[1500] Genestealer Cult - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

[1500] Genestealer Cult

I've finally gotten around to starting my genestealer cult army but before I start ordering away all the bits and bobs I need for the conversions, I'd rather put it up for some constructive criticism...

HQ

Broodlord (uses old Patriarch model) (Feeder Tendrils, Ext. Carapace, Flesh Hooks) + 5 Genestealers (Flesh Hooks)

TROOPS

3x8 Genestealer Broods (Flesh Hooks, Scuttlers)

2x16 Gant Broods (will be modelled as hybrids) (Without Numbers, Spinefist)

ELITES

3 Lictors (will be modelled with the actual broodlord model)

HEAVY SUPPORT

3 Zoanthropes (will be modelled as genestealer maguses) (Synapse, Psychic Scream)

1 Carnifex (will be modelled with the Damien 1427 Inquisitor model with some minor genestealer hybrid-ish conversions) (Adrenal Glands WS and I, Extended Carapace, Regenerate, Reinforced Chitin, Toxin Sacks, Scything Talons x2)

The plan is to have the bulk of the force (gants, zoanthropes and 'fex) march up the field, while the rest of the army outflanks).

Lictors are there for light tank hunting and supporting HtH with their feeder tendrils.

Carnifex is for BIG tank hunting (Anything the Lictors can't take down).

What do you think?

- Just love that maki! -

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

With all the server problems the forum had in these days I'll up the thread, hoping to receive a little more visibility! ^_^

---------- Post added at 09:31 ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 ----------

With all the server problems the forum had I'll just up my post hoping to get a little more visibility! =)
    - Just love that maki! -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like you will have some fun converting, and to that I wish you luck. Hopefully you can post some pictures when you are through! But here's a bit of general advice that will help you shore up your army for "general" purposes and guide you to your bitz selection.

Broodlord w/Buddies: This unit has such strategic value that I will always recommend allocating as many points as you can to fill it in. Make it a huge threat that is hard to kill. With this I'll say you can spend 96 points on a 'Lord with Tendrils, Carapace, Hooks, and Toxin Sacs. The Sacs will be clutch to helping you pop tanks more effectively and wound Marines on 2. Try to max out your 'Stealers with him since they all get Infiltrate "for free". Flesh Hooks are good but honestly spend some more points on them to give them Carapace so they can stand up to bolter fire! If you are crazy enough and think they'll survive to use them you could put Talons on this group but before anything else your priority should be: Carapace > Hooks > Talons/anything else.

Troops: Carapace is going to be key here, too. I know it's expensive but you either throw that on them or you just hand over those Victory/Kill Points to your opponent because you are a nice and generous guy who doesn't mind bolter fire from up to 24" away. Keep in mind, too, that WoN will also offer up those points if you get all your guys juiced. And if you don't? Well...then that upgrade was a brood-wise point dump. It is very tempting, but use it wisely either way!

Elites: Three? Wow...Lictors are OK and all, and I know you'll have a possibility of 4 units in Reserve but I think you'll be better off with one or two. It will still get you a reroll or two and if you camp them behind some Gaunts or whatnot then not only will they confer Tendrils but also get a 2+ cover save for being behind them.

Heavy: Not too bad a choice for what I think you are trying with your Zoanthropes. Remember that unless the squad has a power weapon in it, those things are great for tying up units in endless CC. Your Carnifex is a solid CC build, but relying on Regen for wound recovery is the same as relying on Warp Field to protect you from powerfist attacks...it just ain't happening. Especially in the current meta (I imagine not confined to just my own) where everyone and their brother packs power fists/klaws/weapons.

On a similar note the Carapace on it won't protect you from AP 1 or 2 ranged weapons including such favorites as lascannons and melta weapons. So unless your opponent is missile-launcher happy, you can drop that too to free up points. WS-I isn't bad but most opponents are going to kill their other guys that don't have the powerfist first so you aren't going to beat him in initiative vs. unsaveable wounds in CC. Toxic Miasma isn't too shabby as it will most of the time make your attacks easier to land. Maybe also put some points to Tusks for an extra attack on the charge and a Mace Tail.

I hope this helps some. Try playing with points you may have freed up or rededicated to see where it sits and how it balances out! =)
    Human beings, while exceptional in the ability to learn from the mistakes of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

have you ever read the actual geenstealer cult armylist?
    Dark Eldar: 9/1/2 Winning streak: 6
    Tyranids: 16/3/4 Winning Streak: 8
    inquisition:4/0/3 Winning streak:0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Yup, from the old 2nd edition codex.

Why do you ask?
    - Just love that maki! -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hahahah lol woops, i was talking about the updated 5th ed one! lol my bad, i forgot to specafy bell of lost souls have updated it to 5th ed. it is not official, but it's the next best thing as several tournies here in australia accept this mini dex, including arcanacon. One of the biggest tournaments in the southern heminsphere, 150+ players this year! 1 guy in at arc had an AWSOME geenstealer cult army! some of the modles he had in his civilion units where roadworkers wielding big assed stop signes as weapons!

if you do decede to make a geentealer cult, it may be hard for people to comment on your list, as i doubt many people have read it! i've had a pritty good read over the armylist, so i'd be happy to give any comments if you like!!!

oh, here's the link!

Warhammer 40k & Warhammer Fantasy Battle News | Bell of Lost Souls: PLAY-AID: Genestealer Cults Mini-dex from BoLS
    Dark Eldar: 9/1/2 Winning streak: 6
    Tyranids: 16/3/4 Winning Streak: 8
    inquisition:4/0/3 Winning streak:0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Thanks for the link!

Sadly enough, only official GW armies are allowed in Italy, so I'll have to stick with this tyranid adaptation... =_(
    - Just love that maki! -

+ Reply to Thread