1800pt Competitive List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1800pt Competitive List

I've found a tournament in my local area, I don't have a lot of time to test my list never mind completing my army. The tournament is at the end of January and I am hoping to get opinions on how it might perform in a competitive arena. So without further ado the List.

HQ
    Hive Tyrant - AG (WS&I), Wings, Fleshhooks, Twin-linked Devourer x2, Warp field, Toxic Miasma Toxin Sacs. - 215
    Tactics - Grabbin kill points and taking away scoring troops. Flys close, dakkas to death, assaults if he can finish them off quickly.
    Hive Tyrant - Enhanced Senses, Extended Carapace, Venom Cannon, Scything Talons, Warp Blast, Toxin Sacs - 190
    Tactics - Provides anti-instant death Synapse for carnifexs and targets tanks. Hangs back to provide synapse for gaunts Without Number.
    Elites
    Lictors x3 - 240
    Tactics - Pops up for targets of opportunity (Scouts, Heavy Weapon Teams, Contest Objectives), also gives +3 to roll to deepstrike Flyrant.
    Carnifex - Dakkafex - Enhanced Senses, Flesh Hooks, Twin-linked Devourers x2 - 114
    Tactics - move up, dakka something to death, rinse & repeat.
    Carnifex - Dakkafex - Enhanced Senses, Flesh Hooks, Twin-linked Devourers x2 - 114
    Tactics - move up, dakka something to death, rinse & repeat.
    Troops
    Genestealers x8 - Scything Talons (expensive but I dont have more stealer models) - 160
    Tactics - Takes on high T, high save opponents and anything else they can catch
    Genestealers x8 - Scything Talons - 160
    Tactics - as above
    Termagaunts x8 - Fleshborers, Without Number - 72
    Tactics - Run to and hold objectives.
    Termagaunts x8 - Fleshborers, Without Number - 72
    Tactics - as above
    Heavy Support
    Zoanthropes x3 - Warp Blast, Synapse (considering Psychic Scream instead) - 195
    Tactics - Provide Synapse against Insta-death, anti-tank
    Carnifex - Sniperfex - Enhanced Senses, Barbed Strangler, Venom Cannon - 148
    Tactics - Shoot stuff, nuff said
    Carnifex - Angeldust - Adrenal Glands (WS), Spine Banks, Tusked, Scything Talons x2 - 120
    Tactics - be scary, chase units, get shot.

I'm pawning this to everyone Check out My 'Nids Tactica and give your Oppinion. I'm Desperate for Attention.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HQ: Your Dakka Tyrant can probably do without Hooks or Toxic Miasma to free up some points as you probably aren't going to be doing too much CC with a beast meant for ranged infantry killing. Some feel butting Enhanced Senses can be worth the points (like with Toxin Sacs) but that's your call. As for your other Tyrant, you can't have Senses with Warp Blast (which is marginally OK at best with a Tyrant, anyway). Also if you want something to just hang back and provide synapse you can always use Zoanthropes or Warriors (both are pretty good, go Synapse/Warp Blast for the 'Thrope and a Death Spitter and Talons on the Warrior with some extras like Carapace).

You may end up wanting to have a "walking" Tyrant with some guard to trudge across the field. Maybe give that the Devourers and Guard. Throw some Talons on the flyer and bum rush the first tank you see and threaten the side of the board quickly. A perfect compliment to that (for me anyway) is an Infiltrating/Outflanking Broodlord and Retinue. You'll have to drop a Tyrant for that (or Warriors unless you are using them as Elites), so think carefully!

Elites: Nothing wrong with Dakkafexes, just make sure you have something that can flip or pen tanks. With a Tyrant you are very anti-personnel, which isn't terrible, but Dreadnaughts, Leman Russ tanks, and other things like that can be a pain in your side. Have you considered a Ninja/Baitfex or Boomfexes? As for the Lictors, they aren't terrible but because you have to roll for them every turn you are exposing 80 point pieces to close combat alone (unless that winged CC Tyrant gets to them) with Marines. You don't get that yummy cover save bonus in CC so...hope for rends haha! Maybe only one, two at most could be a bit more efficient? Again, your call but stat out a mock battle of a squad of 5/10 Marines to your Lictors to see average wounds (and hit-and-running away from gunney-type Marines could seal their fate despite cover bonuses).

Troops: Genestealers are a huge threat. Which is good and bad. It's great because you know they will draw fire off your other units. It is bad because they draw fire from your other units. Most times they are going to get juiced before they get into CC and thus the extra attacks from Talons are wasted points. Carapace allows them to survive bolter fire, Scuttle gets them closer to their target, and Feeder Tendrils really help in supporting CC with each other or even Gaunts in combate. You might want to consider these biomorphs before Talons.

Termagaunts are more killy than Spinegaunts, but also more expensive especially with Without Number. If you are playing in a Kill Point victory this can be very dangerous! Otherwise it is decent enough for respawning and holding objectives. Make sure that if this is for an objective game you sit on the target and go to ground for additional cover saves. In this case though you could save points by going to Spinegaunts and maybe make their teams a bit bigger. Remember that only a majority of your unit has to be in/behind cover for the whole team to get it, including the bits that stick out of the sides.

Heavy Support: Biovores all the way. Haha, I'm only joking. 'Thropes are excellent as are Gunfexes. Maybe trick out the Ninjafex to fit your HS slot to make it more survivable and replace the Elite with a Boomfex or the like. Maybe some Raveners which will be enhanced by Lictors' Feeder Tendrils. Gargoyles too, perhaps, which can probably provide cover to and keep up with your Flyrant! But that's more for the Elite/Fast Attack section.

Hopefully some of these outside observations helped out. Let us know how you did when you compete with whatever list you end up with!
    Human beings, while exceptional in the ability to learn from the mistakes of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the Advice there Matty.

HQ: Your Dakka Tyrant can probably do without Hooks or Toxic Miasma to free up some points as you probably aren't going to be doing too much CC with a beast meant for ranged infantry killing.
    I don't know, I mainly have the Hooks and Miasmas cause I had points left over. The miasma I'll drop as only WS3 troops or WS 6+ HQ's and things would be affected by it and id like to avoid Characters. But things like kroot, snipers, etc that sit in cover i'll keep flesh hooks for.

Some feel butting Enhanced Senses can be worth the points (like with Toxin Sacs) but that's your call. As for your other Tyrant, you can't have Senses with Warp Blast (which is marginally OK at best with a Tyrant, anyway).
    Good catch there I completely forget about that every time. Scratches Warp Blast, Psychic Scream instead.

Also if you want something to just hang back and provide synapse you can always use Zoanthropes or Warriors (both are pretty good, go Synapse/Warp Blast for the 'Thrope and a Death Spitter and Talons on the Warrior with some extras like Carapace).
    I don't know if you noticed but this is a Nid'zilla list. So A. I want stompy, B. no room for Warriors. And um I'm already running three Zoanthropes.

You may end up wanting to have a "walking" Tyrant with some guard to trudge across the field. Maybe give that the Devourers and Guard. Throw some Talons on the flyer and bum rush the first tank you see and threaten the side of the board quickly. A perfect compliment to that (for me anyway) is an Infiltrating/Outflanking Broodlord and Retinue. You'll have to drop a Tyrant for that (or Warriors unless you are using them as Elites), so think carefully!
    I have a stompy tyrant already, he has no guard but that was a points issue, if I can free some up I grab him some. Also as I pointed out my slots are full. unless your talking about flying warriors which I don't have and would take too long to model.

Elites: Nothing wrong with Dakkafexes, just make sure you have something that can flip or pen tanks. With a Tyrant you are very anti-personnel, which isn't terrible, but Dreadnaughts, Leman Russ tanks, and other things like that can be a pain in your side.
    If I have the need to get tanks I can always forgo shooting. And spend a turn flying my tyrant over and knocking over tanks. At least if my Zoanthropes dont fail to pop them, which sadly happens alot.

Have you considered a Ninja/Baitfex or Boomfexes?
    Not sure on what these are. My Angeldust Carny is quite a bullet magnet (imposing model).

As for the Lictors, they aren't terrible but because you have to roll for them every turn you are exposing 80 point pieces to close combat alone (unless that winged CC Tyrant gets to them) with Marines.
    They might be 80pts but are only worth one kill point now. And in objectives games they are invaluable for thier ability to contest objectives. And like I pointed out my tactics involve not getting them caught up in large fights they can't win and if they do, hit and run away until more lictors show up or as you pointed out flying tyrant.

Troops: Genestealers are a huge threat. Which is good and bad. It's great because you know they will draw fire off your other units. It is bad because they draw fire from your other units. Most times they are going to get juiced before they get into CC and thus the extra attacks from Talons are wasted points. Carapace allows them to survive bolter fire, Scuttle gets them closer to their target, and Feeder Tendrils really help in supporting CC with each other or even Gaunts in combate. You might want to consider these biomorphs before Talons.
    On this point I agree, I have the chance to change these squads to a unit of 6 with feeder tendrils and a unit of 10 with Scything Talons. My genestealers suffered from being some of my first nids and are already stuck with the talons without some destruction. (Something i'm trying to avoid with my Flyrant not yet built to a gaming standard.)

Termagaunts are more killy than Spinegaunts, but also more expensive especially with Without Number. If you are playing in a Kill Point victory this can be very dangerous! Otherwise it is decent enough for respawning and holding objectives. Make sure that if this is for an objective game you sit on the target and go to ground for additional cover saves. In this case though you could save points by going to Spinegaunts and maybe make their teams a bit bigger. Remember that only a majority of your unit has to be in/behind cover for the whole team to get it, including the bits that stick out of the sides.
    I dont have any spinegaunts or I'd have bigger units or get those Tyrant guard I'm trying to free points for. In Annhilation missions i dont have to bring them back so I Wont.

Heavy Support: Biovores all the way. Haha, I'm only joking. 'Thropes are excellent as are Gunfexes. Maybe trick out the Ninjafex to fit your HS slot to make it more survivable and replace the Elite with a Boomfex or the like. Maybe some Raveners which will be enhanced by Lictors' Feeder Tendrils. Gargoyles too, perhaps, which can probably provide cover to and keep up with your Flyrant! But that's more for the Elite/Fast Attack section.
    This doesn't seem to make much sense. I need points to give the ?ninjafex? survivability upgrades. I can't put in ravenors without taking out something else, and as much as I love the rules for gargoyles; models are too expensive.
    I'm pawning this to everyone Check out My 'Nids Tactica and give your Oppinion. I'm Desperate for Attention.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry for some of the confusion (and apparently spelling errors!) on my reply. Each was meant to be a general observation/suggestion and not necessarily "do this and this exactly" or keep the point total of your army in mind. I'll touch up on a few things that you were wondering about:

"Ninjafex" (a.k.a. "Baitfex"): 114 points
    *Adrenal Glands - WS, Toxic Miasma, Flesh Hooks, 2x Scything Talons
    -Named as such because it is a deadly warrior wreathed in a swirling black mist and sent out on special (usually anti-armor) missions. Or for the less romantic explanation, it should draw fire from every lascannon and power fist your enemy has because as its pilot you are to run it out ahead of everything you can and cause a lot of damage on high points value models.

"Boomfex": 114 points
    *Barbed Strangler, Scything Talons, Flesh Hooks
    -Named such as it shoots out 5" pie plates at S8 that will auto-hit 1/3 of the time and can not only possibly pin infantry but also pen tanks. The talons and hooks give it some CC ability as well should shooting large blasts no longer be a viable option.

If you are going to be using Deep Strike for your Flyrant be careful because one unlucky scatter roll can utterly destroy it before it even has a chance to do anything. Same if you roll unlucky from turn two onward (even with Lictors). It does happen and the longer it's not on the table, the more your core army will be shot or poked at with very hurty things that can't take it.
    Human beings, while exceptional in the ability to learn from the mistakes of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to...

+ Reply to Thread