Librarium Online Forums banner

1750 Army-List Standard (help me beat Tau and IG)

997 views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  mast 
#1 ·
Hi, this is my first post! Although I've been lurking in the dark alot.
I am having trouble beating Tau and IG with my necron army. And will now try to post my armylist here and see if any experienced necron players could give me a hand.

This is what I will try the next "friendly tournament":

ANTI TANK
-----------
H 165 3x Tomb Spyder
H 195 3x Heavy Destroyer
F 160 10x Scarab Swarms (D.Field)
F 160 10x Scarab Swarms (D.Field)

TROOPS
---------
T 180 10x Warriors
T 180 10x Warriors
T 180 10x Warriors
T 180 10x Warriors

SCARE TACTICS
------------------
HQ 300 1x Deciever

The reason I have no Monolith in this list is because they tend to blow up alot against Tau and IG. And having a Deciever going around forcing Tau and IG players to roll for leadership all the time sounds good. I have never tried this before but at least it sounds good.
Also, this is the first time I dont have a necron lord with orb with me.

Regards Peter

See less See more
#2 ·
Oooooo a new guy :sinister:

Anti Tank.
Tomb spyders? 3 of them? it's like you're trying to get on my good side or something. :soldier: Remember that a lone spyder can most likely down an entire troops squad on it's own, this includes heavy armored targets, Tau suits and imperial stormtroopers are other good targets for them.

I would suggest not using scarabs as anti tank. Against Tau/IG they can get into enemy squads and actually win combat for you, use them as assaulters. The amount of points you'd save by not taking d-fields could save you enough points to get a fourth heavy destroyer (split them into two squads of two). Perhaps split into 3 squads of 7 scarabs? The more flexibility you have with them the better, they can act as cover saves for your warriors as well as tying up enemy formations.

I personally don't find HDs very effective, however I also don't face many vehicle-heavy lists. Try their firepower against crisis suits as well, you can one-shot them with an HG cannon.

Troops.
Looks good to me, 40 warriors will give you plenty of ranks to grind down enemy infantry. I find Immortals to be highly effective against both armies, especially tau. That's up to your preferences though. Warriors are tough and their shooting will do some good damage to your opponents. Remember to feel free to shoot at vehicles if you get in range to do so.

Scare Tactics
The Deceiver is a great choice against both armies, however IG and tau have plenty of firepower capable of taking it down. Use cover unless you don't mind watching your C'tan get shot up quite a lot. Its powers are wonderful against the low-leadership tau and guardsmen however, and The Deceiver can murder any opponent you decide to face in close combat.

Any information on your opponent's list types would help a lot as far as giving input goes as well. Welcome to LO Mast, and best wishes with your Necrons.

#3 · (Edited)
Usually IG has 2 Bassilisks crammed into a corner furthest away on the table, lots of lascannons in several groups and one tank (different models time to time).
Tau always has two hammerheads and a group of suits with the same firepower as the tanks.
Since they always keep those units as far away from me as they can it's always me that is trying to gain ground the first two rounds. And getting hammered on my way over =p
I usually don't use Heavy Destroyers either, but I guess I'm getting desperate =/
About the scarabs, if you are lucky 7-10 of them can wipe 1 or more tanks quite easily. But maybe you are right, maybe I should use them against infantry instead. But they are fast and reaches the enemy side rather quickly.

EDIT: Thanks btw, for answering and the strategies!

#4 ·
Ah yes...always a pain chasing down shooty armies. With the scarabs, again consider using them as a fence to give your other units cover saves, you could use them against the sort of fire being laid on your doorstep (you could ALSO use a resorb by those means) You make a valid point, scarabs can take out vehicles but since you're paying for other means by which to do this, that are likely to be more effective, I say you should use them in other rolls (tying up heavy weapon squads and crisis suits sound fun? they can do that pretty well.)

Hey maybe HDs will work out for you, the situation sure sets you up to be well served by a bunch of flying lascannons. Check the indexes maybe someone has a tactica note or 3 worked out on them.

What all do you have to work with? Also, how long have you been one of us?

You're welcome btw, it's no trouble at all. I might be mildly obsessed with Necrons, you've only offered yourself as a new victim to my rantings. :E

#5 · (Edited)
I've been playing 40k for a year now, so I'm quite new. Didd't think I would enjoy it so much as I do I just tried it out with a couple of friends. Afterward I went and bought me a necron army ^^

My arsenal consists of:

3 Tomb Spyders
7 Destroyers
2 Lords
1 Monolith
4 Immortals [make them in plastic dammit!]
2 Heavy Destroyers [using destroyers as replacement if needed]
10 Flayed Ones [useless?]
1 Nightbringer [used as Deciever sometimes]
22 Scarab Swarms
40 Warriors
3 Wraiths

So ok, If I remove the Heavy Destroyers and remove the D.Field on the scarabs. What will take those Hammerheads out for me? It takes a while for my soldiers and spyders to get close enough.
Or should I just endure the heavy fire and concentrate on killing the other "stuff"?

#6 ·
Run of the mill destroyers do the job well enough in my experience. As I said though, if you feel they might help, go ahead and take them. Both can solve your vehicle problems, though just about anythin in our army can take down a vehicle in a pinch. Look at wraiths maybe too, they'll likely get some pen his on a charge.

As I said, heavy destroyers might prove very helpful against tau, for killing crisis suits just as much as eliminating vehicles. You should know how vital it is to take out those plasmaguns. Scarabs don't really cut it for tying them up properly either.

#7 · (Edited)
Ok, I've decided to go with one of these lists. I cant really decide which one to go with. If you have any comments, you are welcome.
Also, this is probably a silly question, but in your experience, is it worth leaving destroyers in difficult terrain when you know that they are most likely to get shot by instakill weapons?

I will return with information on how the match went on sunday if you are interested.

H 165 3x Tomb Spyder
H 195 3x Heavy Destroyer
H 130 2x Heavy Destroyer

F 84 7x Scarab Swarms
F 84 7x Scarab Swarms
F 72 6x Scarab Swarms

T 180 10x Warriors
T 180 10x Warriors
T 180 10x Warriors
T 180 10x Warriors

HQ 300 1x Deciever

H 165 3x Tomb Spyder

F 84 7x Scarab Swarms
F 84 7x Scarab Swarms
F 250 5x Destroyer

T 180 10x Warriors
T 180 10x Warriors
T 180 10x Warriors
T 180 10x Warriors

E 140 5x Immortals

HQ 300 1x Deciever

Ohh, and I read your tactica on spyders. Good job!

#10 · (Edited)
He managed to kill two of my spiders before doing anything good, which was sad and got me thinking of switching the elites to more spiders. (What are your take on that? I reckon the use of them will progress the more of them you field)

But the swarms managed to lock two of his units, preventing some cracks going my way.

One group of my warriors was busy firing 15-20 shots (each turn) at a dreadnought that used deep strike to land in my DP and since it had a flamer and was blocking my way I wanted to get a weapon destroyed on him before proceeding. They managed to make him immobile and stunned the entire game but never managed to get damaged weapon on him. Very annoying.

My destroyers did all they could and performed nicely, his tanks was stunned or shaken most of the time + weapon destroyed on both a drop pod and a tank.

My Deceiver wiped a unit and survived the entire game. Although he did not manage to get as many points as he should. I'm thinking of using him more on vehicles next time.

#11 ·
I dont have a good solid strategy against the tau, but I have a wicked one for IG

For the Guard, scarabs, flayed ones, and wraiths can be devasting, especially if you can combo a forced retreat + charge on them. Pariahs can also be useful if the IG fields a psyker. If you field a monolith, use it to deepstrike/transport troops into a better field placement/ or even better use it to screen your Warriors to avoid PO.

For most IG vehicles, including the baneblade, you can use destroyers to score glancing hits and possibly disable the main cannon, or force the crew to be shaken for one round. 3 heavy destroyers can level a baneblade as long as the destroyers keep it stunned/disable a gun or 3 if you get lucky

Once you have removed all of the guards vehicles/artillery, then deepstrike the monolith, if it's still there and use that to rape face on all the surviving guard

For a point of reference, against the guard (same player) , I am 5-2-0 with necrons
with the orks i'm 12-1-0

my orks tend to always outshoot the guard,

#13 · (Edited)
I would only use pariahs against IG since their HQ doubles IG morale (open to correction)

I think a fear list would go far against them me thinks

I'd replace the Deciever with a fear Lord though but thats just how I work.it also gives you some more points to spend on destroyers.

how about:
Necron Lord - Chrono, GoF, Orb, Nightmare Shroud - 195
5 Pariahs - 180
10 Warriors - 180
10 Warriors - 180
10 Warriors - 180
10 Scarabs - 120
10 Scarabs - 120
5 Destroyers - 250
2 Spyders - 110
Lith - 235

Total = 1750 PO at 8

#14 ·
If possible try and pick up a couple flayed ones and pariahs, if not try and proxy them in. It really depends on the group you play with. As long as you let them know exactly what the models you proxy in are and what they are equiped with, it should be pretty kosher.

A realitively cheap source of models (compared to 40k) are the 3.5/4th ed d&d minis. I use a bunch of simillar sized minis and paint them all one color to represent whatever units i need.

#15 ·
Xirmant - Interesting list, how do you utilize the lord in that list? Do you place him in a unit of warriors and go marching towards IG troops? Or wait until the lith is in and can teleport them? Also, the Pariahs, is there some neat trick you can use to make them last longer and still do some good with their morale ability.

Galenrog - I will look into those D&D minis, thanks!

#16 ·
well the lord is with the pariahs since as soon as they are within 12" of something he can make all of them take Ld instead of shooting and if they fail bye bye imps :p

anyways you keep pariahs behind the warriors since they will get a cover save

scarabs turboboost towards any guard with heavy weapons like lascannons and plasma and tie them up

you can deal with any ordnance via destroyers of pariah blasters since any glance can stop it from shootin ya.

lith is there for extra WBB and sheer ownage when in range :)

spyders are along for the ride

Reactions: mast
#17 ·
I usually field my Lord, with an Orb, Destroyer Body, and Phylactery, to make it tougher/faster/more frustrating to deal with. It honestly depends on my mood whether i send my lord in with my warriors or have him hang back with the pariahs.

One way to make your pariahs last longer is to screen them the tomb spyders/scarabs. the problem with that is, you probably need the scarabs to tie up any hard hitting infantry units

#18 ·
My IG-playing friend have, in my honor, bought two hell hounds. I'm pretty sure my scarab swarms made him do so. I can't play with this setup with him for awhile since we are playing a friendly tournament right now but I will try this very setup next time I play against him and report back.
Thanks for all the advice btw! I actually noticed myself getting better since I visited librarium.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.