1500 Tau Army List (First attempt) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Does this sound good?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

0 0%
  • No.

10 47.62%
  • It needs a little tweaking . . .

11 52.38%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 Tau Army List (First attempt)

Hey, I'm getting started with the Tau, and have just completed my first army list. I chose to do away with Kroot, and simply rely on superior firepower. Three Devilfish will carry thirty-six of my Fire Warriors to the front-lines, supported by Hammerheads. The remaining twenty-four Fire Warriors will advance with my HQ, or be picked up by two of the Devilfish. Any comments or suggestions?

HQ:
    Crisis Suit Commander x 1
    -Iridium armour plates
    -Shield generator
    -Airbursting fragmentation projector.
    Crisis Suit Shas'ui x 2
    -Target lock
    -Targeting array
    -Shield generator
    Total HQ points: 255

Troops:
    5 x Fire warriors x 12,
    -Shas'ui team leader
    -Photon grenades x 3
    -Bonding knife
    -Pulse rifle x 12.
    Total Troops points: 690

Vehicles:
    Devilfish x 1,.
    -Smart missile system x 1
    Devilfish x 2
    Hammerhead x 1
    -Railgun,
    -Smart missile system,.
    Hammerhead x 1
    -Ion cannon
    -Smart missile system
    Total Vehicles points: 545

Total Army points: 1490

Last edited by aequitas1892; January 12th, 2009 at 03:04. Reason: Removed copyrighted information.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

You are violating a law of Games Workshop.

You are not allowed to put in the points value of every single peice of equipment only the unit itself

So if i had 12x Fire Warriors and a shas'ui i would say that the unit is 130 points

I would also suggest that you put everything in order from HQ down to Heavy Support

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage. View Post
    You are violating a law of Games Workshop.

You are not allowed to put in the points value of every single peice of equipment only the unit itself

So if i had 12x Fire Warriors and a shas'ui i would say that the unit is 130 points

I would also suggest that you put everything in order from HQ down to Heavy Support
    Wait, so the value of any equipment doesn't count toward the 1500 total?

I'm confused. Dx

Por'vre T'olku Shien
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

No, you're violating copyright law by posting model by model points values. As for the list itself, from what I can tell there are a lot of wasted points, but your format is a bit odd. Check the other lists in this subsection for examples.
    Last edited by PsyBomb; January 10th, 2009 at 07:11.
    I fight for the Greater Good. Too bad for you it's MY Greater Good.

Snow Forces of T'olku W/L/D : 3-4-2... I like to think I'm learning, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your HQ selection is a little off, you have only 1 weapon out of 3 crisis suits and if you put the AFP on a Shas'O that's a waste of BS 5 (IMO).

You should also look at putting distuption pods on the hammerheads and a multitracker atleast on the railhead.

Otherwise with the amount of troops you have watch out for deepstriking flamers, they will could wipe out an entire squad in a single round of shooting.

Por'vre T'olku Shien
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

Your list still stands almost uncriticized, and you never edited out the copyright-breaking information. I'll help you for now, but this is going to sound very harsh.

HQ: I'm sorry, but it's nearly impossible to count the things wrong with your HQ choice. Literally the worst I have ever seen. We start with it being illegal, since Bodyguard choices are Shas'vre and costed as such. You have 3 models, over 260 points, and ONE weapon among them, and it's an AFB. On a Shas'O. Ick. Your bodyguards are literally nothing more than walking wounds, not a weapon among them. That is contemptible as a commander, and absurdly ill-advised in building an army, since a Hard Wired Drone Controller and two Shield Drones could do the job just as well... and for less than half the points. Your Shas'O is also wearing Irridium Armor, which is a waste of points except in a very specific build (a build which you're close to, but which is fairly subpar anyway), and slows you down. Also makes the walking wounds less effective at their jobs, since it causes the group to have split saves, forcing you to assign wounds. In summary, it could not have been a worse designed choice if you tried.

Troops: You have a ton of Fire Warriors, much more than you have transports for... and you then stated that you want nothing to do with the Kroot. Why is this? They're cheaper for nearly the same firepower, plus they can infiltrate and squads of them can be made to Assault with at need. The troops are also illegal, BTW, since defensive grenates have to be on everyone to benefit. Not that you should be taking them anyway, since you need to be doing everything in your power to prevent assaults from happining to those guys in the first place. Your list is unusual among 1500s for the raw number of troops you're taking, but that is not neccessarily a bad thing.

Vehicles: Ok, you have 10 points open and hundreds wasted to no or little effect, but no Disruption Pods on any of your five vehicles. Again, bad idea, Disruption Pods are NOT optional. They might not be required by Codex, but you should never (NEVER) take a vehicle without a DP. As mentioned above, your Hammerheads also need Multi-trackers so that they will be able to move and still shoot well, and I'm not that big a fan of the Ion cannon unless you know for fact that Marines/MEQs will be most of your opposition. Submunition Blast is just that good, and the solid-shot is probably the scariest gun in the game. Oh, also forgot that you have another illegality here, since each of the Devilfish occupy a Troops choice on the chart, bringing you up to 8 Troop units out of a maximum of 6.

Summary: Sorry to put it this way, but scrap the list and burn the paper you wrote it on. Take a look through the stickies, then try again.
    I fight for the Greater Good. Too bad for you it's MY Greater Good.

Snow Forces of T'olku W/L/D : 3-4-2... I like to think I'm learning, though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by PsyBomb View Post
    Your list still stands almost uncriticized, and you never edited out the copyright-breaking information. I'll help you for now, but this is going to sound very harsh.

HQ: I'm sorry, but it's nearly impossible to count the things wrong with your HQ choice. Literally the worst I have ever seen. We start with it being illegal, since Bodyguard choices are Shas'vre and costed as such. You have 3 models, over 260 points, and ONE weapon among them, and it's an AFB. On a Shas'O. Ick. Your bodyguards are literally nothing more than walking wounds, not a weapon among them. That is contemptible as a commander, and absurdly ill-advised in building an army, since a Hard Wired Drone Controller and two Shield Drones could do the job just as well... and for less than half the points. Your Shas'O is also wearing Irridium Armor, which is a waste of points except in a very specific build (a build which you're close to, but which is fairly subpar anyway), and slows you down. Also makes the walking wounds less effective at their jobs, since it causes the group to have split saves, forcing you to assign wounds. In summary, it could not have been a worse designed choice if you tried.

Troops: You have a ton of Fire Warriors, much more than you have transports for... and you then stated that you want nothing to do with the Kroot. Why is this? They're cheaper for nearly the same firepower, plus they can infiltrate and squads of them can be made to Assault with at need. The troops are also illegal, BTW, since defensive grenates have to be on everyone to benefit. Not that you should be taking them anyway, since you need to be doing everything in your power to prevent assaults from happining to those guys in the first place. Your list is unusual among 1500s for the raw number of troops you're taking, but that is not neccessarily a bad thing.

Vehicles: Ok, you have 10 points open and hundreds wasted to no or little effect, but no Disruption Pods on any of your five vehicles. Again, bad idea, Disruption Pods are NOT optional. They might not be required by Codex, but you should never (NEVER) take a vehicle without a DP. As mentioned above, your Hammerheads also need Multi-trackers so that they will be able to move and still shoot well, and I'm not that big a fan of the Ion cannon unless you know for fact that Marines/MEQs will be most of your opposition. Submunition Blast is just that good, and the solid-shot is probably the scariest gun in the game. Oh, also forgot that you have another illegality here, since each of the Devilfish occupy a Troops choice on the chart, bringing you up to 8 Troop units out of a maximum of 6.

Summary: Sorry to put it this way, but scrap the list and burn the paper you wrote it on. Take a look through the stickies, then try again.
    Ok Psy first things first the dude is NEW to Tau. he even said that in the first line of his post and I quote "Hey, I'm getting started with the Tau, and have just completed my first army list". This needs saying, posts like this put of new members, it is overly harsh and saying stuff like this is just humiliating the dude for no reason:
    Literally the worst I have ever seen
    and
    but scrap the list and burn the paper you wrote it on
    and
    it could not have been a worse designed choice if you tried.
    Did the above really need saying? Do us a favour post the first ever list you created and let us see how good that was. We are not here to humiliate, we are here to help and advise.

Next thing Psy,
    since each of the Devilfish occupy a Troops choice on the chart
    Devilfish are not troops and do not occupy a force organisation slot, they are transports taken by FW. Check the unit type "vehicle" then check the grey horizontal panel on the left hand of the page it says "transport". DF are NOT troops.

Ok so lets give this dude some advise and encouragement.

I am going to ask you an obvious question, do you own the Tau codex? If you do not then go and buy one. This is not meant to be facetious or condescending but is meant as solid advice.
    If you have the codex then read the rules on page 25 regarding how to equip battle-suits. The main things to remember are:

(1) XV8's have three hard points
    (2) Each hard point can mount a weapon or a support system
    (3) You cannot mount three of the same weapon on the three hard points
    (4) Two weapons of the same type count as twin linked but each weapon occupies a separate hard point
    (5) Elite XV8's have access to weapons and support systems, they do not have access to hard wired or special issue systems
    (6) Team leaders have access to hard wired systems
    (7) Shas'Vre have access to hard wired and special issue systems
    ( 8 ) All support systems and weapons must be represented on the suits but hard wired systems do not need to be shown

It is not a good idea to take an XV8 without weapons.

Next you need to balance your list a bit better, for instance you have very little to handle vehicles and tougher units. You basically have one Railgun and believe me that will not be anywhere near enough.
    The accepted convention for list building in Tau is this

1 or 2 XV8 Shas'El (you do not need to take a Shas'O believe me), usually with Plasma, Missile pod (or Fusion), Targeting array and HW multi tracker

1 or 2 teams of XV8's. Most popular are Deathrains (Twin linked missile pod and Targeting array) or Fireknife (Plasma, Missile pod and Multi)

Fire warriors and Kroot. This is open to much variation but Kroot are REALLY REALLY REALLY effective in 5th and you really should not be doing away with them. The Kroot are just as good as FW regarding Firepower but are better in assault and have infiltrate, they can also now be transported.
    Fire Warriors are usually taken in Devilfish and Grenades are avoided. Devilfish should have Decoys as standard (no arguments will be brooked on this subject ).

I take one unit of 12 FW in a DF and two unit of 10 Kroot with 8 Hounds accompanying each squad of Kroot and it works.

Stealth's are another staple and for good reason. They are very hard to kill have infiltrate and a good rate of fire.

Hammerheads with Railguns, Burst cannons, Multi and Decoys are a must. I take two and a skyray.

marker lights, if you want your list to work you need ML's. The Pathfinder squad is now much better because you can use their compulsory Devilfish to transport FW's or Kroot. You need Marker lights to maximise your armies potential and PF are a good place to start. Skyrays are also good and Marker light Drones no longer suffer any penalty for moving when taken by jet pack battle-suit, wearing models.

This is what you should basically be aiming for with a list build. If you include the above you will have a list that can handle pretty much anything.

Mu advice is go back and read (or buy/lend and read) the Tau codex and also take a look at the threads that are stickied (some rules changes have made some of the advice obsolete but the overall advice is good) and check out other forums as well (Advanced tau tactica is a good forum as well). Re-write the list but try to keep an eye on legality.
    If you like we could create a list for you as a starting point but we need to know what sort of tactics you are aiming to use and what sort of list you are trying to create. Is it a gun line static list? (not good) or is it mobility you want? or is it a balance of mobility and static? or lastly is it pure fire power. You get my drift, just take some time to digest the rules in the Codex and come back to us.
    Do not be disheartened by negative comments because we all started at the beginning and we all still make mistakes, don't we Psy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    I am going to ask you an obvious question, do you own the Tau codex? If you do not then go and buy one. This is not meant to be facetious or condescending but is meant as solid advice.
    If you have the codex then read the rules on page 25 regarding how to equip battle-suits. The main things to remember are:

(1) XV8's have three hard points
    (2) Each hard point can mount a weapon or a support system
    (3) You cannot mount three of the same weapon on the three hard points
    (4) Two weapons of the same type count as twin linked but each weapon occupies a separate hard point
    (5) Elite XV8's have access to weapons and support systems, they do not have access to hard wired or special issue systems
    (6) Team leaders have access to hard wired systems
    (7) Shas'Vre have access to hard wired and special issue systems
    ( 8 ) All support systems and weapons must be represented on the suits but hard wired systems do not need to be shown

It is not a good idea to take an XV8 without weapons.

Next you need to balance your list a bit better, for instance you have very little to handle vehicles and tougher units. You basically have one Railgun and believe me that will not be anywhere near enough.
    The accepted convention for list building in Tau is this

1 or 2 XV8 Shas'El (you do not need to take a Shas'O believe me), usually with Plasma, Missile pod (or Fusion), Targeting array and HW multi tracker

1 or 2 teams of XV8's. Most popular are Deathrains (Twin linked missile pod and Targeting array) or Fireknife (Plasma, Missile pod and Multi)

Fire warriors and Kroot. This is open to much variation but Kroot are REALLY REALLY REALLY effective in 5th and you really should not be doing away with them. The Kroot are just as good as FW regarding Firepower but are better in assault and have infiltrate, they can also now be transported.
    Fire Warriors are usually taken in Devilfish and Grenades are avoided. Devilfish should have Decoys as standard (no arguments will be brooked on this subject ).

I take one unit of 12 FW in a DF and two unit of 10 Kroot with 8 Hounds accompanying each squad of Kroot and it works.

Stealth's are another staple and for good reason. They are very hard to kill have infiltrate and a good rate of fire.

Hammerheads with Railguns, Burst cannons, Multi and Decoys are a must. I take two and a skyray.

marker lights, if you want your list to work you need ML's. The Pathfinder squad is now much better because you can use their compulsory Devilfish to transport FW's or Kroot. You need Marker lights to maximise your armies potential and PF are a good place to start. Skyrays are also good and Marker light Drones no longer suffer any penalty for moving when taken by jet pack battle-suit, wearing models.

This is what you should basically be aiming for with a list build. If you include the above you will have a list that can handle pretty much anything.

Mu advice is go back and read (or buy/lend and read) the Tau codex and also take a look at the threads that are stickied (some rules changes have made some of the advice obsolete but the overall advice is good) and check out other forums as well (Advanced tau tactica is a good forum as well). Re-write the list but try to keep an eye on legality.
    If you like we could create a list for you as a starting point but we need to know what sort of tactics you are aiming to use and what sort of list you are trying to create. Is it a gun line static list? (not good) or is it mobility you want? or is it a balance of mobility and static? or lastly is it pure fire power. You get my drift, just take some time to digest the rules in the Codex and come back to us.
    Do not be disheartened by negative comments because we all started at the beginning and we all still make mistakes, don't we Psy?
    Thank you, rikimaru. I do own the Tau codex, and I'm going to read it over a few more times.

As far as the Crisis Suit weapons go, I thought that the things I had to choose from were supplementary, and that it had a sort of default weapon. I should have payed closer attention to the codex. I'll keep all of that in mind when I either revise my list or start from scratch.

As for the troops, my reason is actually fairly stupid; I don't like the way Kroot look. I had thought about using Kroot in reserve to back up my firing line, but trashed the idea. However, I suppose I'll need to just suck it up and use them anyway. Otherwise, my Fire Warriors are just going to get raped if the enemy gets too close.

Ugh, I really need to read the codex again. If I'd noticed all of the flaws in my list, I would have cleaned it up a bit before I wasted your time. Dx

As far as tactics go, I've grown rather fond of the idea of a static force. Although, in light of how unfeasible that is, I think I'd be better off with a mobile force of some sort. Maybe transports filled with troops to be carried to objectives, and tanks to provide cover fire?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by aequitas1892 View Post
    Thank you, rikimaru. I do own the Tau codex, and I'm going to read it over a few more times.

As far as the Crisis Suit weapons go, I thought that the things I had to choose from were supplementary, and that it had a sort of default weapon. I should have payed closer attention to the codex. I'll keep all of that in mind when I either revise my list or start from scratch.

As for the troops, my reason is actually fairly stupid; I don't like the way Kroot look. I had thought about using Kroot in reserve to back up my firing line, but trashed the idea. However, I suppose I'll need to just suck it up and use them anyway. Otherwise, my Fire Warriors are just going to get raped if the enemy gets too close.

Ugh, I really need to read the codex again. If I'd noticed all of the flaws in my list, I would have cleaned it up a bit before I wasted your time. Dx

As far as tactics go, I've grown rather fond of the idea of a static force. Although, in light of how unfeasible that is, I think I'd be better off with a mobile force of some sort. Maybe transports filled with troops to be carried to objectives, and tanks to provide cover fire?
    You haven't wasted our time, you have learned something already and that is what we are here for. Static is not a real good idea as there is just to much movement in 5th and static lists can be closed down way to fast. Static elements in the list are a good idea but fully static is a no no. Like you said study the codex and post a new list and we can advise you from there.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

744 (x8)

I like the amount of fire warriors! there a solid choice and with the DF should be good at objective grabbing / holding.

The HQ choice needs bit more work on especially as you need weapons missle pods and plasma rifles probs best bet.

I would change the hammer head with an ion cannon for another rail gun justt as for the points the rail gun is just far superior and the ion cannon in practise isn't effective enough to make it worth its while. if your wanting to add anti heavy infantry to the army plasma rifes do the trick (especially when crisis suits always count as been still for rapid fire weapons).

Do some changes and post another list can help you develop it bit more.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast