Librarium Online Forums banner

Birds of Prey - 1250

327 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Heirodule 
#1 ·
Hive Fleet Apophis

Apophis; from Egyptian mythology
The nature of Apophis has always been dark and threatening. Apophis was a dragon-like creature that consumed the souls of the unworthy dead and the fierce, dark and threatening opponent of the life preserving Re, the Sun God.

HQ

The Dragon Tyrant of Apophis
2x Scything Talons, Toxin Sacs, Bioplasma, Flesh Hooks, Winged, Warp Field

Elite

2x Lictor

Troop

8 Spinegaunts
8 Spinegaunts

6 Genestealers
Flesh Hooks, Scuttlers

Fast Attack

5 Warriors
TL Devourers, +1 St, +1 BS, Winged

19 Gargoyles
19 Gargoyles

Okay ... Before the critique starts;

I'm aware of the weaknesses of a Birds of Prey list. If I'm not using any heavy slots and virtually no MCs. I need to swarm my opponent and Gargoyles admittedly can be fragile. Warriors with wings are also a bit fragile. I also need some AT in the list. My thoughts are that with two Lictors I could DS the squad of Warriors and coordinate attacks with the advancing Tyrant and his retinue of Goyles. Hopefully they are going to busy dealing with the Goyles and Tyrant on the board so if my Stealers and second squad come down they should create some problems.

The Lictors, I have found, work well as AT in groups of two and can even aid in assaults with their feeder tendrils. The spinegaunts can from reserve to take late objectives.

Basically I'm arriving in two waves. By turn two or three everything should be in my opponent's face and I'll target any dangerous tanks or heavies quickly.

Now I'm interested in how you think I should deploy the force and I'm willing to make some changes to the list as long as it remains at 1250 points and sticks with the general theme- no Fexes or Thropes.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well I love your tyrant, thats a build I often use.

Your right it is a very fragile list, you absolutely have to get some enemies tied up in turn 2, this is where gargoyle's will work best.

The Dsing units will benefit greatly from the lictors. Normally I wouldnt take lictors, but in this list they are necessary.

Your troops are REALLY fragile. I play spinegaunts in every list at every level, but only to sit in a forest on an objective and go to ground when shot at.

The stealer squad is awfully small to be super effective.

I love your list cuz its fluffy and fast, much like slaanesh daemons, but extremely fragile, even more like slaanesh daemons.

Personally to keep with the theme but be more of an immediate threat and killy, I would cut down on the gargoyle squad size and take more stealers, either build up the one squad or take another small one.

Another plus is your opponent will be expecting Fexes and thropes as is fairly normal, but this list is very different and may confuse and catch your opponent off guard wirth speed and manueverability.

Thats my 2 cents, I dont know if the list could be on the heavy competetive side, but it will no doubt be a fun list to run.

Good Luck!

#3 ·
Wow...do you actually own 38 Gargoyles??? I would like to see a picture of that.

Maybe someday I can win the lottery and pick up a few squads...but at $6 a piece its a little pricey...

Anyway....I like that you can actually have no deployment phase and just DS/outflank everything onto the board if you want. Could be fun to just see your opponents face.

I think it would be challenging list to use...but you already know that.

My biggest concern would be that if he brings any kind of armor you are in trouble. The only thing that has a chance against that is your HT, and he will be the first one to go if the other player knows what he is doing. How you would fix that without adding any more MC's, I really dont know.

Keeping away from Zoanthropes is not a bad idea...I recently started leaving mine in the case and havent regretted it at all, which has surprised me.

Finally....you only have 3 troops choices and they are all at minimum squad size. Since 2/3's of the missions are objective based, what is your plan for that? Sadly, this isint the 'who cares, I'll just table him' type of army.

Also, remember that when your spinegaunts come in, they will probably be out of synapse and will either lurk or make a beeline to the closest synapse (unless you can actually make the Ld test...). This can be a good thing or a bad thing....

Anyway, great fluffy/friendly list. Ive actually wanted to put something like that together just to have a no deployemnt game, as I noted above.

Good Luck!

#4 · (Edited)
Well with advice taken I will beef the list up a bit ... I'll bold the changes

HQ

The Dragon Tyrant of Apophis
2x Scything Talons, Toxin Sacs, Bioplasma, + 1 I, +1 WS, Flesh Hooks,
Winged, Warp Field

Elite

2x Lictor

Troop

9 Spinegaunts
9 Spinegaunts

8 Genestealers
Flesh Hooks, Scuttlers

Fast Attack

5 Warriors
TL Devourers, Toxin Sacs, Enhanced Senses, Winged

16 Gargoyles
16 Gargoyles

I've dropped some Gargoyles, added some stealers and a few gaunts and beefed up the Tyrant just a tad.

My biggest concern would be that if he brings any kind of armor you are in trouble. The only thing that has a chance against that is your HT,

And the Lictors. Why does everyone forget about the Lictors?

I play spinegaunts in every list at every level, but only to sit in a forest on an objective and go to ground

I'm using them for just that. With only three troop slots I need to protect them. I'll use the Lictors to reroll successful reserves if I have to - I want them 'going to ground' turn three or four.

The stealer squad is awfully small to be super effective.

Agreed. I beefed it up.

Since 2/3's of the missions are objective based, what is your plan for that? Sadly, this isint the 'who cares, I'll just table him' type of army.

Hopefully hold at least one objective and contest any others I do not control. Everything in Synapse is fearless and scoring to the last man. I think I have a good chance to at least compete with most armies.

I did consider keeping everything off the table to start the game but it is a bit too risky. I'll keep my Warriors and Stealers and Gaunts off table to start.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.