1500 pt. Evil Sunz Speed Freaks - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 pt. Evil Sunz Speed Freaks

This is my first attempt at an Ork list. My base of models is coming from two AOBR boxes, which I plan to augment with other stuff. That's the only real reason I'm using the deffkoptas...I'd be open to replacing them with something else.

HQ:

Warboss (powerklaw, TL big shoota, bosspole, cybork body)

Big Mek w/ Kustom Force Field

Troops:

12 Slugga Boys (w. Nob with PK and bosspole)
    Trukk with red paint, grot riggas, stikkbomb chucka)

12 Slugga Boys (w. Nob with PK and bosspole)

11 Slugga Boys (w. Nob with PK and bosspole)

8 Nobz (1 power klaw, 1 kombi-scorcha, 'eavy armor, painboy, waaagh banner)
    Battlewagon w/ Killcannon, red paint, 4 big shootas, reinforced ram, stikkbomb chucka

Fast Attack:

6 warbikers (w. Nob with PK and bosspole)

4 Deffkoptas w/ TL rokkits

Should be 1500 exactly.

The warboss goes with the nobz in the battlewagon and the mek goes in a trukk with the 11-boy squad.

Any thoughts? Should the Koptas be replaced with something else? I'm a little concerned about this list's ability to handle really heavy armor, like land raiders and whatnot. Right n ow all I can do against armor 14 vehicles is blast away with Str 8 rokkits and hope to blow off weapons and stun it until the warboss can assault it, since he's the only one who can actually score penetrating hits on armor 14.

Last edited by JoshTheStampede; December 18th, 2008 at 19:13.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    83 (x1)

Hey, Josh,

I really don't have experience to comment on speed freaks, but I did want to note something about koptas, rokkits, and Armor 14.

Should the Koptas be replaced with something else? I'm a little concerned about this list's ability to handle really heavy armor, like land raiders and whatnot. Right n ow all I can do against armor 14 vehicles is blast away with Str 8 rokkits and hope to blow off weapons and stun
    Having the unit of Deffkoptas as 4 means that if you lose a single kopta to superior fire power (just about anyone else) then you'll be forced to take a morale check and you'd have a 32% chance of failing and then risking having the other 3 koptas flee right off the map! I believe that's why a number of guys suggest either taking 3 units of 1 or a single unit of 5!

Concerning armor 14: Actually, based upon the rules on page 60 of the hardback 5th edition rulebook a glancing hit could cause a weapon destoryed or even a immobilized and if you do enough of these they would "upgrade" to a a destroyed vehicle wreck...so just keep blasting that Land Raider with Rokkits and eventually it will fall apart, but it'll take a lot of 6's for the AP roll and 5 or 6's on the Damage table!

Russ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, good point on the 4-kopta unit being a problem. I can't do 3 units of 1, since I already have a squad of bikers so I only have 2 FA choices left. Any thoughts on what's expendable enough to make it back to 5 koptas? Or should I do 2 units of 2? Or just 2 units of 1 and free up points for other things? Or, possibly, just scrap the koptas altogether and throw in a looted wagon with boomgun and 2 rokkits? The wagon is cheaper, even, and would allow for a few extra nobs in the battlewagon mob.

Also, good call on the possibility of eventually taking out armor 14. I missed that sentence originally.
    Last edited by JoshTheStampede; December 18th, 2008 at 20:50.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    83 (x1)

Definitely don't take 2 units of 2 deffkoptas because losing 1 means you've lost 50% and then you're guaranteed to flee! Hmmm, to be honest if you really want a 5th deffkopta you could start be dropping all the stickbomb chuckas to free up nearly half the needed points...

I don't have much experience yet, but from a number crunching side, an Orks initiative is already terrible and unless you're fighting other orks you'll probably attack last anyways even with stickbombs, so I'd vote to get rid of them...the rest of the list is pretty tight so I'm not sure what to change.

I'd almost say just take 2 units of 1 Deffkopta, it fits the speed freak theme, rules/points wise they seem like a good alternative to rokkit buggies (although I have no experience for comparison). The only thing that would make me nervous is that's a lot less heavy fire power...then again you have a lot of PKs in your army, but they aren't as mobile as the rokkits.

On a different note...I noticed you took a painboy but didn't put Cybork Bodies on the Nobz and instead opted for 'eavy armor. I'm really just more curious then anything and I guess it's a matter of opinion, but for the same points the 'eavy armor could be traded for an invulnerable save. This would be at the cost of some odds of course, but at least you'll always get a chance to save before the feel no pain roll.

Russ
    Last edited by russ_c; December 18th, 2008 at 22:24.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, the 'heavy armor over the cybork bodies on the nobz is really a wysiwyg issue. I'd have to convert all my existing nob models to show the cybork, and that's not really an option for me at the moment. But I did consider it. And if I ever get the urge to mod up some cyborks, I would probably replace the Eavy with the Cybork body.

You're right about the stikkboms not being worth it for Boyz. I'll drop the chuckas off the three trucks and remove one Nob from the Nob unit, leaving 7, and that gives me room for a 5th Kopta. The stikkbombs are actually worth it for the Nobz, who have init 4 when they charge, so they can at least tie against MEQs. Those I'll leave on the battlewagon.

In the long run, though, I think I am better off dropping the koptas altogether and getting a looted wagon with boomgun and 2 rokkits. That and the battlewagon will give me a strong base of fire to soften up infantry before the Boyz wave gets there, to soften them up even more for the Nob/Warboss hammer to really hit home.

+ Reply to Thread