[1500pts] How this for a first-timer?? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x1)

[1500pts] How this for a first-timer??

Calling all orky vets! It's been a while since I've played 40k and, in my attempts to rejoin the fold, have stubbed my gamer's toe on the hilarious Ork book. Cut a short story shorter....

...Love the models. Love the fluff. Love the rules. Want to play them.

Have come up with this list based on what I want to get out of playing greenies - namely bikers, wagons and gretchin!

Thought I'd post here to ask for some sage advice. What do you think?

Warboss – 155 pts.
    Shoota-Skorcha/Power Klaw/Warbike/Attack Squig/Cybork Body

Warboss – 155 pts.
    Shoota-Skorcha/Power Klaw/Warbike/Attack Squig/Cybork Body

5 Nob Bikers – 350 pts.
    1 Painboy w/ Warbike/Cybork Body
    1 Nob w/ Warbike/Shoota-Skorcha/Power Klaw/Cybork Body/Waagh Banner
    1 Nob w/ Warbike/Shoota-Skorcha/Big Choppa/Cybork Body
    1 Nob w/ Warbike/Slugga/Big Choppa/Cybork Body/Bosspole
    1 Nob w/ Warbike/Slugga/Big Choppa/Cybork Body

5 Nob Bikers – 350 pts.
    1 Painboy w/ Warbike/Cybork Body
    1 Nob w/ Warbike/Shoota-Skorcha/Power Klaw/Cybork Body/Waagh Banner
    1 Nob w/ Warbike/Shoota-Skorcha/Big Choppa/Cybork Body
    1 Nob w/ Warbike/Slugga/Big Choppa/Cybork Body/Bosspole
    1 Nob w/ Warbike/Slugga/Big Choppa/Cybork Body

10 Gretchin – 40 pts.
    1 Runtherd

20 Boyz – 160 pts.
    1 Nob w/ Power Klaw/Bosspole

Battlewagon – 130 pts.
    Deff Rolla/Red Paint Job/Grot Riggers/Big Shoota/Big Shoota

TOTAL – 1340 pts.

So I have 160 pts spare and probably need some support. What do I spend them on?

Q

Last edited by Quannum; March 24th, 2009 at 13:03.
    Was this post helpful? Please click the Thumbs Up button to the left if it was. Cheers!

Quannum, funkin' out in every way. Since 1987.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x5)

Looks pretty solid! But there are a few things I would suggest changing..

Warboss: Lose the Boss Pole, and instead give it to a Nob Biker. If your Warboss leaves the unit, or is slain in combat, the Bikers will lose its effect.

Nob Bikers: Two Power Klaws is probably overkill, especially since your Warbosses have one each. If you drop one Power Klaw and one Big Choppa per unit, you'll save 30 points each.

Grots: Good

Boyz: Good

Deff Koptas: You need two more. As is, if they were to suffer two wounds, you'd have to take a Morale check at LD 7. They're likely to break after your opponents first round of shooting. I'm not sure where you'll find the points though. As you need 90 total.

Battle Wagon: Deff Rollas are a must have! Well.. that's a matter of opinion But I consider them vital! There's nothing quite like Tank Shocking (forcing an LD check), inflicting d6 Str 10 wounds, and possibly forcing a second LD check! This is fantastic when you want to keep your boyz alive for another fight, as more often than not, they'll slaughter an opponent, then get rapid-fired to death during their next turn.. tank shocking those shooty units can save your boyz a TON of teef in health insurance!

If you can find 110 points to make those two changes, then I think your list would be superb! Prehaps by removing the Attack Squigs from the Warbosses, the second Power Klaw, both Big Choppas and one Kombi-Skorcha from each Nob squad, you'll have the points needed.

Likewise, if you remove the Stikkbomm Chukka from the Battlewagon, you could buy back one of those Kombi-Skorchas / Big Choppas.. Stick-Bomms are usually useless for Orks, as they have such a low I to begin with..

Just a few things for you to consider Welcome to the Waaagh!
    I've recently become a fan of this thing called Dubstep. And you should too.
    Datsik & Flux Pavillion - Crunch (Youtube)
    Da Moo Kowz is da drinkinest Orks of dem all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x1)

Thanks for the advice! So I've edited the list in the original post taking some of your pointers.

Can't find the points for a solid Deffkopta unit so I now have 160 pts spare.

How good are Burnas in a Trukk?

Stormboys?

Q
    Last edited by Quannum; March 24th, 2009 at 13:17.
    Was this post helpful? Please click the Thumbs Up button to the left if it was. Cheers!

Quannum, funkin' out in every way. Since 1987.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Welcome!

First, welcome to the Orks! Have you read the topic in the 2008 Ork forum called 'the basics'? If not, I'd definitely check it out. It's a good basic guide to Orks that a few people, myself included, put together.

Are you trying to make those units of nob bikers 'unique', with each member different? If so, I'm afraid they aren't. The bosspole and waaaaugh banner are upgrades given to the unit, not specific models in the unit. This is good, as it means you won't lose them early, but they won't make the bikers unique. I'd only give combi-scorchas to nobz with powerklaws, so you don't lose the extra CCW attack, and I'd drop the big choppas. They don't ignore armor saves, and you lose the extra CCW attack. Stastically, you're paying 5 points for nothing.

I'd use shoota boyz in the battlewagon, and I'd also give them 2 big shootas. Battlewagons filled with shoota boyz make great gunboats, and will support the rest of your army very well.

If you drop the red paint, 1 big shoota off the battlewagon, all the big choppas, 1 combi-scorcha from each unit of nobz, and the attack squigs, this will give you 240 points to play with. I'd add another nob to each of the unit of bikers and a unit of 3 rokkit buggies. A trukk full of slugga boyz would also work well.

Good luck!
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x4)

Very poor..... nah looks fun I think spend the 160 points on another 20 boys.
    Last edited by DoctorDogmeat; March 30th, 2009 at 14:26.

+ Reply to Thread