Adapting to 5th 1250 (going to 1000 and 1500) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

Adapting to 5th 1250 (going to 1000 and 1500)

Alright here's the basic list. Obviously some things are missing like the farseers power. And one of the serpents weapons. The question is what to give? I'm hoping to get some more eldar weapons by at the moment my options are a bit limited. (I'm down to a spare shuri cannon and a starcannon).

Anyway

Farseer

10x scorps. Exarc w stalker, biting blade, AND claw. (for 5 points I might need that thing some time and otherwise it doens't hurt.)
    In a wave serpent, dual scatter lasers.

TROOPS:
    10x guardians with BL
    10x guardians with BL
    6x jetbikes, 2 cannon, + warlock with spear and embolden
    5x DA (ride around with seer in falcon. Mostly for scoring and the occasional drive by

Also one of the guardians gets a
    Wave serpent ?

D-cannons x2 (in one unit)

Falcon, eml, holo field

Points so far 1215 so to make the army fit if I take guide and scatters on the second serpent I'd have to cut a couple points somewhere (biting blade and stalker?)

Strategy is to lure them in toward the D-cannons. However the bulk of my army will move away leaving chargy type opponents in the wrong corner (also I wouldn't set the cannons and their guardians by my objective, unless I'm fighting a shooty army. The objective would be out in the open so I can shoot at them if they're on it, and so they have to get from the guards, cannon to get to it if they do kill those units.

As I said the rest of the army slides off pouring fire while hopefully getting some cover saves and a charge.

To go down to 1000 points I'd drop the D-cannons and footslogging guardians, and maybe a scorp or two so I just have a mech list.

Going up to 1500 I would add a fire prism and a pair of EML vypers.

Thoughts for powers/weapons/tactics or things to switch out etc?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the Scorpions, I don't think they should ever be in a transports. If you were using banshees, it would be a different story. Either give them no Exarch powers and leave them as a counter charge unit, or give them both Stalker and Shadowstrike and have them infiltrate. Also, I don't really think you need the biting blade if you're already taking the claw. Its a two handed weapon so you're not getting an extra attack for having two close combat weapons and you're gambling on strength for increased initiative and lower cost. Take one or the other, but I feel its a waste to take both.

IDK much about guardians, but I don't think they should be given a transport unless they are Storm Guardians, since you really want them hiding in cover and firing their weapon. Also, 5 Dire Avengers seems like way too few, especially w/o an Exarch to bladestorm.

I have no idea what the weapons available for the heavy support battery do, so I'll skip that.

Falcon seems ok, though I feel adding another S8 weapon is a waste, so I'd stick with something cheap like the shuriken cannon. Holo-fields is great. I think every Eldar tank should have it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

With the scorpions in a transport they can be outflanked in the transport. getting a waveserpent into the enemy backfield is never a bad thing. If you don't want to outflank for the fight simply infiltrate the scorps and have the waveserpent start by your firebase and pick up a different unit.

I do agree that if a guardian squad is going to be in a transport they should be storm guardians. Two fusion guns make them an armor threat or two flamers make them decent at drive by flaming of hordes a warlock can up both with either a singing spear or a destructor.

The falcon set up is nice being able to use the plasma missle as defensive means you can move and fire the pluse and eml. I'm not a big fan of the 5 man DA squads in vehicles for scoring purposes but I understand the thoughts behind it.

Only thing I really don't like is the brightlances on the guardians 1 shot with low BS makes me leary of them, I haven't checked the points but moving the brightlances to the waveserpents (for rerolls ) and the scatter lasers to the guardians might be better.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by MandaloreV View Post
    . Also, I don't really think you need the biting blade if you're already taking the claw. Its a two handed weapon so you're not getting an extra attack for having two close combat weapons and you're gambling on strength for increased initiative and lower cost. Take one or the other, but I feel its a waste to take both.
    Um. I would love to be wrong. But the 5th edition BBB seems clear that you can't get an extra attack for a power fist, thunder hammer, or lighning claw unless the other weapon is the same. (see the end of the special melee weapons section.)

Frankly they should have made that bit in bright letters. I just know I'm going to be correcting other players on that for ages.

Or are we arguing that it's a power claw not a fist?

So I don't lose an attack going to the biting blade as I already didn't have one with the chainsword.

With the scorps. Infiltrating just seems like a way for them to die. Also in the melee heavy world today I don't think they'd be enough to function well as a footslogging countercharge unit. If I had supporting CC units that could be a different thing, but scorps all alone? I see them as going out and picking off straglers, laying into units not equipped for CC, and diving into CC when it's the only way to get an objective.

Though outflanking is tempting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post
    Um. I would love to be wrong. But the 5th edition BBB seems clear that you can't get an extra attack for a power fist, thunder hammer, or lighning claw unless the other weapon is the same. (see the end of the special melee weapons section.)

Frankly they should have made that bit in bright letters. I just know I'm going to be correcting other players on that for ages.
    The thing is since you replace your pistol with the claw and the claw functions as both a pistol and a fist, you can use it as a pistol in conjunction with the chainsword to give you the extra attack when you want to or use the claw as a fist in which case you lose the extra attack, but gain extra strength, or at least I think you can.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x3)

The thing is since you replace your pistol with the claw and the claw functions as both a pistol and a fist, you can use it as a pistol in conjunction with the chainsword to give you the extra attack when you want to or use the claw as a fist in which case you lose the extra attack, but gain extra strength, or at least I think you can.
    I'm away from my codex. But i'm pretty sure the claw has a shurican catapault not a pistol attached per the rules.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post
    I'm away from my codex. But i'm pretty sure the claw has a shurican catapault not a pistol attached per the rules.
    Well after reading, it appears you would be correct. I must have misread

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x3)

Well after reading, it appears you would be correct. I must have misread
    Well, the silver lining is that you get to fire an extra BS 5 shurican at the enemy that way. Which, actually is more likely to take out a model than an extra attack with a chainsword

So what do you think of the biting blade upgrade now?

While there are an number of situations where it could be useful, the primary way I see it being used is when there is a vehicle that didn't move last turn, and the scorps are in range. With automatic hits giving it strength 8 the biting blade is a great can opener so long as the can sits still.
    Last edited by sunnyside; February 19th, 2009 at 05:15.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Farseer

Nothing here as you said but doom and guide+ stones are very good. Runes of witnessing if you have points/bad luck. ( you probably know this but eh)

10x scorps. Exarc w stalker, biting blade, AND claw. (for 5 points I might need that thing some time and otherwise it doens't hurt.)
    In a wave serpent, dual scatter lasers.

You can declare to use the blade at the start of the combat instead of the claw so I suppose it adds some verstality if you can spare the points of course.
    Wave Serpent is probably best with a Bright Lance for cracking tanks and spirit stones don't hurt either as you always want it to be mobile. To be honest this squad isn't terrible to put into a wagon, it keeps it safe from shooting and they'll all get a hefty number of attacks when they pile out. Infiltrating isn't *as* useful as it looks at times and has to be played well. This is simpler and can be as deadly.

TROOPS:
    10x guardians with BL
    10x guardians with BL
    Cheap guardian squads are nice but I'd personally go for Eldar Missile Launchers over bright lances unless you really plan on fighting a lot of 13/14 stuff ( but then you add lances to the mobile serpents) Missile launchers can tackle tanks and infantry( at ap4! and cause pinning) A very very useful heavy weapon. These guys really do not need a wave serpent you just keep them slowly advancing and pounding away with weapons.
    6x jetbikes, 2 cannon, + warlock with spear and embolden
    Solid bike squad, destructor and enhance are both viable choices instead of embolden instead. Enhance gives them a bit more close combat punch and destructor is obviously a great troop killer..
    5x DA (ride around with seer in falcon. Mostly for scoring and the occasional drive by
    This is a pretty weak squad and you're going to see it evaporating a lot more quickly than you'd imagine. Your best with avengers is to stick 10 with an exarch into your wave serpent. If you want a mobile farseer then stick him on a Jetbike with your squad or independtly. Best units to put in falcons are either fire dragons for tank popping or banshees. Avengers just dont cut it at 5 I'm afraid.
    Also one of the guardians gets a
    Wave serpent ?
    Nah, best for avengers to have a serpent

D-cannons x2 (in one unit)
    Solid, squeeze in another if you can but these are generally underlooked fire support and make things go squishy.
    Falcon, eml, holo field
    Add another weapon to this, perhaps a cheap scatter laser. You can move 12 fire the laser and fire the EML with a plasma round as a defensive weapon. OR sit back and try to crack a tank with a krak round. Not a great deal you can mount in here but a good mobile carrier. Or as has been said small squads of storm guardians can be very effective especially with enhance warlocks.

Last edited by Twitch; February 20th, 2009 at 03:26.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post

Add another weapon to this, perhaps a cheap scatter laser. You can move 12 fire the laser and fire the EML with a plasma round as a defensive weapon. OR sit back and try to crack a tank with a krak round. Not a great deal you can mount in here but a good mobile carrier. Or as has been said small squads of storm guardians can be very effective especially with enhance warlocks.

Ok this bit confused me. First it seems like you want to swap out the EML for a scatter laser, but then are advocating the advantages of the EML.

And then I'm pretty sure that the smallest squad of stormies you can actually buy is 10. Otherwise I'd love to load them in a falcon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast