2000 Points Necron List (3 Monoliths) - Not Apocalypse - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x1)

2000 Points Necron List (3 Monoliths) - Not Apocalypse

Hi there. Following up from my thread in the main Necron forum, regarding the use of three Monoliths in non-apoc games, can you good people out there c&c the following list based on the assumption that the only thing that cannot be changed is that the list must contain all three monoliths. For comments and discussion of whether or not three monoliths is a cheese/beard strategy, please comment in the other thread.

I'm not designing for play against any specific force (although my friend's Space Marines are likely to bear the brunt of any tryouts ). My instinct with this list would be to keep anything capable of Deepstriking in reserve, and then jamming the whole lot down the enemy's throat as soon as it is available (unless the opponent's set up or mission rules indicated that that would be foolish or not allowed).

HQ: Lord (165 Pts)
    WarScythe; Phylactery; Resurrection Orb

Elite: Flayed Ones (5 @ 90 Pts)

Elite: Immortals (5 @ 140 Pts)

5 x Troops: Warriors (10 @ 180 Pts)

3 x Heavy Support: Monolith (235 Pts)

Total 2000pts.

Phase out @ 15 Necrons left

If it helps when offering advice, the other models I have available at present are 3 more flayed ones, 1 more immortal, 14 more warriors, 5 destroyers, 15 scarab swarms, 1 lord with SoL, 1 Destroyer Lord with scythe & orb and 4 tomb spyders.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by pinky_si; February 10th, 2009 at 00:41. Reason: added link to other thread
    I have too many armies to list in my signature!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x3)

The immediate problem with this list is mobility and lack of range.

Yeah, the monoliths are sweet, but they have horrible range (depending on the battle type), 24inches and 12 inches.

As soon as your immortals are taken out, you're stuck with only the monolith and rapid fire weapons. Unless you get your troops in place RIGHT AWAY, you're boned against any assault weapons.

Less troops, maybe 3 units of 12? or 4 units of 10.
    Drop the flayed ones, they're not that great and if you intend to deepstrike them, thats very unpredictable in 5th (and you can't DS them from reserves through a monolith portal).

If you do the 3 squads of 12, and dropped the flayed ones, you should be able to field all your destroyers (our bread and butter omgwtfbbq unit), unless im totaly lost on points right now, dont have the codex infront of me.

Only way I can see this working is if you DS 2 of the monoliths, praying for good rolls to get them on the table in turn 2 and 3, and then pulling your necron warriors around where they need to be with them, hoping that the monliths last long enough to do it.

Everyone will pound those monoliths with everything they have, I've never had one last more than 2 turns without getting immobilized, so it's kinda a point sink using almost half your points on 3 units that COULD go out in 1 turn against certain armies (eldar/dark eldar/IG/Tau), and hell, most every other army can get a lucky lascannon shot in too.

I'd at the most use 2 outside of apocalypse, so not all my eggs were in 1 basket.
    Yes, I did deep-strike your sister...
    Necrons : W-8 D-3 L-7 (Sleeping in their TombFoam, waiting for a new codex)
    Chaos Forces (CSM/CD): W-42 D-19 L-28
    Apocalypse Games : W-4 D-0 L-1 (4 Titans, Brass Scorp, 3 Baneblades, 2 Bombers, 3 Fighters, and a Partrage in a Pear Tree)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

52 (x1)

Thanks for the suggestions. I take your point about lack of range, but with three portals to teleport through, mobility shouldn't be a problem for the regular foot sloggers.

By dropping the flayed ones, one unit of 10 warriors and the Warscythe from the lord, I get enough points to put in an extra immortal (for a squad of 6) and a 5 strong destroyer wing - this leaves me with;

Lord, SoL & Orb & Phylactry

6x Immortal

4x 10 Warriors

3x Monolith

5x Destroyer

1998pts total

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x3)

That's a much better list, but you might want to possibly do 2 squads of the destroyers, a 3 and 2man squad, gives a bit more mobility, and we almost always pass leadership tests.
    Yes, I did deep-strike your sister...
    Necrons : W-8 D-3 L-7 (Sleeping in their TombFoam, waiting for a new codex)
    Chaos Forces (CSM/CD): W-42 D-19 L-28
    Apocalypse Games : W-4 D-0 L-1 (4 Titans, Brass Scorp, 3 Baneblades, 2 Bombers, 3 Fighters, and a Partrage in a Pear Tree)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nhyx View Post
    That's a much better list, but you might want to possibly do 2 squads of the destroyers, a 3 and 2man squad, gives a bit more mobility, and we almost always pass leadership tests.
    According to my Necron Codex, Destroyer's go in squads of 3 as a minimum, so splitting the unit of 5 isn't going to work.
    About passing leadershiptests that easy, last weekend I had a game in which I lost a squad of 3 Destroyer's (I knew I had to field them as a squad of 5) due to one Destroyer being shot down. It forced me to take a leadershiptest and the dice-gods where cracking themselves up, leaving me with a 11 on the test roll and another 11 on the fall back move... straight of the edge into oblivion. Now, I don't want to know the probability of these number's, just saying that it is possible. My advice, field them as a squad of 5, a squad of 3 is just to minimum.

Cheers!
    Frank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would drop the immortals and add more destroyers. You will have trouble taking out leman russ/basalisks due to the poor range of the only ant tank weapon in the whole army(PW) Destroyers could help you with the lighter armour though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like the revised list. Just a personal preference, but I would drop a unit of warriors (down to 3 x 10 ) and add another immortal and 3 destroyers. That way you could have a decent sized immortal squad along with 2 squads of 4 destroyers. That'd probably be a stronger list imo; more range/firepower for a little lower PO #. Either way I like it.
    After 2 turns:
    "What the #%&! I killed 14 warriors and only 2 actually died?!"
    "Looks like you're going to have to do something else!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Well given your resources there's only a few things I could say to improve the list you're forming.
    Instead of a phylactery on the lord, try a gaze of flame instead. Keep the lord in your frontmost squad of troops, and use them to receive charges, the gaze will drop the number of attacks you face, and your monos can pull you out.

I'd say for purposes of FIELDING the army though, Keep three squads of warriors, and two monoliths to put on the board first turn along with your immortals destroyers and lord. This will allow you to form a core phalanx and have enough bodies to get started. Keep your third mono and fourth warrior squad in reserve to drop in be a nuisance, this gives you some added tactical flexibility and the option to flank your enemies later in the game when they are more spread out.

Nhyx, Eldar and DEldar are hard pressed to kill monoliths, their silly "lance" weapons do not work!
    Lascannons, Railguns, ordinance and a few MCs are all the mono really has to worry about, they are oppressively tough, careful about getting them immobilized though, if they get stuck I wouldn't advise straying far from them.

Also, you're going to have to be a little more careful with your destroyers/immortals, once the squad is gone, the squad is gone, that's the end of the story. Remember that monos can port both of them, even out of combat, just as easily as they can with warriors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

52 (x1)

Thanks for the advice - it sounds like a good fielding strategy, and I'll try it out next time I get the chance to play a 2000pt game.

I will eventually get around to increasing the number of destroyers/immortals etc. that I own, but I've promised myself that I won't buy anything else until I have finished my "to do" list to bring up all four of my current armies (ranging in size from 3000pts to 10000pts) to fully finished status.

+ Reply to Thread