Setup: Both 16 man warriors are paired with a Talos with ravager hiding behind. Archon & Urien start on board while the 4 raider squads are placed in reserve.

Game plan: foot warriors support each other looking to camp an objective (and possibly act as bait). The Talos, Archon and Urien move forward while ravager takes shots from the backfield. The raider squads in reserve are preserved for as long as I can until the 5th turn but will support (not initiate) existing threats. Idea is to use the raider squads in finishing up enemy units and using them to claim or contest objectives starting on the 5th turn. Both Talos, the Archon and Urien are to engage and pre-occupy enemy units until the raider squads can bolster the effort.

I've tried this before with 3 raider squads in reserve before and the effect is quite beneficial. My opponent is usually too worried about the Talos and Archon and when my raider squads came on they were forgotten about - the raider squads had easy targets to fire upon and even were able to gang-up on a single target. I can easily see 4 raider squads buzzing around the table on turn 4 and 5 while turbo boosting into scoring or contesting position.

I will give it a go on Sunday and hopefully get a battle report in.

"On a hunch, I melted them down and inhaled the fumes and read the dark eldar codex again, AND FOUND A BUNCH OF NEW RULES HIDDEN BEHIND THE OTHER WORDS..." [Gardeth on modelling & interpreting the DE Codex]

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please do, I'd love to read it. Very interested to see how Urien and his uber-grots get on as I'm thinking of giving him a whirl myself sometime soon
    Nurse by day, Haemonculus by night

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

I really want to write the battle report but they are so much work.

But in a nutshell:

Played against IG and I was able to deliever the Archon from Urien's raider easily. Problem was that the Archon wiped out the heavy weapon squad in one round of combat leaving him open to be shot at by 2 lemon russes.

Urien and the ubers were stayed on the raider until the next turn and they successfully flamed 6 out 10 guardsmen and charged in. The guardsmen were in cover so they went first but thanks to the 5+ armor save they failed to lay a wound on them. Unfortuanately, once again, I wiped out the remaining 4 guardsmen and stood in the open for 2 lemon russes to fire upon them.

I went to ground and miraculuosly only 3 ubers died in all that - next turn I lost the last 2 ubers from 1 of the lemon russes and Urien stood alone. Once Urien was able to move he boarded a nearby raider. Using the new FAQ I positioned the raider (which moved 5") so it could fire at a lemon russ and Urien could fire his destructor at a nearby IG squad of 10. The lemon russ exploded from the dark lance and Urien's destructor shot from the raider and melted 7 IG.

Unfortunately for Urien the remaining lemon fired at the raider and it exploded, wounding and killing Urien in an unlucky sequence of dice rolling.

The lone ravager exploded in the first turn and the 2 talos soaked up the rest of the IG's shooting phase in which I made a series of 4+ saves to keep one of the Talos at one wound and the other at full 3 wounds. He then spent most of his shooting phase in the next turn in trying to kill the 2 talos. This allowed 2 of my flat-out raider squads to reach the gunline and even one of the Talos also made it to the gunline (the other finally died at the end of the 2nd turn).

Wow, I really had a fun game although I did lose (it was a pitched battle with home made killpoint rules). I was a little rusty and made alot of fundamental mistakes in movement and orchestrating the attack. I think I will make a battle report after all with a map to show what worked and what did not.

MVP's - Raider squads horrorfex's (had fun pinning 2 or 3 squads a turn), Talos for soaking up 2 turns of shooting. 1 raider squad rolled 3 different IG units.
    Dog's - Ravager exploded to the first shot from the enemy in the first turn.
    Mis-played Large warrior squads, raider squads, Mandrakes and the Archon + Urien

Changes I would make - go to a 3 lance ravager and perhaps reconsider nightshields.
    "On a hunch, I melted them down and inhaled the fumes and read the dark eldar codex again, AND FOUND A BUNCH OF NEW RULES HIDDEN BEHIND THE OTHER WORDS..." [Gardeth on modelling & interpreting the DE Codex]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like the dice weren't on your side for this one mate (I have a lot of days like this, lol) but it does sound like a fun battle.
    If you do end up writing up a full report (though I agree they're a hassle) make sure to post the link. I like reading exciting battle reports, especially DE ones
    Nurse by day, Haemonculus by night

+ Reply to Thread