Balanced List - 1700 Tournament - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x1)

Balanced List - 1700 Tournament

I am planning to do a small tourney and I am a (re-)starting player to 40k. If anybody could comment my list and help, it would be appreciated.

Hive Tyrant 211
    Adrenal Glands (+1I)
    Implant Attack
    Toxin Sacs
    Toxic Miasma
    Winged
    Scything Talons x2
    Warp Field

Broodlord 93
    Extended Carapace
    Feeder Tendrils
    Toxin Sacs

Retinue:
    8 Genestealers 160
    Extended Carapace

1 Lictor

4 Tyranid Warriors 179
    Extended Carapace
    Toxin Sacs
    Deathspitter x3
    Barbed Strangler x1
    Scything Talons x3
    Rending Claws x1

2x 15 Hormagaunts 2x 195
    Adrenal Glands (+1I)
    Toxin Sacs

10 Genestealers 230
    Extended Carapace
    Scuttlers

2x 8 Gaunts 2x 64
    Spinefists
    Without Number

2 Zoanthropes 120
    Synapse Creature x1
    Warp Blast x2

1 Carnifex 148
    Enhanced Senses
    Barbed Strangler
    Venom Canon

The small gaunts units are there to sit on objectives (and lurk). Carnifex is the tank killer while Zoanthropes and Warriors are there against massed troops. The rest pretty much goes into CC as fast as possible. I am not a big fan of hormagaunts, especially because they cost so much, but I am limited by models (and I need troops).

What I can add to my list:
    4 Warriors
    6 Stealers
    30 gaunts
    1 lictors
    1 CC carnifex
    1 Hive tyrant with 1 Tyrant guard
    1 useless biovore with a lot of spore mines

Last edited by dapredator66; March 1st, 2009 at 22:50. Reason: Added Lictor + Tdogloftin comments

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dapredator66 View Post
    I am planning to do a small tourney and I am a (re-)starting player to 40k. If anybody could comment my list and help, it would be appreciated.

Hive Tyrant 218
    Adrenal Glands Which One? Should be the I one of you already have Toxic Miasma
    Implant Attack
    Toxin Sacs
    Toxic Miasma
    Winged
    Lash Whip & Bonesword Never been a fan. Would rather get another pair of scything Talons for the extra attack.
    Scything Talons
    Warp Field

Broodlord 105
    Extended Carapace
    Feeder Tendrils
    Implant Attack Can't have both implant attack and feeder tendrils, so remove this.
    Toxin Sacs

Retinue:
    9 Genestealer 180
    Extended Carapace

5 Tyranid Warriors 190
    Enhanced Senses Don't need it, because the deathspitter is auto hit, but will scatter. ES is just a waste of points.
    Extended Carapace
    Toxin Sacs
    Deathspitter
    Rending Claws Not as of 5th, should use Scything Talons instead for cheapness and an extra attack.

2x 15 Hormagaunt 2x 210
    Adrenal Glands (+1I)
    Adrenal Glands (+1WS) You will be hitting on fours anyways, but it's your choice. if you face many WS 3 people, take it. but if you face SM or the like i would remove.
    Toxin Sacs

11 Genestealer 220 I'd give these guys scuttlers if you can. Outflanking Genes are always fun!
    Extended Carapace

8 Gaunt 48
    Fleshborer

8 Gaunt 40 If you can, give these guys WON. you can rush them forward, then when they die they come back and reclaim your back objective. You can also use them as a screen for your genestealers, and then they die and come back.
    Spinefists

2 Zoanthrope 130
    Psychic Scream
    Warp Blast

1 Carnifex 148
    Enhanced Senses
    Barbed Strangler
    Venom Canon

The small gaunts units are there to sit on objectives (and lurk). Carnifex is the tank killer while Zoanthropes and Warriors are there against massed troops. The rest pretty much goes into CC as fast as possible. I am not a big fan of hormagaunts, especially because they cost so much, but I am limited by models (and I need troops).

What I can add to my list:
    4 Warriors
    6 Stealers
    30 gaunts
    1 lictors
    1 CC carnifex
    1 Hive tyrant with 1 Tyrant guard
    1 useless biovore with a lot of spore mines
    I'm not a big fan of the uber carnifex, or hive tyrant. You can always switch your Hive Tyrant to a Devil Tyrant which has Wings, 2x TW Dev, ES, TS, and Warp Field for 196 points. It's really your choice, just a lot of people prefer that. also, make sure you keep your hormies in synapse, or else they are useless. Otherwise, a good list!
    "How ironic it is that as fast as we spread progress and hope throughout the galaxy, the Tyranids spread death and despair."
    - Aun'shi of the Tau

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

96 (x1)

Does anyone think 2 units of 8 gaunts (with without number) are too much?
    How about one unit and a small squad of 6 genestearlers instead?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen many lists with 8x Spinegaunts with WON, but one problem for you might be that your list lacks a bit of objective holding. three out of your five squads will be rushing to combat, winning, then getting shot up.
    "How ironic it is that as fast as we spread progress and hope throughout the galaxy, the Tyranids spread death and despair."
    - Aun'shi of the Tau

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

As i personal opinion i hate sniper fexs, they never do any good for me, id swap for a cc fex. Other than that, id agree with evrything that been said by tdogloftin. Except for 1 thing. the hormaguants with WS, S and I are well worth it. And im not sure what he means, but id take them VS anyone. against Ws3 troopers you dont gain a lot, but the bonus vs WS 4 foes is fantastic. not only do you hit them on 3's but they hit you on 4's. Combine this with the bonus I and you have a unit that will butcher any basic infantry, except eldar, which willl still have difficulty in a stright fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

96 (x1)

Tdogloftin:
    11 Genestealer 220 I'd give these guys scuttlers if you can. Outflanking Genes are always fun!
    Extended Carapace

If I understand correctly all standard missions allows you to send any unit in reserve. Predicting the table side is more difficult I guess.

Heirodule :
    As i personal opinion i hate sniper fexs, they never do any good for me, id swap for a cc fex.

I am tempted to use a fex with scything talons and venom canon instead. Did you try something similar?
    Last edited by dapredator66; March 1st, 2009 at 23:40.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

96 (x1)

You can always switch your Hive Tyrant to a Devil Tyrant which has Wings, 2x TW Dev, ES, TS, and Warp Field for 196 points.

I like the idea of trading 1 CC attack for a twin-linked dev.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reserves come in on the edge of your table side. Outflank makes them be able to come in the player's left or right table edge. this means you can outflank on the side, fleet, then charge a unit sitting in the back of your opponents army shooting away. or you can kill tanks that sit in the back(Basilisks, hammerheads, Ravagers, etc.).

Also, Hierodule, i forgot Hormagaunts have WS4 to start off, sorry. I don't use them much . but yes, WS 5 Hormagaunts do sound fairly well with most of your opponenets being WS4.
    - Aun'shi of the Tau

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

well dapreadtor, i generaly use 3 types of fexs. 1 is the Crush claw and sythe tallons, the other is with 2 tl deathspitters. This is used to pop vehicles such as rhinos and trukks, and actually can blow it up, unlike a VC. I also like to use a mixed fex with a barbed strangler and crushing claws and a sythe tail. I like to use this to fire shots at the opponent in adavnce, then charge in with a possible 8 S10 and 3 S5 attacks. this, when combined with the strangler shots make him lethal. when fully toold up i give him; Toxin sacs, crushing claws, reinforced chitin, bonded exoskeleton, Adrenal glands (both) toxic miasma, enhanced senses.
    Last edited by Heirodule; March 2nd, 2009 at 22:39. Reason: i Cant type :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

96 (x1)

Ok, I have modified my list to have more troops and to include those scuttling genestealers (I think it will work really well with a lictor + broodlord&retinue). I may modify the fex for a more CC oriented (removing a gun and putting crushing claws). I really like the hive tyrant with its twin-linked devourer and scything talons. I also decided that it would be better to put more points into genestealers than using higher quality hormagaunts (they still have +1S, which is good against everybody). Apart from the fex, I think this is what I am gonna use. Thank you everyone!

Hive Tyrant 213
    Adrenal Glands (+1I)
    Implant Attack
    Toxin Sacs
    Toxic Miasma
    Winged
    Scythig Talons
    Twin-linked Devourer
    Warp Field

Broodlord 83
    Feeder Tendrils (anybody modded tendrils on a broodlord???)
    Toxin Sacs

Retinue:
    8 Genestealers 128

1 Lictor

3 Tyranid Warriors 107
    Extended Carapace
    Toxin Sacs
    Deathspitter x2
    Barbed Strangler x1
    Scything Talons x3

2x 14 Hormagaunts 2x 168
    Toxin Sacs

2x 9 Genestealers 171
    Scuttlers

8 Gaunts 64
    Spinefists
    Without Number

15 Gaunts 90
    Fleshborer

2 Zoanthropes 110
    Warp Blast x2

1 Carnifex 148
    Enhanced Senses
    Barbed Strangler
    Venom Canon
    Last edited by dapredator66; March 10th, 2009 at 19:38.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast