1500pt Necron List (Feedback?) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    454 (x7)

1500pt Necron List (Feedback?)

Although it may be a while before Necrons can be an all round effective army again I still want to build an army based of my Mechanicus theme...

So I'm looking to create a good soild list for it, he is what I've got so far...

HQ
    140 - Necron Lord:
    Staff Of Light and Resurrection Orb.

ELITES
    224 – 8 Immortals

TROOPS
    180 - 10 Warriors
    180 - 10 Warriors
    180 - 10 Warriors

FAST ATTACK
    150 - 3 Destroyers
    150 - 3 Destroyers
    55 - 5 Scarabs

HEAVY SUPPORT
    235 - Monolith

TOTAL PTS: 1498
    TOTAL NO: 50 (1)
    PHASE NO: 13
    KILL PTS: 9

Tactics
    Formation

Monolith in front or deep strike in close range to the enemy, 3 Warrior troops behind, Lord joins Immortals in middle, 3 Destroyers on both flanks, Scarabs support where needed.
    Unit distraction
    The list contains 3 parts, and each of them is as deadly as the others: The Monolith / Destroyers / Warriors & Immortals. The main thing is that the opponent has to choose what he wants to get rid of, but he needs great firepower... He can choose the Monolith, then the main army & the Destroyers on the flank will bring him down. If he chooses the Destroyers he has to split his army & his firepower, meanwhile the Monolith will blast away at his army. And finally, if he chooses to ignore both, the Monoliths & the Destroyers, in order to force the army to phase out, the core should be hard enough to buy time for a disintegration from a combination of the Monolith & Destroyers.
    I could remove a warrior squad and the scarabs to buy another monolith to do even more damage but I think it would weaken my necron count and scoring units too much.

As always I’m looking for a good competitive list so any feedback would help a lot??

Last edited by Proiteus; February 1st, 2009 at 20:02.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks a lot like my own list a week ago. Then I started thinking of the 2x 3 Destroyers... are they effective in squads of 3? My conclusion is.. they are not. You are right that your opponent has to use great firepower on Destroyers in order to get rid of them, so assuming he will, you will sustain casulties. Of course they can possibly be WBB-rolled, but a single casulaty on 3 models means a Leadership test for losing > 25% in the Shooting Phase. This doens't necessarily mean you will fall back, but everytime you lose one model, you'll have to make that test. Eventuatly, you'll fall back (theoretically). Therefore I planned to use Destroyers in a squad of 5 only.

You don't got the Point count right of the Scarabs, I can't name it here, but you should take a look at it.
    Also, I believe that 2 squads of Warriors are sufficient when backed by proper elites/Destroyers. So dropping a squad of Warriors to add more Scarabs/Destroyers/Immortals can be effective.

Hope this helped!
    Cheers!

Frank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    454 (x7)

Yeah but with objective based missions do I really want to have only two scoring units?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Proiteus View Post
    Yeah but with objective based missions do I really want to have only two scoring units?
    Most likely, you'll have one objective in or near your deployment zone, which can be defended and claimed by one squad. The other could try to claim another objective, but more importantly, make sure you contest your opponents objectives. Scarabs and Destroyers come in handy here, since they can Turboboost 24" across the board, contesting an objective of your opponent.

Furthermore, I believe you let your Warriors close to the Monolith. So when moving up your force, does that mean you'll let one squad totally behind (the home objective)? Cause this will be an easy target for your opponent (if he has fast moving units aswell). Alternatively, you could keep everything near your home objective, in which case 2 squads would be sufficient I suppose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

454 (x7)

I’ve come up with a 2nd list and would like feedback on whether or not it is an improvement from the 1st list I posted.

HQ
    140 - Necron Lord:
    Staff Of Light, Veil Of Darkness and Resurrection Orb.

ELITES
    224 – 8 Immortals

TROOPS
    180 - 10 Warriors
    180 - 10 Warriors
    180 - 10 Warriors

FAST ATTACK
    36 - 3 Scarab Swarms

HEAVY SUPPORT
    130 – 2 Heavy Destroyers
    130 – 2 Heavy Destroyers
    235 – Monolith

TOTAL PTS: 1495
    TOTAL NO: 46 (1)
    PHASE NO: 11
    KILL PTS: 9

Tactics
    The tactics are very similar to the first list, the Warriors advance while the Heavy Destroyers attempt to flank the enemy whilst behind cover and get some shots on the side armour of enemy vehicles. The Scarabs are in there purely as a speed bump or contesting unit in the last turn. The rest of the army’s role will be based upon the opposing army and whether they deep strike or support the warriors, everyone loves the flying circus.

Is it an improvement?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've actually played with the last list. (almost anyway, 3 heavys and more scarab swarms) Using the lord with the veil to jump with the immortals to important targets and wiping them out. It's all fun until you land on an enemy and the entire squad is lost =(

I would not remove a squad of warriors actually, I mostly play against ig and tau and they always go for phase out when you only have two units of warriors. Well, at least those I played against, and it is not fun losing on phase out.

Scarab swarms are great, I love them! But with 3 I think they will get shot or stomped fast and furious giving you're enemy a victory point.

When I play with destroyers I usually try to have them in smaller groups because when I get a glancing on a vehicle and making sure it cant fire a weapon on its turn I'm happy and chooses another target with the other group. It's hard to fail on leadership. I've managed to do it twice on 7 matches. (not counting close combat leadership)

BUT! I'm not saying that Cypher is wrong or anything! I've just never played destroyers in groups of 5. I'm going to try that this weekend though ^^

Deep striking the monolith into a spot full of units and letting that flux arc create havoc is mighty fun. Be careful when playing with the mono and not deep striking, be sure to keep those hammerheads busy on something else, they just love to bring down monoliths.
    Ohh, and I only played with 3 heavy destroyers as maximum. So I dont know how 6 will turn out.
    Last edited by mast; February 2nd, 2009 at 21:57.

+ Reply to Thread