2000pt Concerned about Tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000pt Concerned about Tau

This list is not aimed at killing Tau but I need to be able to fight them. Most players are marines but I have struggled against Tau in the past.

HQ: Farseer
    • Fortune
    • Runes of Witnessing
    HQ: Farseer
    • Fortune
    • Runes of Witnessing
    • Spirit Stone
    • Doom
    Elite: Howling Banshees x 10
    • Exarch
    • Mirroswords
    • Waveserpent
    • TL shuriken cannons
    • Star Engines
    • Vectored Engines
    Elite: Striking Scorpions x 8
    • Exarch
    • Scorpion's Claw
    • Shadowstrike
    • Stalker
    Troop: Dire Avenger x 10
    • Exarch
    • Power Weapon and Shimmer Shield
    • Blade Storm
    • Defend
    • Waveserpent
    • TL bright lances
    Troop: Dire Avenger x 10
    • Exarch
    • Power Weapon and Shimmer Shield
    • Blade Storm
    • Defend
    • Waveserpent
    • TL bright lances
    Troop: Pathfinders x 8

Heavy: Fireprism
    • Holofield
    • Holofield
    • Holofield

My plan is to outflank with the striking scorpions and hurl the banshee at the Tau's main fire warrior block. The transport would be fortuned and moving fast enough for a 4+ cover save. The dire avengers are mechanized because I have had poor experiences with foot slogging eldar avengers. The farseer with doom is with the banshees and the other farseer with protecting the pathfinders.

Any advice or tips is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

"Drop emergency bulkheads! Activate compression rams! Set internal bracing! Issue brace for impact alert! I repeat, brace for impact!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

So I take it you're mostly looking for tactical advice as opposed to list changes?

I think your key problem is that in 5th edition you can't sweeping advance into other units. So if you win a combat on your turn, which you often will do, than they get to freely open up on your troops.

So the first thing is that your second farseer needs to protect what needs to be protected. The pathfinders may very well be a low priority target and fairly able to take care of themselves.

However their may be lots of units in great need of fortune in the thick of things.

I'd also suggest throwing the Dire avengers forward just the same as the banshees. They are quite capable of beating down Tau units. And you need to engage a lot of their army fast or your banshees will just get shot down, and your scorpeons won't make it in.

Actually DA may be very useful as they may sometimes win combats on the Tau turn, freeing them up for charges on your turn.

Also on pressing the Tau. Don't be afraid to move the fire prisms forward. IF a fire prism is safe from a missile weapon, but the missile can hit a wave serpent it doesn't really matter that the prism is safe. Moving them forward may let you tank shock or ram with them if they're shocked or lose their main weapon.

Also the scorps might not always want to outflank. Without a transport they're a little slow and Tau may not be near the edge they arrive on. I know you don't want to get mowed down on Turn one. And sometimes outflanking will be the best choice, But at least ask yourself

1. Is there something that fully blocks line of sight they could hide behind if they infiltrate.
    2. Is there some spot they could infiltrate where the units that can shoot at them would also threaten other units. For example if the crisis suits you're worried about shooting the scorps are agoing to be able to hit your seprent when you star engine it forward it might be worth moving them up.

Alternatively something you might want to mess with is loading the scorps up in a DA waveserpent. It's a bit tricky, but you can do it. And that might prove a better delivery method.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply. I didn't think about moving the Prisms up. Tank shock could be useful against an opponent who is only LD 8. I might move the farseer to an avenger squad instead. Thats not a bad idea because he would more likely want to kill who is about to charge him rather than a handful of snipers.
    "Drop emergency bulkheads! Activate compression rams! Set internal bracing! Issue brace for impact alert! I repeat, brace for impact!"

+ Reply to Thread