1000 pt First time with Tyranids - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000 pt First time with Tyranids

Actually, my first time with 40k (though I've played a game using the Blackreach set and have read up on the rules). I'm planning on getting the Tyranid Assault Brood starter set (24 gaunts, 16 genestealers, 6 tyranid warriors, 3 carnifexes) plus a Hive Tyrant and Broodlord.

From looking at various threads and army lists here I've decided to try an army using the warrior build in this thread plus a few other things. As much as I hate not using carnifexes, this sounds like it could be a powerful combo.

How's this look?

HQ
    Hive Tyrant
    2 TLD + Winged + WF + ES + TS 196
    Broodlord
    FT + EC 83
    -Retinue (10 genestealers)
    EC + ST + FH = 250

TROOPS
    Spinegaunts (12)
    SF = 60
    Spinegaunts (12)
    SF = 60
    Genestealers (6)
    EC + ST + FH = 150

ELITE
    Warriors (5)
    DS + ST + TS = 155
    ->Warriors (1)
    BS + ST + TS = 36

Total: 990

Last edited by transplanar; January 3rd, 2009 at 19:53. Reason: Removed individual upgrade point costs

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Assault Brood is an excellent investment into a Tyranid army. Soon you'll command a mighty hive fleet of your own and all the moreso with the Tyrant and Broodlord! Though regarding the post's content before anything else, you gotta drop individual point costs for your biomorphs. Instead just list the model, name it's upgrades, and give a total for the unit as a whole. Review the posts you have looked at to assemble your list for various ways to do that then you'll be golden.

But moving on to the starch and protien of the list:

Tyrant: Having Warp Field is nice and can help you feel protected, but especially because it isn't meant for close combat it will be shot at by many big, powerful guns that will pierce that 2+ leaving you with a wholly unreliable invul save to prevent a wound. I've given up on this biomorph for most instances of my Tyrants, especially because by dropping it, you can buy almost a full minimum brood of Spinegaunts. You can free up some more points by dropping Enhansed Senses and Toxin Sacs (doubly there for the cost of the guns). Consider this scenario using my favorite target practice dummies: Space Marines. Bear in mind for conservative, average estimates I am going to round down for you and up for them. Plan for the worst, hope for the best, eh?

Base Stats: 12 shots -> 9 hits -> 6 wounds -> 2 kills
    + E. Senses: 12 shots -> 10 hits -> 7 wounds -> 2 kills
    + Toxin Sacs: 12 shots -> 10 hits -> 8 wounds -> 2, maybe 3 kills

Is it worth all those extra points to statistically average a possible third kill? This is something only you can decide, but something worth thinking about!

Broodlord and Retinue: May as well give Flesh Hooks to the Broodlord so he can flush out anyone who may be in cover with his high Initiative. I don't have my book in front of me but I think that this would draw the troop out of cover and allow your normal genies their high I before your opponent could go. I'd also suggest Toxic Sacs for the 'Lord so he has an easier time tearing through tank hulls and can stand toe to toe with walkers. If the above with the Hooks proves to be the case, drop them on your 'Stealer retinue and just stick with the Enhanced Carapace to avoid bolter auto-wounds.

Spinegaunts: Nothing wrong with them, run a bunch to clog up firing lanes, hold up troops in close combat, hold objectives, and give cover saves all day long to your other units! Consider each one you buy to be another "wound" for the characters behind them.

Genestealers: Unless you are playing on very terrain-heavy boards, odds are you won't need the Flesh Hooks. Especially because a Marine's base armor save is better than most cover saves so you won't find too many of the boys in blue hiding out in the bushes (particularly because it has a chance of giving you a cover save, too, which is A LOT more helpful for bugs than humans). Honestly run them vanilla. Extended Carapace isn't bad if you have the points to throw around, but most will probably and sadly get juiced before making it to their target so you are wasting points on Scything Talons. Just get that extra attack from a charge and hopefully after a round of close combat there won't be any enemies left (especially after rending).

Warriors: I don't have much experience with them, but that is a very popular build. One I actually played around with tonight. So you are probably well off here, just be careful as your shots have the potential to fly off 10" right into your own guys.

Overall: You might want to run some kind of "sweeper" squad and/or get some tank-flippers painted up. Right now I think heavy and even support armor like Venerable Dreadnaughts will have a field day shooting at your guys and not having to worry about being torn up in close combat. Zoanthropes can help with this, as of course, so can Carnifexes or a CC Flyrant.
    Human beings, while exceptional in the ability to learn from the mistakes of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually the math works out to (my calculations...not infalliable):

Base: 4.5 dead marines (avg)

w/ ES: 5 1/3 dead marines (avg)

w/Toxin: 5 1/3 dead marines (avg)

w/ES & Toxin: 6 1/3 dead marines (avg)

I find with ES and Toxin Sacs I regularly go for 12 out of 12 wounds on T4 models...the numbers above are just the averages.

Plus its worth noting that toxin sacs is nice for tank busting.

In low point games I will drop them from time to time to free up points if I am sure I wont be running up against anything too nasty where the S5 isint an issue.
    Hive Flee Annoch

Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box. -Italian Proverb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, ultimately as long as the points are there, it never hurts to make shots more accurate and stronger. Math aside, it's just common sense that anything you can do to improve your hits/wounds will benefit. I guess in my local meta I just don't see the value of it because everyone has wisened up and my Tyrant succumbs to lasers and plasma by turn 3 if I'm lucky (let's not forget power fists/klaws). =(
    Human beings, while exceptional in the ability to learn from the mistakes of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMorgs View Post
    Yeah, ultimately as long as the points are there, it never hurts to make shots more accurate and stronger. Math aside, it's just common sense that anything you can do to improve your hits/wounds will benefit. I guess in my local meta I just don't see the value of it because everyone has wisened up and my Tyrant succumbs to lasers and plasma by turn 3 if I'm lucky (let's not forget power fists/klaws). =(
    I dont think that I have had a tyrant at the end of the game in a long time, but I always consider that to be OK because that means that they are ignoring all of the other threats that I have brought. That would include outflanking GS's and about 5 carnifexes....

Also, because of that I like to make sure he does as much damage as possible so TL Devs or VC/TL Devs lets me do some damage before he goes down.

A coulple of tyrant guard can help also. They each soak up 2 successful shots...and if you get lucky and get them into CC, they are no slackers...
    Hive Flee Annoch

Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box. -Italian Proverb

+ Reply to Thread