Thinking about starting 1850 Raider Pirates!!!! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Thinking about starting 1850 Raider Pirates!!!!

HQ

Archon
    -Plasma Grenades
    -Tormentor Helm
    -Trophy Rack
    -Punisher
    -Shadowfield
    -Incubi Retinue x 8
    -Raider

Drazhar

ELITES

Wych Squad x 10
    -Succubus w/ Power Weapon
    - Hydraknives
    - Shardnet and impaler
    - Razorsnare and Falchion
    - Plasma Grenades
    - Raider

TROOPS

Raider Squad x 10
    -Dark Lance
    -Sybarite w/ Dark Lance
    -Raider w/ Disintegrator

Raider Squad x 10
    -Dark Lance
    -Sybarite w/ Dark lance
    -Raider w/ Disintegrator

Raider Squad x 6
    -Splinter Cannon
    -Raider

Raider Squad x 6
    -Splinter Cannon
    -Raider

Raider Squad
    -Splinter Cannon
    -Raider w/ Disintegrator

Raider Squad
    -Splinter Cannon
    -Raider w/ Disintegrator

HEAVY SUPPORT

Ravager
    -3 x Disintegrator

Ravager
    -3 x Disintegrator

Ravager
    -3 x Disintegrator

TOTAL POINTS = 1849

7 Raiders
    3 Ravagers
    64 Troops

8 Dark Lances
    11 Disintegrators
    4 Splinter Cannons
    36 Splinter Rifles
    9 Punishers

Since Dark Eldar are Pirates & Slavers for the most part, it seemed most fitting to start with a Raider List. I imagines how a group of good ol' space pirates would attack, and here's the tactics that I thought up to accompany the list:

Deployment:

Only the Archon's Group and the Wyches start in their raiders. The 5 empty raiders attempt to circle around the enemy while the other 2 charge towards appropriate targets. Dark Lances focus their fire on transports/tanks for turns 1 & 2, then against monstrous creatures or anything else that needs to be taken care of for the remainder of the game. Ravagers obliterate groups of enemy troops & other needed targets. With 15 different targets to shoot at on turn 1, I'm hoping that enough of my stuff will survive to do some damage.

I must admit that I can't find any rules for the extra vehicle upgrades anywhere, and the only codex that I have access to is the basic version.

Please give me your thoughts & ideas! Thanks!

Currently Playing:
    Fantasy: Daemons (Angels), 40k: Black Templars

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    190 (x3)

Alright, spaar, I'll break this down. Hope you do consider DE. They're better than what everyone says:

PS: I understand you do not have the actual Codex, and it seems you have a few points cost wrong. I will tell you otherwise, to give you a more heads-up kind of approach when deciding what to with this afterwards.

HQ
    Firstly, I would like to correct you on the points for this unit. The total is only 462. I do not understand where the extra 30 points come from, but I am assuming it is a mistake. As to the actual squad itself, I just feel that 8 Incubi, including Drazhar, is overkill. 4 or 5 is a good number, or 2-3 with Drazhar. Especially if you consider putting them in a Raider. You just can't risk them getting slaughtered early on. This is just my opinion, remember that. Drazhar is good with few Incubi; this is the word that goes on around here.

ELITES
    With the points that you could free up from disregarding a few Incubi, you could buy yourself another Wych squad, as you would always need another to back up the other if they fail. Wych Suucubi with Power Weapons are good, but Wych Succubi with Agonizers are even better. You can take out SMurfs that much easier, and Wyches are especially adept at going after those high Toughness opponents and pesky flankers. I do not want to sound like I am having a go at you, because I am truly not, but your points cost a little muddled. This squad costs 218 points, and is a little high in my opinion. Consider brining it under 200 by removing two from the squad. Oh, and one Blaster; you want to try and even the score before you go charging in. Otherwise, a fairly good job with thethe essential elements of them.

TROOPS
    Some pretty goo diversity here. Kudos! However, I would consider a foot slogging Warrior Squad with 2 DLs, so you can keep them at the back with your Ravagers and lay down some serious firepower! HIIIIYAH! Anyway, with Raider Squads, the basic idea is to assault with these guys, and so some of these squads would be better off with a Splinter Cannon than a DL, and give the Sybarite a special CC Weapon. Poisoned Blades are cheap, and for what they do they can be quite effective. If you have the points, I like to consider a Punisher. Punisher are mainly used for troop slaughtering and HQ hunting, so make sure you protect that Raider if you consider this. I have noticed that you do not have any Blasters in the army. They are EXCELLENT mini DLs, and are a valuable asset when charging into CC. If you are versing an army other than SMurfs, consider putting at least one Horrofex (pinning blast template) on a Raider. They really help when charging too. The shooting and charging aid each other in a close union in the DE; do not forget that.

HEAVY SUPPORT
    3 Ravagers are always the best Heavy Support you can take in an army, and they do the best job out of any in shooting the enemy from afar. DO NOT CHARGE INTO CC! They are just too valuable to lose, and should always stay as far away from the enemy as possible. Especially when you have those Night Shields on (extends enemy's firing range by 6"). A heads up here. Some points cost for Vehicle Upgrades are different from Ravagers to Raiders. Keep that in mind when deciding what you want. But hands dowm, take Night Shields. Also, I would make one Ravager an entirely DL oriented one, as Dissies are mainly for units that are in high numbers, DLs are for those pesky high armored models. Otherwise, goo choice!

Right, I think that is everything. You have a very good fundamental understanding of the DE. Tread carefully when surrounding the enemy with the Raiders. You really need to seek cover, and if there is hardly around, especially none where you can't get around the back of the enemy, it isn't the best idea. There will be flankers from the other army too, and you could get in a crossfire, and if it is their turn, kiss them goodbye.

Anywho, have fun the DE! IF you choose them, which I hope you will!

Fly High!
    Light a fire for a man, and he will be warm for a night. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkuli View Post
    Alright, spaar, I'll break this down. Hope you do consider DE. They're better than what everyone says:

Good to hear that.

PS: I understand you do not have the actual Codex, and it seems you have a few points cost wrong. I will tell you otherwise, to give you a more heads-up kind of approach when deciding what to with this afterwards.

I'm thinking that perhaps the printing without the new vehicle upgrades (which is the one that is at my store) might account for the point differences.

HQ
    Firstly, I would like to correct you on the points for this unit. The total is only 462. I do not understand where the extra 30 points come from, but I am assuming it is a mistake. As to the actual squad itself, I just feel that 8 Incubi, including Drazhar, is overkill. 4 or 5 is a good number, or 2-3 with Drazhar. Especially if you consider putting them in a Raider. You just can't risk them getting slaughtered early on. This is just my opinion, remember that. Drazhar is good with few Incubi; this is the word that goes on around here.

Yes, this squad is really nasty in CC. I had been toying with the idea of dropping 4 Incubi in order to fit in another wych unit, and it is still something that I will consider. I have to test and see how fragile this squad is in order to decided whether I can get away with only 6 members in it. I'm a little worried about the raider getting shot down, the unit gets pinned, and by the time they get back up again they are either completely destroyed or have too few to do any damage. Regardless, this is the most likely change that I will be making to the list after playtesting.

ELITES
    With the points that you could free up from disregarding a few Incubi, you could buy yourself another Wych squad, as you would always need another to back up the other if they fail. Wych Suucubi with Power Weapons are good, but Wych Succubi with Agonizers are even better. You can take out SMurfs that much easier, and Wyches are especially adept at going after those high Toughness opponents and pesky flankers. I do not want to sound like I am having a go at you, because I am truly not, but your points cost a little muddled. This squad costs 218 points, and is a little high in my opinion. Consider brining it under 200 by removing two from the squad. Oh, and one Blaster; you want to try and even the score before you go charging in. Otherwise, a fairly good job with thethe essential elements of them.

Again, points are probably because of the printing of the codex that I have. I like the idea of the blaster in the squad, and I'll try and find the points for an agonizer.

TROOPS
    Some pretty goo diversity here. Kudos! However, I would consider a foot slogging Warrior Squad with 2 DLs, so you can keep them at the back with your Ravagers and lay down some serious firepower! HIIIIYAH!

The 2 squads with 10 members & 2 Dark Lances (1 on the Sybarite) are exactly this. They will almost always start outside their raider so that they can take care of any tanks and such.

Anyway, with Raider Squads, the basic idea is to assault with these guys, and so some of these squads would be better off with a Splinter Cannon than a DL, and give the Sybarite a special CC Weapon. Poisoned Blades are cheap, and for what they do they can be quite effective. If you have the points, I like to consider a Punisher. Punisher are mainly used for troop slaughtering and HQ hunting, so make sure you protect that Raider if you consider this. I have noticed that you do not have any Blasters in the army. They are EXCELLENT mini DLs, and are a valuable asset when charging into CC. If you are versing an army other than SMurfs, consider putting at least one Horrofex (pinning blast template) on a Raider. They really help when charging too. The shooting and charging aid each other in a close union in the DE; do not forget that.

The lack of blasters come as a result of the raider units being shooty instead of CC oriented.

HEAVY SUPPORT
    3 Ravagers are always the best Heavy Support you can take in an army, and they do the best job out of any in shooting the enemy from afar. DO NOT CHARGE INTO CC! They are just too valuable to lose, and should always stay as far away from the enemy as possible. Especially when you have those Night Shields on (extends enemy's firing range by 6"). A heads up here. Some points cost for Vehicle Upgrades are different from Ravagers to Raiders. Keep that in mind when deciding what you want. But hands dowm, take Night Shields. Also, I would make one Ravager an entirely DL oriented one, as Dissies are mainly for units that are in high numbers, DLs are for those pesky high armored models. Otherwise, goo choice!

I see what you mean, but it seems to me that the disintegrators are much better at taking out troops, which is what I built them for (they're plasma cannons in the book that I have, did they change their strength/ap in other books?). Perhaps I need fewer splinter cannons, however, and more blasters/dark lances instead. I will have to playtest both of them.

Right, I think that is everything. You have a very good fundamental understanding of the DE. Tread carefully when surrounding the enemy with the Raiders. You really need to seek cover, and if there is hardly around, especially none where you can't get around the back of the enemy, it isn't the best idea. There will be flankers from the other army too, and you could get in a crossfire, and if it is their turn, kiss them goodbye.

Anywho, have fun the DE! IF you choose them, which I hope you will!

Fly High!
    My biggest fear with this list is that Raiders are just too fragile and that none of them will last throughout the game. Thank you very much for the feedback and I will have to incorporate some of the changes that you have suggested.
    Currently Playing:
    Fantasy: Daemons (Angels), 40k: Black Templars

+ Reply to Thread