1850/2000 Hybrid Eldar Tournament - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    It came from the warp... Fleeting Ęther's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x2)

1850/2000 Hybrid Eldar Tournament

I'd like to say first off, that I have never played a tourney, and that I may go to some in the future, but at the moment I'd like to finish honing my ability to play this type of Eldar list, as I have little experience vs. anyone other than my brother (Dark Angels/Ravenwing, and IG), so my range of experience is rather limited. That, and the fact I've only actually played about 10-12 games of 40K. Despite how little I've played the game, I've been studying the Eldar Codex and online resources such as this site for the last 7 years (the last 2.5 or so are when I actually started playing games and collecting the majority of my force which is now at about 3000 points worth.) Anyways, I'd like some commentary on whether these lists would fair well in a competitive setting, from what I've read, it seems like they would, although it would be a bit more difficult to pull off properly due to not being entirely mech, which is why I need more practice before I even consider signing up for a tournament.

2000 Points Altansar Eldar
    ==HQ== 8.8%
    [83] Farseer + Doom, Singing Spear
    [98] Farseer + Doom, Singing Spear, Runes of Warding
    ==Troops== 44.8%
    [152] 10x Dire Avengers + Exarch, Dual Avenger Shuriken Catapults, Bladestorm
    --[145]Wave Serpent + Spirit Stones, EML, Shuriken Cannon
    [152]-10x Dire Avengers + Exarch, Dual Avenger Shuriken Catapults, Bladestorm
    [144] 6 Pathfinders
    [158] 12 Guardian Defenders + Warlock, Spiritseer, Conceal, Scatter Laser
    ==Elites== 19.8%
    [212] 10 Striking Scorpions + Exarch, Scorpion's Claw, Shadowstrike, Stalker
    [184] 7 Harlequins + Shadowseer, 7 Harlequin's Kiss
    ==Fast Attack== 10.75%
    [215] 9 Warp Spiders + Exarch, Dual Death Spinners
    ==Heavy Support== 15.5%
    [155] Wraithlord + EML, Bright Lance
    TOTAL-1998

=================================

1850 Points Altansar Eldar
    ==HQ== 5.2%
    [98] Farseer + Doom, Singing Spear, Runes of Warding
    ==Troops== 46.2%
    [152] 10x Dire Avengers + Exarch, Dual Avenger Shuriken Catapults, Bladestorm
    [152]-10x Dire Avengers + Exarch, Dual Avenger Shuriken Catapults, Bladestorm
    [120] 5 Pathfinders
    [142] 10 Guardian Defenders + Warlock, Spiritseer, Conceal, Scatter Laser
    ==Elites== 19.6%
    [180] 8 Striking Scorpions + Exarch, Scorpion's Claw, Shadowstrike, Stalker
    [184] 7 Harlequins + Shadowseer, 7 Harlequin's Kiss
    ==Fast Attack== 11.6%
    [215] 9 Warp Spiders + Exarch, Dual Death Spinners
    ==Heavy Support== 16.7%
    TOTAL-1843

I think the lists are pretty solid, and from one of my earlier army list threads, apparently so do several people on here. There's a bit of wiggle room for changing up the number of models in the squads, as they're all under 23 points a piece and most of the squads are not max-sized.

-Farseer rides in a serpent dooming my targets
    -Dire Avengers apply massed fire upon doomed targets with bladestorm
    -Pathfinders hold my home objective and snipe MC's/Terminators
    -Guardians hold out with the Pathfinders and serve as the seer for my wraithlords shoud I choose to leave them gunning from my side of the table
    -Scorpions infiltrate and assault squads that are isolated/bladestormed
    -Harlequins form a counter-assault unit for my side of the table or if permitted, advance carefully to slaughter infantry. Also used as a seer for the wraithlord if I need to keep the guardians in a position where the wraithlord can't be due to a need to gain better fire lanes/stay out of fire
    -Warp Spiders shred infantry and if possible, attack AV12 and below vehicles if needed and able
    -Wraithlords are dedicated AT and anti-infantry if no tanks present themselves or are already gone

Last edited by Fleeting Ęther; December 3rd, 2008 at 03:21.
    Scratchbuilding Fire Prism Crystals
    2K Mech Eldar in 2010: 25Win/4Lose/8Draw

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As you know from my previous posts I realy like these lists. You have hit the nail on the head the most difficult aspect of making these lists realy effective in a tournament envoronment is in preventing them as opperating as two sepparate lists that your opponent can isolate and destroy piecmeal, this as you have laredy pointed out requires lots of practice against as many opponemts as you can get. Having used similar lists i have found that the WS can be the key to keeping the two elements linked and probably the other very obvious point with such lists keep the mobile elements of the army mobile don't let them become bogged down in CC. I am sure you will do well, its a great list and you are already aware of the most important factor in success with an Eldar army, practice!

It came from the warp... Fleeting Ęther's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x2)

Thanks for the reply! I guess I just need to finish getting my four Striking Scorpions, a Wave Serpent, and paint the rest of my army so I can be ready for a torunament after I get in more practice. I ran this list against my brother (the 2k list) and though I did beat him in the end of it, neither of us have a lot of tabletop games under our belts and my skills in using this list are not as sharp as I'd like them to do, several units I deployed in bad positions and I misused my CC elements which resulted in them getting destroyed rather quickly. Of course, deployment is a huge part in the success of an Eldar army, and if done improperly, can shatter your otherwise perfect plan.

I've done some reading on some other 40K websites, and my list seems to have a lot of the units that are ideal to have against those extremist armies like IG (mass infantry) or Death Guard (T5 Feel No Pain, yuck). Although Harlequins are arguably not as overall useful as Banshees, when Harlequins are needed to bring down an enemy that Banshees couldn't, (T7+) they will truly shine and take the weight off the rest of my army when it's most needed.
    Last edited by Fleeting Ęther; December 6th, 2008 at 08:29.
    Scratchbuilding Fire Prism Crystals
    2K Mech Eldar in 2010: 25Win/4Lose/8Draw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

I don't have much to comment on list-wise, but I would say that going to tourneys are pretty fun, and you should try one when you get the chance. They are definitely different than friendly games as game play tends to go faster, and sometimes, you won't make it to the end of the game.

With the way tournaments run around here, I sometimes build tourney armies with the idea that I won't make it past turn 4.

Remember that objective grabbing is what to try for in most cases. In Anninilation missions, go for easy kills and don't let up on a unit until it's dead.

A bit off topic, but I thought it might be helpful.
    Arvan'drynn Craftworld - 15,000pts (deceased)
    Tau - 2,000 points (atomized while on patrol)

+ Reply to Thread