1750 Competitive Infantry Base - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1750 Competitive Infantry Base

I have been modifying variations off this list for about 6 months now in attempt to model it to have a tournament style of balance. I have also been play testing it quite often along the way but I have not yet had a chance to play test this particular set up.

Please, all critiques and comments are welcome.

HQ

Elites
    8 Striking Scorpions, Exarch 155
    -Scorpions Claw

Troops
    6 Guardian Jetbikes, Warlock 205
    -2 Shuriken Cannons
    -Embolden
    -Singing Spear
    10 Guardians 95
    -Scatter Laser Platform
    10 Guardians 95
    -Scatter Laser Platform
    10 Wraithguard, Spiritseer 381

Fast Attack
    7 Warp Spiders, Exarch 171
    -Dual Spinners

Heavy Support
    3 War Walkers 180
    -Scatter Lasers
    Wraithlord 155
    -Eldar Missile Launcher
    -Bright Lance
    -2 Flamers
    Wraithlord 155
    -Eldar Missile Launcher
    -Bright Lance
    -2 Flamers

Other lists i constructed seem to have a very flexible style of play and can manage an aggressive or passive role on the battlefield, but again i have not tested this list yet.

Battle plans are as follows:

-Avatar and Scorpions support each other in assaults and counter assault units attempting to lock the anvil
    -Guardians give close fire support to enclosing hordes or assault troops before assaulted by the Avatar and Scorpions
    -Wraithguard behind one Guardian squad and hit advancing tanks, monstrous creatures or other such units
    -either Wraithguard or 1 Guardian squad will break off when necessary to cap or contest a side objective
    -Wraithlords will be behind and beside the Wraitguard for ranged AT support and counter assault threat to keep the Wraithguard out of combat
    -Jetbikes attempt to avoid as much fire by JSJ behind los and cap distant objectives on far flank
    -Warp Spiders on inside of Jetbikes and JSJ attempting to draw enemy into the anvil
    -Jetbikes, Spiders and Walkers will support each other with ranged fire

Thanks
    All comments welcome!

Last edited by jerry_christ; November 14th, 2008 at 06:48.
    As all men must thank the progenitors, so we must endure the present that those who come after may continue the greater work.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

All looks good apart drom the wraithguard which I regard as a huge point sink that will get one shot if you are lucky and then be locked in combat for a long time. Drop them for 20 Dire avengers and a unit of 3 jetbikes. You would also need a warlock in with the guardians to keep the wraithlords mind on the job.

The warpspider exarch needs a power or just drop him for an extra guy. Hit & run and powerblades would be my choice.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for posting, i appreciate a new perspective.

In the general battle plans of the army i explained the positioning of the Wraithguard unit. I cant picture 4 different enemy assault units with the soul purpose of locking my Wraithguard getting through the anvil and into the Wraithguard without being depleted greatly and then assaulted by supporting units. I know they are very weak in combat, but in previous games I manage to avoid enemy units and in only a few unlucky situations have they been locked. Also, if i drop them it will significantly decrease the amount of Anti-tank. I never liked using Dire Avengers on foot unless with a PW/SS/Defend and supporting the Avatar in combat for -1 attack. Otherwise i use them wtih Dual Catapults/Bladestorm and in a Wave Serpent in combination with another unit to create a mobile wing. 3 Guardian Jetbikes would be almost useless as they will be an easy KP in Annihilation and will not create enough power in any other situation. A spiritseer is in the Wraithguard unit and the Wraithlords (as i said) will be right beside them, so i see no need for a warlock in the Guardian unit.

A Warp Spider Exarch equipped like this will get off the same amount of shots as 2 Warp Spiders but with BS5 and will cost less points. IMHO an Exarch should only be armed with Powerblades and Withdraw when they are 10 strong and are going to be dedicated to a supporting assault.
    As all men must thank the progenitors, so we must endure the present that those who come after may continue the greater work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

I wonder why there is no farseer to fortune the wg or the avatar both become much tougher with fortune.

I don't have tons of experience with wg but even against power weapon troops they do ok as most will need a 6 to wound, just have to worry about the powerfists, and rends. the withdraw may not be a bad idea as your wg could get locked in CC a bunch of attacks on the charge from spiders would help and then you could even hit and run out of the combat and let the tough guard hold the enemy.

Have you had a problem with people killing your guardian screen? they have no cover save and low numbers would seem like a small amount of fire would kill them leaving the wg open to high str shots with out a cover save to fall back on. I've always run wg with warlock using conceal to give them a save but if this works you could give the warlock a destructor for some extra horde killing or an enhance to make them a bit better at holding in CC WS, I, and S all at 5 is nothing to laugh at.

last thought is that wg short range guns don't make them very good at shooting stuff if they are behind other units. WG have always seemed to me as the shield that the rest of the army hides behind, would like to hear how well reversing that does for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, this is actually the first style of this list where i didnt include a Farseer with Fortune! But im gonna be testing it tomorrow and i will tell you how the WG and Avatar fair this way. But i do know that Fortuned Wraithguard are damn near impenetrable. But i decided i wanted to go for a more 'elitest' force and replaced the Farseer to make room for both the Scorpions and the Spiders.

The way i see it is that Warp Spiders are the practical equivalent of Guardians when attacking in assaults, so them supporting the Wraithguard i dont see going too well. Also, if i was following the general battle plans i had posted, it would take the Spiders quite some time to get there, and with the pile in rule i dont think i will be able to fit 2 more supporting assault units into 1 combat. The Guardians on the other hand are always right beside them and the anvils fire (im hoping) will weaken the assaulting unit before it assaults (that is, if the enemy unit isnt assaulted first). Keeping my Wraithguard out of combat is a pretty high priority in the list, so i tend to find one way or another to do so.

I cant imagine the Guardians running into any problems not finding cover, as it is plentiful on the battlefield. Also in one of my previous lists i had a Warlock with Conceal in the Wraithguard unit, for the purpose of protecting them against Battle Cannons (IG are my most hated faction) and the like.

IMO Wraithguard are too damn valuable to be used as meatshields. And if they are they are much more likely to be assaulted as they spearhead the army.

Thanks again for posting! Keep the comments coming.

(@nakuru i will post a battle log in this thread about how the game went down and what army i played)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like the way this list works on the field! I played this:

CSM Lord MOK DW MB 145
    Tzeentch DP Wings Warptime Wind of choas 205
    10 Zerks Champ PW MB 245
    10 Zerks Champ PW MB 245
    8 T-sons Sorcerer BOC 246
    2 Oblits 150
    2 Oblits 150
    8 Terminators 7 Pair LC 1 Chain fist Hvyflamer IOK 360

I think this lists lack of range was my key to winning. He deployed first on his left objective in a secure and control pitched battle game. And i forced his army to slog across the field in attempts to engage me on the other side. I took out his Daemon Prince in the first turn after he moved him up with my Walkers and my Spiders, while the Lords concentrated on the obliterators one squad at a time and 1 unit of them was off by the second turn. His oblits mainly fired at the Wraithguard and in about third turn the Wraithguard shot the terminators, thinning them out and then the Wraithlord and Avatar assaulted. Then his 1 squad of berzerkers was coming in while the other and the sons were holding his objective. (my bikes were on mine with the guardians close in front) Anyways... it ended up me contesting his rear objective with a Wraithlord, Striking Scorpions and Warp Spiders (almost untouched) while i held mine with 4 Wraithguard and a unit of Guardians and my Bikes blocked off passage for his remaining 2 Oblits to contest my objective. The 2 Oblits were the only remaining Chaos on the board by turn 7.

Now i know it does well against MEQ armies and assault oriented armies, i hope to play against something like IG or Tau firing lines as well as Meched lists, but i feel confident against hordes. I will post another battle log soon!

Im still open to all comments if anyone has anything else to add!

+ Reply to Thread