2250 Speed Freaks - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

2250 Speed Freaks

I've got a tournament coming up, and I want to play a variation on my normal speed freaks list. How's this look:

HQ

Warboss w/bike, cybork, powerklaw [135]

Warboss w/mega armor, bosspole, cybork [115]

TROOP

7 Biker Nobz w/3 powerklaws, painboy, cybork, waaauugh banner, bosspole [475]

4 Meganobz w/2 combi-scorchas, battlewagon w/big shoota, grot riggers, deffrolla [290]

12 Slugga boyz w/nob, powerklaw, bosspole, trukk, ram [152]

12 Slugga boyz w/nob, powerklaw, bosspole, trukk, ram [152]

20 Shoota boyz w/nob, powerklaw, bosspole, 2 big shootas [170]

30 Shoota boyz w/nob, powerklaw, bosspole, 3 big shootas [235]

ELITE

9 Lootas w/3 kmbs [135]

9 Lootas w/3 kmbs [135]

9 Lootas w/3 kmbs [135]

HEAVY

Battlewagon w/big shoota, grot riggers, deffrolla [120]

The 20 shoota boyz will either slog along with the unit of 30, hold an objective, or hop in the battlewagon and ride along with the rest of the army. It'll most likely ride along unless I need to hold an objective in my own deployment zone though.

Last edited by mynameisgrax; January 23rd, 2009 at 20:27. Reason: changed list
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks good. I'm just no fan of Big gunz but everything ealse looks great. Hope you do well in the tournament.
    Waaagh!! Zaktoznaz!!
    W/D/L
    3/1/2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x2)

My only major complaint is that with 3 groups of Lootas, 2 groups of walking grots and 3 squads of Big Gunz this isn't a Speed Freaks army

That said my actual advice is:
    1 - Stikkbomb Chukkas on the Trukks - You find these worthwhile? With the low I of the Orks most of the time what you charge in cover has a better I than you anyway. And those few times they don't you will trounce them in CC anyway.

2 - Loota Squads - The KMBs are 1/2 the range of the Deffguns aren't they? Just makes them much more difficult to use effectively as you'll need to move the squad and lose the Deffgun shots to get the KMBs off. Basically its not something I would do with all 3 squads. I'd kit atleast 1 out with all Deffguns,

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Tu che

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyclops View Post
    My only major complaint is that with 3 groups of Lootas, 2 groups of walking grots and 3 squads of Big Gunz this isn't a Speed Freaks army

That said my actual advice is:
    1 - Stikkbomb Chukkas on the Trukks - You find these worthwhile? With the low I of the Orks most of the time what you charge in cover has a better I than you anyway. And those few times they don't you will trounce them in CC anyway.

2 - Loota Squads - The KMBs are 1/2 the range of the Deffguns aren't they? Just makes them much more difficult to use effectively as you'll need to move the squad and lose the Deffgun shots to get the KMBs off. Basically its not something I would do with all 3 squads. I'd kit atleast 1 out with all Deffguns,

Good to hear from you clops! The 'speed freaks' issue did occur to me after I posted it, but going by points it's still 2/3 speed freaks. The footslogging units are only 1/3 of the army, points wise. 'Units' wise...you're probably right. ^_^

I've already lost a game or two because I didn't have stikkbomb chukkas. The reason I need them is because defeating other Ork players (and at the place the tournament is at has quite a few) is difficult without them, especially if they move shoota boyz into cover, and just wait for me to approach. Stikkbomb chukkas help swing the odds in my favor.

I really wanted plenty of kmbs in the list because the place I'm playing at also has a lot of marine players, who all seem to be very fond of terminators. Even if I didn't use them, I'd still have to use meks with big shootas, or cut out a unit of lootas. I just don't have enough loota models.

Thanks for the advice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you need extra loota models you can always convert them - Ive started converting some with some of my mate who collects Taus spare guns. Ones going to have a slighly cut down Ion cannon on his shoulder and others with various battlesuit weapons - all appropriately orkified of course.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

Switching things up a bit

Mostly on a whim, I changed the list a bit, just because the old one seemed to have too many stationary troops, and was too similar to my usual lists.

In the updated list, I've removed all the lobbas, deffkoptas, and meganobz. Instead, I'm putting 20 shoota boyz in the battlewagon, although they aren't staying in it. The wagon's just to provide the trukks some cover and to deposit the shoota boyz into a good position. I've also added a second unit of biker nobz, and the warbosses go in the trukks, instead of with the nobz.

The idea is to charge 3 separate 'fronts' up the battlefield. The nob bikers will each supercharge up along the board edges, as the battlewagon/trukks run up the center of the battlefield towards the enemy (preferrably behind cover).

If the enemy focuses on the group of vehicles in the middle, the nob bikers flank their sides. If they pick on the nobz, the vehicles rush up and collide into their front lines. The only thing I have to worry about is going second against Tau or a similar anti-armor army, and have my vehicles annihilated before they get out of my deployment zone.

Any thoughts?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x1)

You have almost a thousand points tied up in 14 biker nob models, averaging near 70 points each. When only a 3+ cover save (on the turn you turbo-boost, 4+ normally) is preventing them from instant death, it seems to me they will be a krak missile/lascannon/battle cannon/etc magnet, and we all know how plentiful those are in tournaments. Power fists might even be a larger threat, because with those, all you have to prevent instant death is your 5+ invul save.

If that's your style, though, go for it. I use averages to my great advantage in this game, and orks are probably the best at doing that. Being effective at doing what a unit is supposed to do, whether it be a distraction, causing raw damage, supporting other units, claiming objectives, or soaking up firepower, is my top priority when choosing the units in my lists. Regular boyz (both types) excel at almost all of these. They are, by quite a large margin, the most points-effective model in the game. All I look for is results on the table. Please understand that this is from a purely powergaming perspective, though. I can see why players would like to switch it up and experience all the great models that orks and other armies have to offer, because they are all a lot of fun. But for me, especially in tournaments, I would rather use a large majority of my points on boyz.

So, in my opinion, to improve this list, I would drop a single unit of biker nobz, a mere 7 models, and replace it with 2 full units of shoota boyz with 3 big shootas and a nob with PK in each, and still have 20 points to spare. 60 models as opposed to 7, which I gaurantee will do far more for you than the bikers. To make room for the amount of Troops slots that you have now (7), I would also drop the grots, giving you a total of 97 points to spare. With these points, I would evenly flesh out the Lootas, 2 extra models in each mob, enough to make them fearless!. You gain far more models, more survivability, and more damage output for just a slight decrease in manoueverability. With these changes, I believe it will be a much more deadly list, for all mission types.
    Last edited by slobulous; January 21st, 2009 at 22:10.
    I WANNA GET STUCK IN WIT DA BOYZ

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

Hmm...

You know, I didn't really see it until you said it, but now I see the problem. You're right, I have too many points invested in the nob biker strategy. I need to use 3 fronts, indeed, but they need to be 3 'unique fronts', so I can deal with many different types of armies.

The shoota boyz would also be fantastic in dawn of war setups! I'd be able to put 2 units of shoota boyz right up to the middle of the battlefield. Anti-armor would have trouble against the horde, and anti-horde would have trouble with the nob biker unit.

Thanks for the advice, I think I'm going to go along with it. ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Looks good to me.
    Lets go massacre something

I am a sexy shoeless god of war!