1,000 pts Defensive, casual, all-comers. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1,000 pts Defensive, casual, all-comers.

Hi, I've put this list together to take on people at my local (well, most local) GW. There are lots of people there so I could be facing anything, but I have two friends who play 1,000 pts lists of Guard and Khorne respectively. Will play them sometimes, but not exclusively by any means.

HQ

Farseer
    Guide
    Fortune
    Spirit Stones
    Wards of Witnessing
    Singing Spear

Troops

10 Dire Avengers
    Exarch
    Power Weapon & Shimmershield
    Bladestorm
    Defend

5 Pathfinders

20 Guardians
    Bright Lance
    Warlock with Conceal

Fast Attack

6 Swooping Hawks
    Exarch
    Sunrifle
    Skyleap
    Intercept

Heavy Support

Wraith Lord
    Bright Lance
    Eldar Missile Launcher
    2 Flamers

Total: 998

Farseer goes with the guardians and uses his powers on them. Guardians stand at the feet of the WL to provide partial cover and stop enemy assualting it. Avengers take a flank. Pathfinders infiltrate into cover and use their pinning to hold back enemy advance and mop up near dead units, plus pick of Characters/ MCs. Hawks pick a tank, drops on safest side in assault range, empty guns into nearest squad and hits tank with haywire grenades. Next turn they jump and repeat (can they jump out and in again on the same turn?). Grenade drop is nice, easy repositioning is handy, can get them out of dodgy combats safely and make last turn drop on objective. MEQs could be a problem. To run this list all I need is one box of guards and hawks apiece., but I don't mind splashing out a little more. Your thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

It came from the warp... Fleeting Ęther's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by NotQuiteDave View Post
    Hi, I've put this list together to take on people at my local (well, most local) GW. There are lots of people there so I could be facing anything, but I have two friends who play 1,000 pts lists of Guard and Khorne respectively. Will play them sometimes, but not exclusively by any means.

HQ

Farseer
    Guide
    Fortune
    Spirit Stones
    Wards of Witnessing
    Singing Spear
    The runes are generally considered not worth it. True that they do increase the chance of you passing the test and getting double 6's is almost impossible with it, but your chances of getting double one's increases by quite a bit.

Troops

10 Dire Avengers
    Exarch
    Bladestorm
    Defend
    Looks good for a foot-slogging squad of DA's.

5 Pathfinders
    Pathfinders are always nice for holding down your deployment zone objectives. Just don't rely on them for pinning, it's not reliable enough to truly use as a strategy.

20 Guardians
    Bright Lance
    Warlock with Conceal
    Guardians squads are usually taken in numbers in less than 15 unless used in a guardian spam army. Bright Lances are usually considered a waste of points on guardians due to their BS of 3, however since your Farseer is guiding them, it could be used still, most people prefer Scatter Lasers though, as they are much cheaper and 4 Str 6 shots is nothing to be laughed at.

Fast Attack

6 Swooping Hawks
    Exarch
    Sunrifle
    Skyleap
    Intercept
    Regarded as pretty much worthless in 5th edition, especially if you're going to go out and buy them as opposed to already having some. Their one purpose in fourth, which was haywiring tanks, is no longer a very useful tactic in fifth. Overall, they'll just disappoint you as they most likely die off and fail to kill anything.

Heavy Support

Wraith Lord
    Bright Lance
    Eldar Missile Launcher
    2 Flamers
    Good

Total: 998

Farseer goes with the guardians and uses his powers on them. Guardians stand at the feet of the WL to provide partial cover and stop enemy assualting it. Avengers take a flank. Pathfinders infiltrate into cover and use their pinning to hold back enemy advance and mop up near dead units, plus pick of Characters/ MCs. Hawks pick a tank, drops on safest side in assault range, empty guns into nearest squad and hits tank with haywire grenades. Next turn they jump and repeat (can they jump out and in again on the same turn?). Grenade drop is nice, easy repositioning is handy, can get them out of dodgy combats safely and make last turn drop on objective. MEQs could be a problem. To run this list all I need is one box of guards and hawks apiece., but I don't mind splashing out a little more. Your thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    I highly recomend getting at least one close-combat squad using the points saved from the swooping hawks and guardians. Howling Banshees are regarded as one of our strongest CC units, but due to their 4+ save are usually transported in Wave Serpents. Seeing as this is a foot-slogging army I'd go with either Striking Scorpions in a squad of 6-10 (8-10 preferably,) or a squad of Harlequins numbering 6-7 with Harlequins kisses and a shadowseer. The harlequins are a VERY fragile unit if not used properly though as they only have T3 and a 5+ invuln save, which means even a volley of bolter fire will probably shred the squad to near worthless. I'm not trying to persuade you away from Harlequins per say, but they are probably one of the toughest units in all of 40K to learn how to use properly.
    Scratchbuilding Fire Prism Crystals
    2K Mech Eldar in 2010: 25Win/4Lose/8Draw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Fleeting Ęther. This is how the list is looking now:

HQ

Farseer
    Guide
    Fortune
    Spirit Stones
    Singing Spear

Elites

10 Howling Banshees
    Wave Serpent
    Twin-Linked Eldar Missile Launcher

Troops

10 Dire Avengers
    Exarch
    Bladestorm
    Defend

5 Pathfinders

10 Guardians
    Scatter Laser
    Warlock with Conceal

Heavy Support

Wraith Lord
    Bright Lance
    Eldar Missile Launcher
    2 Flamers

Total: 1,000

I've taken on board most of what you said but have decided to go with the banshees in the ws. reasons being that the three things that I was concerned about when making the list were 1) near total lack of anti-MEQ 2) a bit short on anti-tank, and 3) being the only big target, the wl will attract an unhealthy amount of fire power. The banshees in the ws address all three of these issues, plus make the list come to exactly 1,000 pts. Some things are just made to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NotQuiteDave View Post
    Thanks Fleeting Ęther. This is how the list is looking now:

HQ

Farseer
    Guide
    Fortune
    Spirit Stones
    Singing Spear

Who are you guiding? The only decent choice would be the Dire Avengers. I would consider dropping the spirit stones and Guide and using those points to add a Banshee Exarch with Executioner. I6 and S5 power weapon in CC? Very useful against Marines, where your normal Banshees will only wound on a 5+, as opposed to the Exarch on 3+.

Elites

10 Howling Banshees
    Wave Serpent
    Twin-Linked Eldar Missile Launcher

Maybe Spirit Stones on the Wave Serpent...and if you're worried about Anti-tank, maybe changing to twin-linking Brightlances instead.

Troops

10 Dire Avengers
    Exarch
    Bladestorm
    Defend

Excellent choice. I'm using the same set up and really liking it. Heavy threat in shooting and a decent force to hold a CC unit for a turn or two.

5 Pathfinders

10 Guardians
    Scatter Laser
    Warlock with Conceal

Heavy Support

Wraith Lord
    Bright Lance
    Eldar Missile Launcher
    2 Flamers

I believe you can only shoot 1 weapon if you move 6", and this configuration -while multipurposed- seems like it would be a bigger threat if constantly closing in on the enemy. Maybe just go with the EML? Or swap it for a sword? Blasting away with the EML as it continuously closes in...

Total: 1,000

I've taken on board most of what you said but have decided to go with the banshees in the ws. reasons being that the three things that I was concerned about when making the list were 1) near total lack of anti-MEQ 2) a bit short on anti-tank, and 3) being the only big target, the wl will attract an unhealthy amount of fire power. The banshees in the ws address all three of these issues, plus make the list come to exactly 1,000 pts. Some things are just made to be.
    Hopefully some of those are decent ideas...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

Monstrous Creatures have the relentless USR now, I believe. This allows them to move and fire with all weapons. I don't have my rulebook in front of me right now, but I am pretty sure about this.
    Arvan'drynn Craftworld - 15,000pts (deceased)
    Tau - 2,000 points (atomized while on patrol)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You need doom for your banshee's, so drop guide to get it. I'd drop the missile launcher on the wriathlord for a scatter laser, that way you have more shots to pop transports. I'd then drop a banshee to add an exarch with executioner.

+ Reply to Thread