A fex with Spinebanks and warrior question. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A fex with Spinebanks and warrior question.

I am fairly new to the game, havent actually played a game yet, but have been studying the tyranids for well over 2 years now. I just dont have the money for begin playing heh...anyways, back to the question at hand. I have assembled and painted my carnifex, and I beleived at the time it was a good build, just for a decent fex, but now I am beginning to doubt because I see people building the elite choice fexes, or sniper fexes way more than hybrid fexes. So here is my Fex now, as he stands.

Carnifex:
    Adrenal Glands (WS)
    Bio-Plasma
    Spine Banks
    Flesh Hooks
    Venom Cannon
    Scything Talons
    Extended Carapace (Sv)
    Enhanced Senses (BS)

I molded on a kind of antenna for the Enhanced Senses since shooting any ranged weapon with a BS of 2 didnt seem smart, and it doesnt say I cant use 2 head biomorphs. The spine banks are for an extra shot in the shooting phase before I charged in. Now as you can see I have both Spine Banks and Flesh Hooks, both give the frag grenades ability, but flesh hooks allow my fex to cross vertically impassible terrain where others cannot, giving him a slight edge in a few cases. Basically I geuss I want to know if Spine Banks, or even a hybrid fex is worth it now, or just a liability in an army.

Now for my warrior question, and this is a bit of a novice question, but my Warrior sprue didnt come with an "enhanced senses" bio morph piece to set onto the warriors, and since my warriors use ranged weapons, I want enhanced senses. I looked and looked, but there are no bitz that seem to fit the roll of "enhanced senses" maybe I missed a piece, but I would like to know if I made a mistake in grafting antenna for them if there is a peice for it.

Thank you all for you time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I geuss since im in the Army List section as well ill post the army I plan on procuring once I get the funds and feel like painting them.

HQ:
    Hive Tyrant
    Winged
    Scything Talons
    Rending Claws
    Warp Field

Brood Lord
    Toxin Sacs
    Feeder Tendrils
    RetinueX10
    Toxin Sacs

Elite:
    WarriorX5
    Enhanced Senses
    Leaping
    Barbed Strangler
    DeathspitterX4
    Scything TalonsX5

Screamer-Killer
    Bio-Plasma
    Scything TalonsX2
    Adrenal Glands (WS)
    Flesh Hooks

Dakkafex
    Enhanced Senses
    Twin-Linked DevourersX2

Troops:
    HormagauntsX20
    Toxin Sacs
    Adrenal Glands (I)

GenestealersX10
    Feeder Tendrils

Heavy Support:
    Carnifex
    Adrenal Glands (I) (WS)
    Bio-Plasma
    Toxin Sacs
    Spine Banks
    Flesh Hooks
    Extended Carapace
    Scything Talons
    Venom Cannon

ZoanthropesX3
    Warp Blast

This is a 1750 point army, I am trying to finish up getting what I need for it, The only fex thats permanent is the heavy support one. As well as the warriors, because I have the assembled and painted. I beleive a have a good number of points left, but I dont know where to put them, or if I should remove something and add Termagaunts in, C&C would be heavily appreciated.

A Vespertine Viper's Nest Of Sublime Wickedness
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

Uber fexes rarely, if ever, win back their own points. It's better to go for one less than 200pts in any situation, unless it's an apoc game. My ninjafex (2x scything talons, ws, toxic miasma, 113pts) kills as much, if not more, than my 280pt killer close combat fex. Don't mix roles either, keep a fex either shooty or stabby, not both.

The rest of the list...

Hive Tyrant. Rending claws are USELESS on a monstrous creature. Srsly. Go for another pair of talons.

Broodlord: toxin sacs are a poor choice in a BL's retinue, I'd rather take scything talons. Give him ext carapace for power armour as well.

Warriors: drop the leaping, drop the enhanced senses. For blast weapons they're pointless, and you want to keep them at range... if you DO want to get into combat, go for rending claws/STs.

Screamer-killer... ok, flesh hooks are a wasted point, for a start. Bio-plasma is the WORST thing you can give a CC fex, as it has to strike before your normal attacks and your opponent can deny you the rest of your attacks if you're just in base contact with a single model by killing that. Try the ninjafex (see above). Hitting marines on 3s!

Dakkafex: tried and tested, can't fault it.

Troops: that hormagaunt brood is 260 points and is a one hit wonder. Go for stealers instead. Or, as you need a couple of units for holding objectives, take some w/o number gaunts. At the moment you have nothing but assault broods, and sitting them on an objective is a waste.

Stealers: ok, I don't like feeder tendrils. Some people swear by them, I'm not one of them. I prefer flesh hooks as initiative is the stealers biggest advantage. Drop the tendrils, give em hooks, and bung scuttlers on them and have outflanking fun.

Uberfex: covered already

zoanthropes: one psychic power is wasted. Give them synapse or psychic scream as well.

As a general guideline, you should have 4 scoring units as a minimum in 5th ed. You have 2, and they're both rather fragile and would be wasted by sitting them on an objective.
    Guardian of DMC's mighty pink thong.

Free Cookies Inside!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok last night I did a new list, this one hopefully covers the spectrum better, and fills the gaps I had before. As I said before, I am keeping my uberfex the way he is, only because he is built, and his point value is well below 200, 15 points below, but hey, its still below. And correct me if im wrong, but how is bio-plasma bad? You get a single extra close combat attack at double your initiative, that hits on a 4+ regardless of weapon skill, at the creatures strength. How would another player strip you of your other attacks when you use it? Isnt that kinda against the rules to deny a model of all its attacks? Not to mention if he also had a tail, I dont like the tail biomorphs because the need to have so many models in base contact, but hey, its one or two extra attacks that might wipe something out. Anyways, this is my new army list I made last night till 6AM.....

HQ:
    Hive Tyrant-166
    Wings
    Scything TalonsX2
    Warp Field

Broodlord-90
    Extended Carapace
    Toxin Sacs

Elite:
    WarriorsX5-170
    Toxin Sacs
    Scything TalonsX5
    DeathspitterX4
    Barbed Strangler

Dakkafex-113
    Enhanced Senses
    TL DevoX2

Ninjafex-113
    Adrenal Glands (WS)
    Toxic Miasma
    Scything TalonsX2

Troops:
    Termagaunts, 2 units, 20 models-160
    Fleshborer

Hormagaunt, 1 unit, 10 models-140
    Adrenal Glands (I)(WS)
    Toxin Sacs

Genestealers, 4 units, 24 models-438
    ScuttlersX18
    (the last group of 6 is part of the Broodlords retinue, I left them vanilla, but are thinking of feeder tendrils for one group, for the hormagaunts when they reach the line, will have that second chance to hit, since the feeder tendrils ability goes to an area around the unit with them, but thats a small chance.)

Heavy Support:
    Carnifex-185
    Adrenal Glands (WS)
    Bio-Plasma
    Enhanced Senses
    Extended Carapace
    Flesh Hooks
    Spine Banks
    Toxin Sacs
    Scything Talons
    Venom Cannon

Carnifex-173
    Enhanced Senses
    Extended Carapace
    Barbed Strangler
    Venom Cannon

That would be my new army list, its not a Nidzilla army persay, it has a lot of fexes, but not nearly as many as I could. I have a good amount of gaunts to soak up fire, but I am wondering if the termagaunts need Without Number. I beleive the amount of Genestealers I have with scuttlers is more than enough, 3 units of 6 is a good amount to scuttle up before the Broodlord and his retinue bust into their back lines. Again with the broodlord hopfully tieing up a few key units, the Tyrant will be on the lines soon with the Hormagaunts to tie up a few more things, followed by the Fexes, and the termagaunts are for objective holding, 2 units running around snagging objectives, other than that they have a good chance of dealing a few casualties if its not an objective based mission.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

The Genestealers, I'd play less of them but equip them with Carapace and Tendrils/Hooks. The jump from 5+ to 4+ is HUGE, and both tendrils and hooks can be very useful. If you play in scenarios with no cover, then ignore the hooks, but feeder tendrils are too good to ignore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See I was told that tendrils are a 50/50 thing, some people love them, other hate them. Now im in the middle, I see their usefulness, but at the same time, I dont think I really need them. If it does turn out it will be a better point sink, ill get em in there, shaving points at this stage is simple. Also, the Broodlords retinue I can just equip the Broodlord with the feeder tendrils, its way cheaper than giving them all feeder tendrils when the broodlord can just give them all the ability.
    Last edited by Carniphalanx; March 23rd, 2009 at 21:44.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

Look at it this way. You assault with a 10-strong brood, so that's 30 attacks. Suppose they hit their enemy on 4+. That means, on average, 15 of them will hit. With tendrils, 22-23 attacks would hit instead. That's 6-7 extra hits, the same you would get for having 4 more genestealers without tendrils (4 stealers deal 12 attack on assault, and 6 would hit). But you only spent 10 points on it!
    Now imagine you, instead, hit on 5+. of the 30 attacks, 10 hit, plus 6-7 hits from the tendrils. Almost as good as hitting on 4+.

As an added bonus, if other broods (ANY brood, not just GS's) without tendrils come within 2'' of a model with tendrils, they gain the benefits too!

Really, if you don't have points for feeder tendrils, you should cut a miniature and add them.

EDIT: Plus, they make your minis look much better. And if you really have to model them yourself, they aren't that hard to make.
    Last edited by Lemt; March 24th, 2009 at 04:05.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunantly, my box only came with a few feeder tendril heads, so most of the time, I have to green goo it up for anything I actually want that I dont readily have. This afternoon while I had some time I came up with a relatively new army list, its a blitz army if there ever was one, im not sure how it will work because I dont have the models, and ive never played before, so yeah. This is my new army list, what I will probably be using once I have the money to buy the models I need.

HQ:
    Hive Tyrant-168
    Winged
    Warp Field
    Scything Talons

Broodlord-83
    Extended Carapace (Sv)
    Feeder Tendrils
    Genestealer RetinueX6-120
    Extended Carapace (Sv)

Elites:
    Tyranid WarriorsX5-175
    Extended Carapace (Sv)
    Toxins Sacs (S)
    Scything TalonsX5
    DeathspitterX4
    Barbed Strangler

LictorX3-240

Troops:
    Genestealers, 2 units, 12 models-276
    Extended Carapace (Sv)
    Scuttlers

Fast Attack:
    RavenersX3-138
    Scything Talons & Rending Claws
    Deathspitter

Heavy Support:
    Gunfex-148
    Enhanced Senses (BS)
    Barbed Strangler
    Venom Cannon

Carnifex-152
    Adrenal Glands (I)(WS)
    Bio-Plasma
    Spine Banks
    Flesh Hooks
    Scything Talons
    Venom Cannon

ZoanthropesX3-195
    Warp Blast
    Psychic Scream

Now let me explain how I would work the army, and what I would be thinking of changing. Now Broodlord and his retinue infiltrate in, if the rules allow, and start my slaughter, as the other two genestealer groups close in with the Hive Tyrant close behind. Lictors and Raveners deepstrike in, and raise hell on the flanks of their forces, all this mayhem hopefully allowing my carnifex's to close the distance, obviously not the gunfex, but my other fex yes. Zoanthropes get into range, scream it out, and pop some shots off into the crowd. With this list im hoping to just all out surprise the enemy, and rip his lines to shreds before he even moves, its risky, but fun.

Now note this is a 1750 army, but I have only about 1698 points, not sure what to spend the last amount on, if anything. My other plan was to remove the Thropes, and add a Ninjafex, or a Dakkafex, even another Gunfex, just another fex instead of the Thropes. But I like Thropes, and I would lose a good amount of AP firepower. Lictors have to stay, and Raveners I would like more of, so I might even drop a Thrope or two to make room for 2 or 3 more Raveners to intensify the back line mayhem. C&C is more than welcome, and this is based on hopeful tournament play in a few months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

Umm Fenrix? How could you possible have only one model in base contact after an assault that Bio-Plasma would kill? Also how is that a bad thing?

With 5th Bio-Plasma has become a nice choice for a CC fex in my opinion. You will ALWAYS be in base contact with more than one enemy model thanks to the new counter charge rule when you assault. This means you could potentially get a kill off at their I value when playing against standard Marines and their cousins. In 4th you could have ended up with only one opponent, but in 5th that's almost impossible to pull off unless they charge you.

On to the list.

I like your HQ's. I'm personally more a fan of the Dakka Flyrant but have heard good things about a CC Flyrant. BL is a good choice in almost every scenario especially with FT.

Elites: I like the warrior brood. Lovely blast template goodness there. The lictors though...While they look awesome on paper, but (as you will hear from me time and again if I see you running them) they are really hit or miss when it comes to actually doing something. They are best when they can manage to hit at the same turn, but as pheremones doesn't give them re-rolls, it can be hard. I run one only when I have things in reserve, that I really want to get in quickly, like spore mines, but hardly ever three. It's just hard for them to make back their points most of the time. Consider they have to kill about 5 marines in order to get their points. That can be a tall order. Just remember to throw them into smaller squads to minimize the damage the enemy does back. Or just hunt tanks with them. That tends to be what I do with them nowadays.

Troops: Just genestealers hmm? If you play objective at all I would recommend a small group of WoN gaunts unless you find you can annhilate your opponent with consistency.

Fast Attack: Raveners....I really don't know what to say. I like them, and if you have the models great. Just bear in mind they, like the Lictor, aren't always as kickass as you hope they will be.

Heavy Support: Sniperfex, good. Zoas good. Carnifex...As above, you want to keep them focused. If you want a CC fex drop the VC for another set of ST or maybe CC if you prefer. If you want a shooty fex, drop the ST, and CC upgrades for more dakka. Also running a VC on a fex without ES? You're just asking for him to not hit anything all game. If you wanna run a heavier boomfex, go ahead, but swap VC for BS if you don't plan on giving him ES. Oh, and why do neither of them have EC? I would say the gunfex might not need it, but it's going to be a big boon to a CC fex.
    Tyranids & Daemons: Soul & Biomatter please.

LO Rules

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, as I said before, the point of the list is to deep strike/infiltrate as much as possible into the enemy as soon as possible, making it hard for them to make a coherent counter attack when I have so many units in their lines. A Broodlord and his retinue in their lines, as well as 3 lictors can be hell, add on top of that raveners soon after, followed by the two genestealer groups and the Tyrant, and last the fexes and thropes. Basically im tieing them up with the deepstrike and infiltrating units, until the fexes can have a go, but it depends on the mission. This probably would do best on an annhilation mission, but as far as capture missions, id be using another list. I am still going back and forth on what I want and what I have. I basically have all the models from the battleforce, and battle for macragge, which has given me a very good amount of termagaunts, and genestealers, but im lacking on most of everything else. Like I said, when I get the money, ill be thinking more heavily on my final list, and what I want, atm im working on a way to fix the carnifex that has the ST and VC, as I have him assembled, and now I need him dissasembled.

Odds are, in the end, ill have a Flyrant, Broodlord, the 5 Warriors, two Dakkafex, 3 broods of genestealers, one being a retinue, a good force of termagaunts, a gunfex, a meleefex, and thropes if I can fit them, if not that force will be decent enough to slaughter anything I go against in most cases, odds are ill make room for the thropes, only because I really like the good AP and radius of the attacks they have. I thank everyone for their feedback, and im working towards a final list here eventually lol.

+ Reply to Thread