Help me with Genestealer heavy list? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

Help me with 1850 Genestealer heavy list?

There are very few Tyranid models that I actually like so I want to create a list using only the Broodlord, Genestealers, Lictors, and Ravenors. I'm inexperienced at building a bug army but I've been playing IG for a long time. This is what I have on hand (1851 pts). How can I shape it better?

HQ
    BroodLord 70
    Ext. Carapace 10
    Feeder Tendrils 03

Retinue
    Genestealers x10
    Ext. Carapace 40
    Scything Talons 40

Elites
    Lictors x2 160

Troops
    Genestealers x12
    Ext. Carapace 48
    Scuttlers 36

Genestealers x12
    Ext. Carapace 48
    Scuttlers 36

Genestealers x12
    Ext. Carapace 48
    Scuttlers 36

Genestealers x12
    Ext. Carapace 48
    Scuttlers 36

Fast Attack
    Ravenors x6 180
    Scything Talons 48
    Deathspitters 36

Are there any obvious holes/mistakes in this army aside from the lack of vehicle stopping power?

Last edited by RexTalon; January 28th, 2009 at 14:09. Reason: pts

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Apart from the afore mentioned lack of anti-tank, I see one great problem with the list: the lack of flesh-hooks!

With the new edition losing initiative in hand to hand is extremely easy and with all those stealers you are bound to have at least 50% (considering a standard scenario) assaults through cover and as much as stealers are hard hitting combat machines, if they don't strike first, they usually get beaten quite hard!

The lictors can double-up as anti-tank, remembering that with the new set of rules hits in hth against vehicles go automatically on the rear armor, meaning you should be able to take down or at least hinder most vehicles (exception made for land raiders and monoliths, which will be completely untoucheable, but can usually just be ignored). Bu considering their deep-strike deployment, maybe a third one would help in being sure of getting at least one in contact with a vehicle.
    - Just love that maki! -

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

I have two suggestions for this list the first is to give the raveners rending, this dramaticaly improve their effectiveness VS marines and tanks. Raveners can deal out a lot of pain to tanks, but they're often suicidal units so pick their tagets carefully. The other sugestion is not to play this list at all unless in tournaments. whilst this list is very strong and will have a character of its own opponents will see 58 genestealers, cry for a while, get beaten and acuse your list of being "Beardy." I used to run a similar list to this and after a while the moaning of my opponents (and being bombed by vindiccators all day long) forced me to change. whilst i wholy agree that making a lsit as good as it can be is fine, if you play in a club envronment it can be a little overpowering. Feel free to uterly ignore that monolouge above and go for it, perhaps i just played with a bunch of sissys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

Remove the deathspitters from the Raveners. They should be fleeting, not shooting. If you want shooting, grab some warriors.

Your list is, frankly, not that great, but it's a theme list so not really meant to be. Lictors, in particular, are an abomination. They weren't worth their points when the book came out, and with the nerf to rending, they certainly aren't worth their points now. For 160 points, you could have 4 warriors with deathspitters and a barbed strangler.
    "Tell me what you cherish most. Give me the pleasure of taking it away." Sephiroth, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Everybody is always crying out about how lictors are uselss... I on the other hand find them very good if used accordingly.

Certainly, if you take them singularly they are quite weak for 80pts, but consider all the pluses they can give the rest of your army.

- They can lend a hand in hth with they feeder tendrils: just pop them near any unit that is in an assault and... HEY PRESTO! Everybody gets re-rolls on hitting!

- Rerolls on reserves! With the new outflanking rules, you see more and more 'stealers popping out from reserves... well... you don't want them to pop out on this turn? Just reroll that success and hope you miss it. Or on the other hand: those termies have just poppe sooo near that table edge and you are dieing for your stealers to go and munch on them? You have a reroll just to be on the safe side.

- Tank popping: aye, it's suicidal, but having a lictor gang-bang that darned basilisk that's been hiding behind the woods will mean that he gets shot to pieces by the start of your next turn, but most probibaly you will have saved your other models from pie-plated death!

Don't think of units as one-offs... think in synergie! If that's one thing that playing eldar has taught me is that you must think of how different units work together to manage a victory!

Or you can play SMurfs and just stand and shoot!
    - Just love that maki! -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

So for certain I'll remove the deathspitters and add flesh-hooks all around and rending claws to the Ravenors.

Let's see what that comes out to... 1888pts.
    Now I need to either shave 38 pts or add 112 and play 2000 pt games. I'd rather do the former...

Quote Originally Posted by RexTalon View Post
    HQ
    BroodLord 70
    Ext. Carapace 10
    Feeder Tendrils 03
    Flesh-hooks 03

Retinue
    Genestealers x10
    Flesh-hooks 10
    Ext. Carapace 40
    Scything Talons 40

Elites
    Lictors x2 160

Troops
    Genestealers x12
    Flesh-hooks 12
    Ext. Carapace 48
    Scuttlers 36

Genestealers x12
    Flesh-hooks 12
    Ext. Carapace 48
    Scuttlers 36

Genestealers x12
    Flesh-hooks 12
    Ext. Carapace 48
    Scuttlers 36

Genestealers x12
    Flesh-hooks 12
    Ext. Carapace 48
    Scuttlers 36

Fast Attack
    Ravenors x6 180
    Rending Claws 60
    Last edited by RexTalon; January 28th, 2009 at 21:48.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

D-: I had a long post, but the site stopped responding so...here is this instead.

Firstly I agree completely with Kheldar, tactically Lictors can be extremely useful so I am happy you put them in here.

To get to 2000pts I would add a CC Carnifex so you can deal with Dreadnoughts. Most likely this could act as, at least, a fire magnet for your Genestealers.

Losing 38pts is pretty easy so I'll let you do that.

To get to 1500pts (If you want to) I would have two Genestealer squads use scuttlers still and have these number x8 and I would have two without scuttlers and have these number x10 each. Also knock the Ravener brood down to x3.

I would have two without scuttlers because since you have Ex. Carapace they should be moderately surviveable and I would just flank march the scuttlers.

These changes to your list would put you at 1480pts if I remember right.

good luck using your list in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

I appreciate the help.

I'll play with the changes in scuttlers and see what I come up with. For now I just dropped one Ravenor to make up the pts.

The CC Carnifex doesn't really fit my theme, but if I were to model/convert him to look like a really big Genestealer then it might be worth it.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

As you probably know, playing both guards and tyranids, the biggest weakness of this army is its susceptability to ranged firepower. Basically you need lots of terrain for cover and speed to reach your opponents.

Just a thought, but maybe your should consider scuttlers for your genies over talons. Imagine 6" free move + 6" regular move + 6" fleet + 6" charge = possible 1st turn assault! Otherwise you'd probably lose at least 1/3 of your army to 1st turn fire alone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by jy2 View Post
    As you probably know, playing both guards and tyranids, the biggest weakness of this army is its susceptability to ranged firepower. Basically you need lots of terrain for cover and speed to reach your opponents.

Just a thought, but maybe your should consider scuttlers for your genies over talons. Imagine 6" free move + 6" regular move + 6" fleet + 6" charge = possible 1st turn assault! Otherwise you'd probably lose at least 1/3 of your army to 1st turn fire alone.
    That Genestealer brood with the talons is the retinue for the Broodlord. They can't scuttle as they are attached to him, so I decided to give them an extra attack instead. All of the rest of my Genestealer broods already have Scuttlers. Thanks for your input though, I appreciate your help.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast